Agnostic.com

15 2

Is it a good idea to get romantically involved with a good friend?

How's that work out?

atheist 8 Dec 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not anymore...lol. Never your neighbor. Never your wife's friend. Never in this town. Never on Facebook. Now if your single ---- go have some fun!

I have no idea.

On the one hand, I'm under the idea that you have to be friends with your partner before you can call him/her your boyfriend/girlfriend, and then spouse. On the other, if you become friends, then the relationship can't progress further because it would "hurt the friendship".

well, it's a good idea to be good friends with your partner but probably not.

If you think it WILL work, go for it!!!! What could be better than being best friends with your significant other!

Don’t think I’ve ever had the opportunity to make that potential mistake… Was married for too long, and too loyal at that.. Any more, if I were that attracted to an available friend, and the feeling was mutual, why not..?

Varn Level 8 Dec 5, 2017

This usually gets me in the "friend zone" pretty quick but I kind of want the person i end up staying with long term to be my best friend. if i can't be good friends with a woman first then how the hell can a romantic relationship work? I want to be able to trust her with everything.
So yes...get romantic with your friend...if it doesnt work out then why won't you still be friends after? ive been there and it only sucked the first few weeks we split...then we realized we made better platonic friends and we've never been closer.

Well, I've never gotten romantically involved with a friend. It might or might not work out. Care to provide a bit more info?

My strategy now is to first find a friend and then develop that friendship into something even more special than friends.

Only to aid you in this delicate relationship decision.

If things don't work out almost guarantee you won't be near as good of friends. That's really the only issue I've had with getting involved with a friend.

Sex can ruin a good friendship. Tread carefully.

If the feeling is there then thats why you would treat her better than a good friend, but I would like to try rather than treating her like I would a lover and expecting nothing in return cause the feeling of being next to someone you love and knowing you can't be with her is just unbearable

I'm confused because if you get romantic with a good friend isn't it the start of a relationship? On the other hand if you have sex with a good friend you don't know if it will affect the relationship or not.

No you can have sex without romance/feelings.

It can be, yes! It is risky, though - can be hard to keep the friendship if the romance flames out. Talk about those fears up front, there is no shame in considering a change and deciding no. My 2 cents... Good luck.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on so many things.

If it's mutual and not just wishful thinking, then go for it. After the honeymoon is over, friendship is what you'll need to stick it out together anyway...

I always thought that was the ideal situation - to be in love with a good friend.

Of course, it needs to be mutual. And if it doesn't work out romantically, it's always good to discuss the possibility that the friendship might be over as well.

I'd say it's pretty much a given that the friendship is over. Two people with two separate desires which are that far apart isn't going to work.

nope - not a given. I have a couple good friends in my life that once were lovers, and yet remain friends. It's all about what people decide...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6755
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.