Agnostic.com

4 6

LINK Biden signs executive order to protect abortion access

The order aims to safeguard access to reproductive health care services, including abortion and contraception.

snytiger6 9 July 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

He's a great POTUS yet Dems continue to treat him as if he's not. Get on the Dem train, Dems.

He is pathetic. What part of his most honest campaign promise did you not hear? "Nothing will fundamentally change"... The only improvement over Trump that he gave us was better leadership on Covid, and nowadays, even that has gone away. Nobody in his admin. even talks about Covid anymore.
He hasn't even gotten rid of DeJoy at the Postal Service, and he could have done that without even getting any cooperation from Manchin or Sinema, but he just doesn't care, even about saving our Postal Service.

@TomMcGiverin I heavily disagree with that assessment. POTUS Joe got 2 Board members approved so they can now fire DeJoy, who is not really a problem for us until voting day (maybe not even then since we now have a full Board to manage him) so he's not a priority. Biden has been busy. To say COVID is no better, as a result of Biden, is absurd so I won't go into that. It's still a problem because of new strains and lack of public obedience for health measures. The public doesn't want to hear Dems talk about COVID so they don't. This is smart. He has kept most, if not all, of his campaign promises or tried to and been blocked.

@rainmanjr I guess, unlike me, you don't know anyone who still works at the post office and knows what is still going on with the USPS.

@TomMcGiverin The question is how much DeJoy affects voting in America. Not how effectively they deliver mail.

@rainmanjr No, the state of the Postal Service matters all the time, and every year, not just elections. I will not bother educating you on how destroying and then privatizing the USPS has been a bipartisan project for some years now, well before DeJoy, and will instead let you find out on your own once it is gone and you get a monthly bill from UPS or Fed EX for your mail delivery.

@TomMcGiverin I'm referring to its political value. DeJoy can't harm the system of mail-in ballots under this Board or POTUS so that threat is neutered. The Postal system's social value is high (I don't need any more "educating" on it but thanks) but that's a departmental and fluctuating thing. Not appropriate for a POTUS to get involved in. POTUS Joe has gotten Congress to lift the double pension requirement so that will help a lot.

@rainmanjr I don't care about the political value. That's as crass as saying Biden should let the Roe decision just slide so it can be used in the midterms. It's bullshit indifference like that to real problems on the ground that affect ordinary people, that make so many average people hate the Dems and the Repubs, because the pols in DC only care about optics and the short term value of issues for using them as election fodder. I am done with you... Jeez, and I thought I was overly cynical...

@TomMcGiverin Politicians care only about the political value of anything. It's as tribal as everything else.

Is Biden trying to show how weak a leader he is? He certainly could and should do so much more. If he can't handle the job, he should resign and let Harris show what she can do. (That's a scary thought)

He is only the President, not the King. He has limited powers and without a super majority to help in Congress to move his agenda, little can happen. If Republicans get a majority in either chamber in November, his next two years in office will be like watching a beached fish trying to breathe.

On this we will disagree. I'm unsure why you think Harris can do so much more, other than because she's female and males have bought the view that females are loving super-heroes, forgetting that our world has seen a number of them as leaders and little (if any) progress (Thatcher's return may be imminent). I like Harris but POTUS Joe has far more experience and navigating the halls of Congress rather well (considering the restrictions). He got 3 bipartisan bills and the nation does seem to be more unified around getting healthier. I agree that DoJ is being slow but that, too, is like DeJoy. The mid-term is about Congress so prosecuting 45's band of scary men, including him, is proceeding deliberately. We have until early 2024 for that to result in a Dem WH win.

@rainmanjr I was being facetious about Harris. I have no confidence in her. But I have lost confidence in Biden. I give him kudos for what he has passed, but that is pathetic given what he came in with. I know his efforts were sabotaged by the boll weevils, but the Senate should have voted each issue to get the GQP on record. Also, Biden has been terrible at messaging. The exception being Psaki. Psaki was great.

@racocn8 Psaki was okay but I pay little attention to any WH Press Secretary. They all sell the WH line but she did it well, I guess. Biden was using a soft voice and patience to heal the disunity and that has worked, some. I noticed he has been more forceful of delivery in the past few days. Possibly a change of tone to fit the events or more of a campaign posture. I respect your view but don't share it.

@racocn8 [dailykos.com]

@rainmanjr I wanted Biden to run in 2016, and understand why he didn't. I support Biden in what he's done. However, I believe announcing that he wouldn't add justices to SCOTUS was a big mistake. As noted in the article, his response to Dobbs has been weak, and the details in the Presidential Order seem pathetic and only barely useful.

Biden has not only failed to keep his promise in decriminalizing cannabis, but has acted in bad faith. He fir staffers on his way in who tested positive, seeems to have done nothing to help the many bills in Congress, and worst of all, done nothing to pardon the thousands of people, many of color, who are incarcerated for nothing more than possession.

He needs an aggressive spokesperson (like Psaki) to make up for his own poor image. I give him credit for trying, but with all the talent in the wings, and what's gone on the last 5 years, the Democratic performance should be much, much stronger. I believe the stakes are too high for Biden to run again. Democrats must reach out to the younger generation. I wish I could believe Biden was a way to do that.

@racocn8 Maybe it's just because I'm high but I don't recall POTUS Joe as ever having been pro-decriminalization of pot. At best he won't stand in the way if Congress approves it but he's not promised to fight for it himself. If he were to announce not running then he's a lame duck as of now. Dems would get trampled by the Cons and laughed out of seats before the next election (in which we start by saying our last candidate wasn't so great). I don't think he should do that. We get our Primary and can choose someone then. Biden will probably admit to having lost (if he does).

Can Congress overturn this order? I don't know enough about that act.

Not without at least a 2/3 majority. Why would we want to, though? Women called for POTUS Joe to do something and this is it.

@rainmanjr I'm concerned that, if Congress gets to ''vote''....it'll go the way of Roe!

@LucyLoohoo I don't think that's possible but they can nullify it by codifying Roe, or ERA with a designation for citizen's Rights beginning at birth.

@rainmanjr I like your ideas rather than my pessimism.

@LucyLoohoo Thanks. I look for solutions.

Good for Biden. Let's see how long it takes for the Supreme Court to shut it down and tell he has been a bad boy.

Their decision limiting action by Agencies might be how Cons attack this order.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:675772
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.