Agnostic.com

4 7

The climate crisis is the biggest threat we face. Period. Full stop.

Flyingsaucesir 8 July 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Really???

We’ve been going to die in three years for the past 25 years. That’s why Obama purchased a house on the beach in Martha’s Vineyard. Being one of the top 3 most informed men on earth; he knows that the polar caps are melting and that house will be gone in three years.

Similar to how it was going to be gone 25 years ago.

Who said anything about 3 years? This is a catastrophe that will play out over centuries.

It is also true we are seeing effects measurable on the scale of years or decades, so rapid are the changes taking place.

The effects of increased greenhouse gases are all around us: melting glaciers, rising sea levels, intense and prolonged drought and resultant forest fires, increased atmospheric moisture and resultant flooding, movement of habitat ranges of some species (including pathogenic ones) toward the poles or uphill as they seek to compensate for higher temperatures, extinction of species that cannot move or have nowhere to go, melting of permafrost and resultant release of methane and CO2, etc., etc. All of these things were predicted by climate scientists, but the changes are happening faster than expected. The pace of change is accelerating.

@Flyingsaucesir the United States is one of the cleanest nations on earth.
Im not willingly changing shit until the liberal cry babies fix China, Russia, Africa, and South America first.

Climate change is nothing more than a taxation money grab system that the ignorant support.

@CourtJester Through the 20th century the USA was the greatest polluter on Earth, producing a quarter of all greenhouse gases with only 5% of the world's human population.

@Flyingsaucesir

You spelled China wrong.

The problem is these theocrats don't care about climate change, because they all believe Jesus is coming back soon and the world is ending with that, so things like climate change don't matter. They want the world to end as soon as possible so they can see Jesus ASAP. The rest of us don't matter to them, either...

That's their superior Jesus-inspired morality. The rest of us are going to hell anyway.

Three years ago I claimed that Christianity posed an existential threat to the species. Sucks to be me.

POTUS Joe is aware of that and making inroads internationally. Since we are stymied politically much is being done to promote technologies. That might be our best hope, anyway. It will also be great for economies around the world since buying equipment and building new things circulate money better than legislation.

On this issue we should already be on a war footing. We should have already nationalized the entire fossil fuel industry and be winding it down while pouring all of its profits into green energy alternatives. As it is, we are left as individuals to try and reduce our carbon footprints as best we can. And there is a lot we can do as individuals. Personally, I have sworn off flying. I recycle every scrap of paper. I have reduced my driving down to less than half the national average. I drive a compact car. I take short showers, and skip as many as possible. I have reduced my consumption of meat, and all but eliminated beef from my diet. I use only LED lights in my house, and don't leave lights on where I don't need them. Solar panels and an electric car are coming in the not too distant future.

@Flyingsaucesir Shoulds and Could haves. I live a monastic life, don't anticipate flying again, reuse materials, power drive, shower only when necessary, never wash the car (how dumb was that at any time?), also mostly eliminated beef, use LED's, and might be in the market for a Prius. But individual effort is not going to save the day (most likely). New technologies and architecture will help a lot more. I guess we'll see if it's enough.

@rainmanjr You are absolutely right: what we do as individuals will not be enough. Not until we are all moving in the same direction, with a national/international concerted effort backed by government policies and rules favorable to transition.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:675784
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.