Agnostic.com

3 2

The big question. Where did life come from? Where did it all start? Is there a higher power? What's the meaning of life? All what I consider to be the big question or big questions.

People will argue these questions to the point of nausea. Problem is many people simply can't accept "I don't know". Accept it or not but it's the truth. Yes there are theories, etc but humans don't KNOW. As humans we must continue to learn and try to answer these questions even though the answers appear to be far out of reach. Science has answered many questions which in turn has raised many more.

Anyone or any group claiming to have the answers are nothing more than snake oil salesmen. Anyone who has stopped asking these questions has stopped growing and when society stops asking these questions all humankind dies.

So I say please let's continue to ask these questions but as we do let's not forget that we don't have the answers and accept our ignorance.

FvckY0u 8 July 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I pretty much agree with you, but would point out that while we don't know the right answers, we do know a lot of wrong answers, and that can help focus our inquiries and help ignore those who claim to have all the answers.

A bit like the game where you guess the number of sweets in a jar. There are obviously a lot more than one and a lot less than a million, but getting close to the accurate number isn't easy.

After over 60 years I feel that I have hit upon an answer to those four questions (not one) that I'm happy with. It affects nobodies Rights and I offer it as possible answers for others. If they say no to it then that's fine (so long as they're not going with ideas which do affect the Rights of others). I can't prove my answers are right but quantum science seems to be supportive of it. Should that science demonstrate it wrong then my answers would need adjusting (though they may still work in a personal manner). The advantage, I find, of my belief is that it relieves anxiety. The disadvantage is that my stark lifestyle no longer fits in prior friendships. I wish everyone well but do not believe we actually exist so it doesn't matter.

Yes, saying "I don't know" is often a mark of intelligence! Better than saying "Because God made it so!"

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:676134
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.