Agnostic.com

7 17

LINK Edmonton church fined $80,000 for obstructing COVID health inspections

A Christian pastor in Edmonton, along with her church, will be fined $80,000 for threatening the public’s health and safety by refusing to cooperate with health inspections meant to make sure COVID safety measures were in place.

Last year, as COVID was still wreaking havoc across the country, public health inspectors in Alberta were tasked to make sure people were wearing masks and social distancing. Churches weren’t immune from the rules that applied to all gatherings.

But Pastor Tracy Fortin of Church in the Vine refused to allow those inspectors to come inside her building on multiple occasions. That’s illegal. Section 71 of Alberta’s Public Health Act says “No person shall obstruct, molest, hinder or interfere” with someone whose job is keeping the public safe. There’s no religious exemption to that law. Christians don’t have some special right to spread COVID just because they’re ignorant of how viruses work, or because they don’t give a damn about the health of their neighbors, or because they believe churches shouldn’t be subject to any government regulations.

This was about safety, not interfering with the services, yet Fortin denied inspectors entry on three separate occasions. (She claimed past visits had been “disruptive and disturbing,” though there’s no proof of that.) ...

snytiger6 9 July 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The fine should have been more. So, they would close down.

The rats that would have been forced to desert that particular sinking ship of god would have gone to infest another ship of god.

"God saves those who believe in God."

That seems to be their belief, but from what I've read in the news about superspreader events at evangelical churches, it appears that science and medicine have a better track record than religious faith in helping people avoid illness and death from Covid.....

@TomMcGiverin Quite. Putting it another way, why should all those pesky little facts be allowed to interfere with my delusions?

Consider it a tax on arrogant asses recklessly endangering public health.

Should have been thrown in jail.

Good! Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of crazies.

There is alot of things I disagree with from churches. Yet the right to gather or constitutional assembly I do agree with for all groups of people .
Covid has completely destroyed my sculpture business and one third of Canadian small businesses that have been destroyed by covid. It's the greatest lie and crime I've ever experienced in my lifetime. Only the wealthy are the winners and I bet most of them don't take the vaccines or wear masks all the time.

Your opinion is noted.

The church in question was not denied the right of assembly, this was about making that assembly safer in re to public health.

@jlynn37 He seems to have overlooked all the deaths in Italy during the early days of Covid when the government failed to act soon enough to close businesses and require masking, people sheltering at home, etc..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:677117
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.