Agnostic.com

11 8

LINK Why I, as an Atheist, Am No Longer a Humanist

I really like the cut of this Dude's jib. Know what I mean? Will you explain it to me? haha. Just kidding. Sagan was brutally honest but much smarter than that self-centered brat, Kant. haha.

rainmanjr 8 July 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, it's great, thanks to that, I expand my knowledge in all aspects. wordle hint

I was formerly a member of the Humanist group but, as time went on, I saw more and more how the worship of humans was sacrosanct. The idea of social/Environmental justice started to irk me. After numerous letters and head butting with the 'former' editor of the "Humanist" magazine I had enough and left. Problem was, my late partner portioned a part of her estate to the group. Luckily, her will was found invalid and I assumed her desires into my will. On this one I removed the Humanist and rearranged the portion to Planned Parenthood and a local sexual violence group. I know for a fact she would have agreed.

Very creative. Sorry she didn't make it.

I've not had any desire to consider myself a humanist.

I don't like us, we suck.

For reals.

We are the only species able to radically transform ecosystems with conscious effort. Unfortunately we are far too self centered and focused on ourselves as a species. We destroy too much.
I do like the idea of AI running things but only if empathetic to all life, not just human. Can have both eg humans need food but can be done whilst ensuring other life can also prosper. Have this as the driving principal rather than profit. Sustainable.
Humanist just means that one considers our own species has special considerations above other species, but that should not discount other species considerations outright. Their existence is equally as important as ours; This would be a nonhuman centric perspective of life on Earth.
Us human's get corrupted with momentary power, always will, so let an empathetic AI sort out our needs.

puff Level 8 July 21, 2022

I'm with you on AI. Along with VR I've determined they might be the only chance humanity has to survive because of their potential to eliminate waste and travel. If we can also get E-mass transit, or magnetic lift, then a lot of emissions would be gone altogether.

When big fish stop eating little fish, and lions stop eating antelopes, I will revisit and seriously consider such a perspective. Until then? Meh.

Definitely like the cut of his jib as well, and wonder if he’ll eventually outgrow his regard for moral/ethical grounding and fully unfurl his spinnaker. Also enjoy his turn of phrase, like “the narcissism of small differences.” Nice. I’ll check out his other work, as well. In the meantime, I feel like revisiting a song I like by Dave Matthews, “The Proudest Monkey:”

“… All in a day’s dream I’m stuck
Like the other monkeys here.

… But then came the day
I climbed out of these safe limbs, ventured away
Walking tall, head high up, and singing …”

Thanks. I haven't heard it before. Great song.

I do not see how the speaker's beliefs conflict with humanism. You can look at it this way: humans are separated from other beings by the fact that we are more self aware and have a higher level of consciousness which I think make us responsible to the other beings and to the planet. We are the only beings on Earth capable of rational thought (although we don't all demonstrate that ability) as well as spoken and written language. My concept of humanism involves cultivating critical thought, promoting public debate, freedom of speech, education and community service among other things. It is about demonstrating morality regardless of one's religious belief or absence of such a belief. I believe that even a person who holds religious beliefs can be a humanist.

He refers to Humanism as an idea which makes humans the masters of our planet, a human centrist philosophy, and once we accept that all life has equal significance that idea no longer works. You make a good argument, too, though.

@rainmanjr I don't think I missed the point, but maybe... in any case, I never thought of humanist as being human centric. I see the two concepts as separate.

Wr are NOT the only beings on this planet capable of rational thought, nor is there evidence that we are the most self-aware. Whales, dolphins, elephants, and the other great apes are all self-aware and capable of rational thought. What distinguishes humans from other animals is our use of a specific type of symbolic language: writing. Whales dolphins, and apes communicate via sound waves, and can be taught to read and understand graphic symbols. Even some birds can communicate in human language. So we humans are really not all that special.

@Flyingsaucesir I know that were are discovering more and more about how animals communicate. They are not nearly as able to manipulate their environment as we are. I think that puts us in a position of responsibility for the other creatures on this planet. I do not think it make us better than them or superior to them. Sorry to have offended you.

@MyTVC15 No worries; I was not offended. I simply saw an error and corrected it.

I agree that we have a special responsibility to preserve and protect the natural world. 😎👍

You do you, I do me and let's strive to love one another and to do or cause no harm.

I don't love anyone, anymore, but will go along with causing no harm to those who cause me no harm.

@rainmanjr I love all of my human family. However there are a lot of people, maybe most, I do not like, do not want to be around and do not want to have anything to do with.
To me loving means that you care about another's well being which I do for everyone.

@OldMetalHead Again, You do you and I do me.

Was this puddle created just for me? Humans are the height of creation. Why am I hearing that word too much here? Humans are superior. Only if you have lingering beliefs in religious origin. I am a humanist even though I do not like most humans. This is because I am still a human. Are you an ethical vegan? I'm wondering how your food choices got mixed up in this subject. If humans are anything special we then have to ask the question "special to what."

I am not a vegan at all.

Seems to me that he is disappointed that humanism doesn't automatically address sentientism. He is welcome to be both a humanist and a sentientist. Some of us aren't quite there yet and may never be. I feel I'm fully capable as a humanist of treating sentient beings humanely as possible without going too crazy.

I have too many questions about sentientism, such as at what point does a sperm, embryo, fetus become a sentient being? How do we know tree branches and flowers don't suffer when we cut them? How can we call ourselves compassionate pet owners or zoo keepers if the animal might prefer to out in the open, why do humans feel they know best about that?

Animals eat each other to survive. Where do we draw the line at feeling guilty when swatting a fly or mosquito? How about accidentally stepping on a bug or rolling over tiny things we can't see with our cars? I'm just not sure where the lines are drawn, so instead I just don't go out of my way to consciously try to hurt anyone or anything, but I'm human and not perfect and prefer not to be judged at where I draw my lines.

I killed a bug yesterday and felt really guilty about it. 😟

Sounds very good to me. Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

@MyTVC15 I kill bugs all the time. If that makes me a bad guy then oh well. Since I don't believe death really occurs, to our electrons (which are the soul of all lives), I do not think it's so terrible (even for humans).

I watched this recently. I kind of agree with him. The word humanist has come to mean anything these days. Even religious people call themselves this. It has become conflated with the term humanitarian, though serious review of the word is more specific. I don't use the term myself any more. It's a feel good word of little real worth now.

I agree with you. HRC sends me emails to come back but I delete them unread as I, like the video Dude, no longer see humans as anything special. In fact, I think we should go extinct before doing some real damage.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:677667
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.