Agnostic.com

41 4

How could Adam and Eve sin if they didn't know sin yet?

Adam and Eve were born sinless I assume. So how could it be considered wrong for them to eat of a tree if they had no knowledge of right and wrong in the first place?

Jeremyeatworld86 4 Dec 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments (26 - 41)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They ate of the apple, suddenly knowing right from wrong and had disobeyed the only order that their supposed creator had given them. That was their 'original sin'.

Priests are told to remain celibate and we can see how that turned out. The bigger question here is, who really gives a fuck? It's all fairy tale nonsense so why even bring it up as a topic for debate??

I agree ....this worthless question seems like asking if Gepetto was an alleged gawd when he carved Pinnochio and the miracle of life was already inside the boy every time he lied his nose grew longer and learning to tell truth made hos skin grow and nose shrink

You miss the point of the story I think... The idea is that all knowledge is "sinful" (I.E. evil) and should therefore be rejected unless received from "divine authority"...

And thus the holders of knowledge can retain mastery over the ignoramt masses.
I wrote a triple sonnet about that

The Word.

Before the spoken words of man were writ
The elders were the keepers of the word
And when a night time fire was fully lit
Youth gathered where the elders could be heard.
Each generation added to the flow
Of knowledge and the wisdom pool of man,
Such that their children's children would all know.
Thus passed our ancient knowledge down each clan.
And when two clans might meet in some great pact
Their knowledge intermingled, and this lore
Was added to the mix of myth and fact
Which spread from mountain top to distant shore.
And even once men symbolised the word,
By those who could not read, were elders heard.

Man's knowledge grew so slowly in times past
That one wise man the sum of all might know
And libraries which ancients thought were vast
Were petty to what latter men would stow.
The pious monk within his monastery
By candlelight would toil for hours long
To duplicate man's words with artistry
Disseminating them to holy throng.
Great scholars would this ancient wisdom scan
To seek out truths within philosophy
To tell how nature's ways affected man;
Risk castigation should they disagree.
For knowledge was the fief of church or state
And coloured by the dogma of the great.

Then printing presses killed monopoly
Great floods of ancient puzzles were all solved
Great men of science rolled back mystery
As physics, maths and chemistry evolved.
For human knowledge builds upon itself
And spreads like branches of a mighty tree
Each sprouting further branches. As the wealth
Of knowledge grows the faster it will be.
Each era in man's tale accelerates
Now books are left behind as being slow
The internet spreads fast, disseminates
The knowledge which all started long ago.
Till new creators will appear some day
Who, "in their image", word in DNA.

In the beginning there was the word, and the word was DNA, not GOD.

Why are you even bothering with this? "Religion", any religion, is a joke.

You make a good point. Look at source material with all it's contridictions and half truths. I think man added it in, to keep the religious fools in line.

A good question to ask a Christian. Not so much a bunch of atheists and agnostics.

gearl Level 8 Dec 5, 2017

You cannot reason out what is essentually a wonderful example of early Hebrew storytelling.

As all Courts say "Ignorance of the law is no excuse".

the argument goes that they were told to not "eat" from that "tree" though, that was like basically the only thing they were forbidden to do. But imo don't make the mistake of reading literally, like believers; its a mythology, that contains valuable wisdom.

you might ask yourself what "eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge" even means, practically speaking; the terms in there are symbolic, and the symbols are defined elsewhere in the Bible, if you have any trouble deciphering them, but really its just kinda common sense ok. "eating the fruit" would be something like "accepting a concept as viable, and utilizing it personally," a "tree" is "a certain school of thought" say, and etc

God knows.

Coffeo Level 8 July 15, 2020

The ONLY way this creation story, as well as others in Genesis, make any sense at all if one looks at things from the point of view of people who were creating myths in their effort to explain things: Why do we look the way we do? Why do we suffer? Why is it painful for women to give birth? Why do we have to work so hard to grow crops to feed ourselves? Why does this tribe rule over us? etc... etc...

If you are interested in learning more about the Genesis story, there is a great YouTube series by Robert M. Price. His knowledge of the Bible and extra biblical myths of the surrounding area is amazing. Also, the books "Who Wrote The Bible," by Richard Elliot Friedman and "101 Myths of the Bible," by Gary Greenberg are very good in putting biblical myths into perspective.

The problem is not the stories. The problem is that people take them literally and twist them around in their effort to make them conform to their theology.

The Fruit of the Tree of knowledge gave them the ability to differentiate right from wrong, i.e. what God said was right and wrong. The story is not even internally consistent so I only present the concept as it is demonstrated in the myth.

The mormons are taught in their temple ceremony (not open non-mormons!) that god warned them not partake, thus they dis-obeyed god. some the idea of 'first parents' makes sense, but science, at least so far, isn't onboard.

Because gods were created in the image of man who of course has these inherent flaws.

I think it is generally believed that the Jews adopted the creation mythology in genesis when they were in exile in Babylon and I'm not sure if there are any written records from them but as DeStijl says it is probably just about subjagation of women

Good point! Nice one

Isso é mitologia, não existe pecado original. E acho que a pergunta está sendo dirigida para o grupo errado.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6785
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.