Agnostic.com

5 3

Term limits

What do you think would be a reasonable term limit for the Senate and Congress?

Unity 7 July 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Tough one, as I'm sure there'd be many out there who would disagree with me on this regardless of what numbers I'd throw out here. Maybe anywhere between four to six years?

That aside, term limits across the board would be a good idea.

I honestly don't think it matters. If the elected official is amazing then you're doing yourself a disservice my forcing them to retire (and also now paying benefits to yet another person who ultimately takes their place). If they're bad, but keep getting elected, it's an indication that the electorate in their district/state is full of stupid people that will continue to elect assholes anyway, so you're still likely to have someone shitty in office no matter what (plus, again, paying more benefits).

Interesting point of view. It does make you wonder about the people that are continuously electing them.

@Unity Ted Cruz is the most universally fuckin' hated person in the Senate (maybe the State, country, or world for all we know). Al Franken's running joke was, "I like Ted Cruz more than most of my other colleagues like Ted Cruz. And I hate Ted Cruz." Yet he won his Senate race in Texas twice and would have been the republican nominee in '16 were it not for Trump. He's a pile of shit, but Republicans by and large are piles of shit, so he gets their votes. So if an area has a majority of shitty people, a shitty person like Cruz will be elected, and if he can't run, another shitty person will take his place collecting shitty people's shitty votes.

@ChestRockfield
But, C, tell us how you really feel !!! 😄

I would also like to see a ten year limit for SC justices.

We have term limits. They're called elections. The fact that they don't work as intended shows how badly the system is in need of reform.

I think 12 is good also, and I think there should be a good long period after that they would have to wait before being hired as a lobbyist- maybe 10 years.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:678583
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.