Agnostic.com

12 4

Is 54 too old to consider a career change? I’m comfortable and rarely challenged anymore in my position. Should I relax and ride it out for the next 10 years or so; or look for another adventure? I have a history of changing jobs about every 5 years because I get bored, which is fine when you’re young, but I don’t consider myself young anymore. Do any of you heathens have late career change success or regret stories that might help?

Garban 8 Aug 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@Garban Any luck on the career change?? If not, had another idea... Maybe you could go into the fashion industry, under the brand name "Garbani" perhaps? If a name like Armani could become popular, I think Garbani would be a smashing success! Some good money to be made in a career like that, just ask that Hilfiger feller.

Garbani, the brand for the hep folks out there...

I was thinking about a career change because, at work, I was facing a pay cut. I'm the only one working in the family, and I was worried about it, but I needed a change. I was looking at a $5 to $7 an-hour difference and understanding how it would affect my family. That's when I terminated my employment contract and started working in the oil and gas industry because is basic industries a good career path. I am not worried about being laid off because oil and gas are one of the biggest industries in the world. I already feel more successful, and I am sure that I will soon be promoted.

I was thinking about a career change because, at work, I was facing a pay cut. I'm the only one working in the family, and I was worried about it, but I needed a change. I was looking at a $5 to $7 an-hour difference and understanding how it would affect my family. That's when I terminated my employment contract and started working in the oil and gas industry because is basic industries a good career path. I am not worried about being laid off because oil and gas are one of the biggest industries in the world. I already feel more successful, and I am sure that I will soon be promoted.

My brother was a successful nightclub entertainer for over 30 years, then became an attorney and was even more successful at that, plus waaaay richer.......and helped a lot of people!

Make the change! Life is too short to waste it on safety and boredom! I retired at 55, but that just means I can take more risks as most of my nest egg has been established. So, I left the corporate rat race and now work at a gym. The small income stream reduces my retirement draws and limited, flexible hours suit my more relaxed life style.

Zster Level 8 Aug 18, 2022

54 isn't old, I'm 53! Do what you feel is right for yourself, you know you!

Never too old. Maybe start something as a hobby or side hustle first and see where it goes. Good luck. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Aug 18, 2022

IMO, it's totally Up to your prev. experience and your next potential career! I don't consider 54 as an Old person! on the other hand, frankly, your sense of humor, tells me; at least, you're mentally younger than me!

Diaco Level 7 Aug 18, 2022

@Garban about the EV batteries, it's not a big deal, if you get what's going on in this video, then your knowledge fits perfectly, today EV batteries concept is kinda the same :

@Garban 100% True, just wanted to give you an Idea about the Assembly, Packing, management-systems...etc.

Not old at all, and the possibilities are endless. You could maybe pursue a career in being a firearms instructor. How's about a mall security guard? Or maybe a career in firearms manufacturing or marketing? I heard ICE is looking to hire more agents, and a career with ICE would hardly be boring. A forensics ballistics expert sounds pretty cool. Lastly, you could always be a mercenary over in Ukraine fighting for a good cause, which I'd have been tempted to do myself had I not developed Type 1 Diabetes.

Like I said, the possibilities are endless. Hope the suggestions above "inspire" you to make that adventurous career change. As the saying goes, you're only as old as you feel. Whatever your choice may be, I wish you luck on your endeavors Mister Garbanzo.

@Garban Sure thing, always glad to help out when I can. My bad, thought Garban was short for Garbanzo, I stand corrected, lol.

@Garban While perusing my profile page, you didn't by chance try to message me did you? I ask that as the messenger hasn't been working for me recently, and while sometimes I can still receive messages I cannot send any though. Have received some strange notifications, doesn't say who it was from. Thought about bringing that issue up in the Senate group, but at this point rather doubt anything would be done about it.

@Garban I did not receive it. Great, now I'm not even getting the messages...

@Garban I figured, and sure nothing will probably be done about it anytime soon. Thank you for trying though. Also appears that the chatrooms in certain groups are broken too.

Getting older may one day force a career change on to you. Therefore why not make it now and your own choice. I started a major new hobby at sixty four, and am now looking for my next new career adventure at sixty six.

@Garban I was not really thinking of people forcing you out, but of the inevitable point when health forces a change of direction. Therefore change now while you still have that. Health can let anyone down at almost any time, but just more likely as we get older. My own experience tells me that, I lost my wife to a brain bleed thanks to an undiscovered tumor, when we had only been married three and a half months and we were still planning our futures.

@Garban Its twenty years ago now, but thank you.

At the ripe young age of 57 I bought the farm. Sold my metropolitan Denver home and bought 35 acres of land with an abandoned old farmhouse in upstate New York. My wife wanted goats and I wanted to grow organic veggies and fruit and nut trees. Bought an old Chevy pickup and an older Ford tractor and started growing the farm. It was wonderful for our last twenty years. It's all just good memories now.

@Garban. My only caveat is that you'll need to be careful of local tax increases. That's what did us in.

I think I've seen this story.🙂

The father of a friend's wife in Seattle retired from his English professor job, sold everything he owned and bought a subsistence farm in Tuscany.

The last I saw of them he would come back once a year to visit the family and he claimed there were no good dentists in Italy.🙂
They said you could always recognize him at the airport because he'd be dressed in rough clothes and carrying bags of produce. They named him Yugo the peasant.🙂

They were all an unusual group. My friend's daughter was taking French lessons as a four year old. He and his wife wanted her to be able to work for Club Med if she wanted to went she got old enough.🙂

@Gwendolyn2018 . Zero financial base... I was 39 and homeless when I moved to Denver. Got a job, saved some money and bought the house as a fixup in Denver for $30k with a $2k down payment. After 12 years it had increased in value enough to take out a mortgage of $65k to use as a full payment for the abandoned farm. Then I sold the Denver home for $165k and had money for the farm renovation.

@Garban . Desperation! I hated the commute in rush hour traffic with the inner-city lifestyle while watching the climate change coming more rapidly out west as droughts and fires encroached.

Boredom is deadly.
Move carefully.
But move.

skado Level 9 Aug 18, 2022
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:682135
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.