Agnostic.com

9 3

Scientology

Did L Ron Hubbard really expect his crackpot ideas to catch on the way they did?

Coffeo 8 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

His success leads me to believe that any creative charlatan can make up a religion. Perhaps I can create Astrophysictology and have a bunch of gullible fools eating out of my hand. Although it wasn't Hubbard who actually got scientology recognized as a religion. It was his tenacious successor who pressured a bunch of corrupt IRS agents into getting official religious status so they wouldn't have to pay taxes. What a racket they are running.

Did you know that Hubbard originally called this "science out of my arse crack" and changed it at the last minute? Fact.

Hubbard designed his ideology, indoctrination system, and organizational culture to rope people in and keep them under control. Its "success" is no accident.

Any religion such as this,that can turn parents against children and or children against parents ( as depicted in the tv show) is proof of the destructive brainwashing that occurs with being associated with diabolical cults such as this

I read the book Bald Face Messiah by Russell Miller which was a biography. He was quite an interesting character. He was a crackpot who eventually went batshit crazy. I don't know if anyone could say what he expected.

If you all haven't seen Leah Remini's excellent exposé series on Scientology, check it out. You can view the two seaons of episodes on the A&E site.
[aetv.com]

I just finished season 2....show makes me cry like a little baby....haha...not known for my tears, but those shows are tear jerkers!

I know what you mean, Johnny.. sometimes I'm not sure what to think. I'm talking to the TV, like "You dumb shit! You got yourself into that.." but then I realize that it's such an insidious, slow indoctrination, often with people just wanting to improve their lives.. What a hideous monster of a cult...! 😮

I know what you mean! The problem I see is that it does help in communication in the beginning....I mean, those people are good at engaging. And none of them come across as dumb, even if their education is exceptionally limited....kinda showing the difference between ignorance and stupidity....I get the fear to lose community, if it is the only one you know.

His books are unreadable. Oh man. So bad. I tried to read Battlefield Earth way way way back, and I threw it across the room, it was so bad. Loved the movie, though. The movie is one of the best accidental comedies. Especially, if you have looked into scientology like I have. And dianetics was impossible to get through with it's horrible use of nonsensical jargon. Hubbard had a mental illness of some sort. Mania with narcissism would be my guess.

I think he was a brilliant science fiction writer, that was hoping for a book deal and movie, but after seeing the bible rake it in for centuries decided religion was a better financial endeavor.

Yeah, religion is a powerful business sometimes.

Aleister Crowley is the reason Hubbard got the idea for Scientology Croweley was a double agent during WWII except he could not decide which side to be the double agent for.

Interesting...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6825
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.