Agnostic.com

8 7

LINK Central Bucks passes book policy some view as a book ban - WHYY

This is not Texas or the deep south. This is suburban Philly. The news media covers book bans in Texas and Florida but PA leads the nation in book banning. 3 weeks ago this quietly passed. 3 weeks from now, when schools open, these books, as well as dozens of others, won't be on the shelves of Central Buck District libraries. They should all be required reading and were when most of us grew up.

A Wrinkle in Time

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

The Handmaid's Tale

The Catcher in the Rye

Of Mice and Men

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Forever

The Kite Runner

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Giver

The Outsiders

Thirteen Reasons Why Harry Potter series

George

The Hate U Give

The Grapes of Wrath

The Color Purple

The Lord of the Flies

Song of Solomon The Call of the Wild

The Lord of the Rings

Bridge to Terabithia

Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

barjoe 9 Aug 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Pennsylvania is sort 9f notorious for being full people with extreme notions. That's why it's the setting for the hilarious Chevy Chase/Dan Ackroyd/John Candy/Demi Moore 1991 film "Nothing but Trouble."

I was appalled on my recent visit to Pa. Most of the state has become a shithole. I don't believe it was like that when I was growing up.

It's actually a beautiful state. If you exclude Philly and Pittsburgh it's MAGAland.

@barjoe Yep...my old stomping grounds are nazified now.

@Secretguy Your new stomping ground is as well.

Conservatives are fucking hypocrites.

It's a laundry list of white fragility. Pathetic.

When the No.45 appointed Betsy DeVos as nationwide schoolmarm she began cutting back on educational salaries and lowering the controls on better education. Now we are expected to accept low quality because the good teachers have quit.

There are a few new ones on this list but it reads like a education hating conservative's hit list.

I taught a number of those in York County, PA, far from liberal area - I can only imagine how it has changed in 10ish years since I left teaching. The whole country heard about Dover school district in the 90's for intelligent design. That cost the district about 1.5 million- it would have been 3 million, but those parents suing just took lawyer fees and forcing the Public school from teaching it. I can only guess how current SCROTUS would react to that.

And then they call progressives the cancel culture?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:682606
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.