Agnostic.com

11 8

LINK The Sex Pistols - God Save The Queen - on the river Thames - YouTube

I'll always remember her sitting on a golden throne covered in priceless gems and exotic fur accents preaching austerity to the masses.

WilliamCharles 8 Sep 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They called Elizabeth a fascist, but try singing a song like that about Putin in Russia.

Still, the extent they went through to suppress it does not speak well for the so-called ruling class.

@WilliamCharles Question: was it the monarchy or parliament who banned the song at the BBC in 1977? Or was it some programming executive at the BBC? Either way, the banning probably did more for Sex Pistols record sales than their actual music. But I agree, banning music, movies, or books is generally a bad idea. One more thing: it was truly heartwarming to hear how the former Johnny Rotten honored the Queen at her passing. I believe he was even heard joining in a chorus of God Save The King. 😂

@Flyingsaucesir - sad that Lydon has become a right wing git.

@Flyingsaucesir - much like today, part of what gatekeeping entails is the plausible deniability of who exactly is responsible for it. There are many instances of the media being instructed what stories not to run or to downplay.

@WilliamCharles I'm sure there is some truth in that. But it's also true that two young reporters (Woodward & Burnstein) at the Washington Post broke the story (Watergate) that brought down a President (Nixon); that many newspapers published the Pentagon Papers purloined by Daniel Ellsberg, which helped bring an end to the disastrous Viet Nam war; that CNN and MSNBC and PBS and many others have been calling out Trump's lies and crimes for years, and the J6 Select Committee has provided sweeping evidence of treason and other crimes perpetrated by the ex-president. I think misinformation and disinformation are MUCH greater threats than censorship is.

@Flyingsaucesir - I was specifically referring to the UK press and the royals in that instance. But the fact that Julian Assange is in prison for exposing US/UK war crimes shows that the concern for a free press is largely lip service by many.

@WilliamCharles Assange is special case. He indiscriminately released a lot of information that could get people killed. People working on behalf of the USA and the American people. What he did was criminal and reckless. Fuck Julian Assange.

Didn't I read that there was some talk of disbanding the monarchy at the end if Elizabeth's reign? Seems like it would have been a good time to cast off this anachronism once and for all. If it is good for tourism as some have argued, let the royals earn their keep by running concession stands at castle tours selling t-shirts and such. It comes across as grown adults LARPing on a massive budget provided by the taxpayers. To my ears, talk of dukes and earls and princesses might as well be references to fairies, goblins, and elves... and equally fictional constructs.

"It's a petty thing, but I wouldn't join the Scouts when I was a kid, 'cause you had to swear allegiance to the queen. I'm just not a royalist. I think it's idiotic, a hereditary principle."

-- Elvis Costello

Not surprised at all to read that. Elvis has always had issues with authority and the ruling class, same as me, and we're both proud of it. He has done charity concerts that were sponsored by the royals, but he always made it clear he was doing it for the beneficiaries of the charity, not the royals. He is one of several artists I always admired that never sucked up to the royals or agreed to be knighted, David Bowie being another one, who also did tons of charity concerts sponsored by the royals.

I'm not a monarchist, but the Queen had more sense than to preach, so the OP is a bit off base.

For or against manarcy, Brits understand the concept of a constitutional monarch. Americans don't, hence the trivialisation of royalty.

I think the term "preach" was entirely accurate (I'm the OP).

@WilliamCharles Link or reference needed, please. Otherwise it's just blowing smoke isn't it?

@Gareth - seriously?

@WilliamCharles Thanks for the link. A timestamp would have been helpful. It seems that you don't understand the constitutional role of the monarchy, which is fine, although you are posting on it. The governing party drafts its program of policies each year and The Queen's (or King's) role is to read it out at the start of the parliamentary year, like a town crier or a newsreader. She has literally zero input and you are firing at the messenger.

@Gareth - a timeless deconstruction of the monarchy.

@Gareth Don't waste your time. 😉

"As is tradition... "

Queen controls 1\6th of the world's mass. I wonder if she will donate it to all the homelessness.

Nearly all of the world's mass is rock, magma or molten metal, and hardly any of it is either available or of any use to the homeless or anyone else. If you mean "land area", the crown owns less than 0.5% even of the UK. Admittedly, even that is far too much but even a good argument is spoilt by factual errors.

Thanks for posting. She had a long rein.

And that was just for the horses.

That song came out during one of the queen's jubilees. Ot was number 2 on the British charts at the time. Later, it was discovered that Richard Branson, now knighted, withheld reporting 240k sales of the record to keep it from being number one.

I always loved the Sex Pistols. They did a great version of "My Way" as well. Unfortunately, Johnnie Rotten, or Lydon, is now an ultra-conservative conspiracy theorist and Trump lover. Blah...

@Organist1 That is sad and disappointing, but then again, Johnny Rotten was always in it for the money and had no principles or scruples, so I'm not surprised that he went conservative once that became more in fashion and profitable these days. I'm going to have to sing this tune tonite at karaoke, not that I care about offending people there...

One rich prick looking out for his peers...

@TomMcGiverin That pretty much stinks. I can understand not wanting to be in that lifestyle for a long time, but the way he turned out is pretty sickening.

I always liked what Elvis Costello said about the royals, something like, " Why do we still have them? All they do is attend ceremonies and spend their whole life on holiday".... The hypocrisy of the rich royals preaching austerity is jaw-dropping...

All royalty everywhere should be dropped and their lands and money confiscated.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:685674
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.