Agnostic.com

12 19

LINK Iowa human trafficking victim Pieper Lewis sentenced, ordered to pay $150,000 : NPR

(Evidently being held prisoner and being raped is not justification for hilling your captor/rapist in order to escape sexual slavery, in Iowa. I think her actions were totally justified as self defense.)

A teenage human trafficking victim who was initially charged with first-degree murder after she stabbed her accused rapist to death was sentenced Tuesday in an Iowa court to five years of closely supervised probation and ordered to pay $150,000 restitution to the man's family.

Pieper Lewis, 17, was sentenced Tuesday after she pleaded last year to involuntary manslaughter and willful injury in the June 2020 killing of 37-year-old Zachary Brooks of Des Moines. Both charges were punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Polk County District judge David M. Porter on Tuesday deferred those prison sentences, meaning that if Lewis violates any portion of her probation, she could be sent to prison to serve that 20-year term.

As for being required to pay the estate of her rapist, "this court is presented with no other option," Porter said, noting the restitution is mandatory under Iowa law that has been upheld by the Iowa Supreme Court. ...

snytiger6 9 Sep 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Screw 'em!

In the interest of fairness and accuracy, I wanted to share that I saw the story of this case on the front page of the statewide newspaper, The Des Moines Register today. I figured this site's members would be interested in knowing that racism apparently was not an issue in her sentencing. The judge was a black male, same race as her. Sounds like she maybe could have had better legal representation and not settled for the plea bargain that took away her affirmative defense for the stabbing and murder. But that could easily have ended up with a conviction, where a long prison sentence would have been certain.

I do hope this troubled young woman does take this opportunity of the fundraising paying her restitution to finally get her head straight and make something positive out of her life. She has clearly suffered greatly and also made some bad choices, along with developing some behavior issues. I think the restitution was excessive, but it's now a moot point. The future is all up to her. I hope she completes her probation and gets into some programs for her issues and learns some job and life skills as well during her probation.

Did she have a court appointed lawyer? If so, then the plea deal makes sense. It becomes all about money.

@Betty No idea. The newspaper article didn't go into that. My guess is she was too poor to afford anyone but a court appointed lawyer. Also the county this happened in has a public defender office.

@TomMcGiverin Public defenders are usually overworked and under paid. It is usual for them to recommend a plea deal as that is a faster resolution than preparing a case for trial.

There is something very, very wrong with the justice system in Iowa. The sentence is an abomination and it being upheld by the Supreme Court is shameful. 🤬🤬🤬

Betty Level 8 Sep 14, 2022

A gofundme page has raised nearly $250,000 at this point. So at least she can pay the effin fine!🙃

Now that is one fundraising thing I could get behind...

Up to $320,000 now!!🤗

@TomMcGiverin $525,000 presently….😯

I'm feeling a strong urge to vomit on someone in Iowa.

Just don't do it on me, I live there and I'm on her side...

Punishing a woman for getting raped is so Islam.

They’re punishing her for stabbing him over 30 times while he slept. I figure he needed stabbed!?🤠

@Buck Well, like I always say, anything worth doing is worth doing well, or in this case, stabbing him thoroughly, lol....

@TomMcGiverin A lawyer friend once told me: If you have to kill somebody, kill 'em real good. Make sure they can't show up on the witness stand.

@mischl That was where I was going with it, along with a little humor about how if you're going to do something, make sure you do it right and very thoroughly. And the thing about leaving no witnesses behind and alive, kind of goes without saying......

The US is going backwards.

...rapidly.

Sounds like the human trafficker got what he deserved, and the court's decision is a miscarriage of justice.

So. Much. Bullshit.

The lawyers should have argued that she had already paid.

MizJ Level 8 Sep 14, 2022

I believe Iowa has a Stand Your Ground law. Apparently it doesn't apply to black folks.

@rainmanjr The man that she stabbed was sleeping. Race and poverty may have played a part, not a surprise. A blonde haired girl would have likely walked. She may have a civil case against the one that was stabbed and others. There is plenty of case law in re to women that have been abused and/or raped that would help that civil case.

@MizJ Gee, thanks for educating me. All this time I thought that rape was a criminal act. My bad!

@dumasarok Rape is a crime. When did I say otherwise?

Should have given her a medal and sent her home..

We really have become the Amerikkkan Taliban - paying restitution for killing someone is so Mideastern.

I dont' believe she should have even been charged to begin with. It was self defense to kill her captor and rapist to get away.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:686630
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.