Agnostic.com

21 6

What do you think of tarot card readings?

I’ve always thought of them as stupid and pointless to a degree. I’ve had people try to do tarot card readings and their predictions were way off lol on so many levels.

EmeraldJewel 7 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Eh, I think it's fun and sometimes can be a good introspection exercise, but that's about it. I collect Tarot decks, too, because I love the art on them.

Lame.

Lol I thought the same thing. Some tarot card reader once told me I was supposed to win a large sum of money.

@EmeraldJewel Lol.

@EmeraldJewel If someone did somehow win money, people who are silly enough to believe this nonesense would probably go back and give even more money to these charaltans. I know of several people who have these kinds of readings and are told that they will come in to money. I think these kind of things can be fun if not taken seriously, but when people start spending significant amounts of their money because of a genuine belief, then it becomes a case of taking unfair advantage of vulnerable people. Thats the way I see it anyway

All lies, just for the money at people's gullibility!

They just do cold readings on the people who come to them, tell them what they want to hear. Another fraudulent way to make money.

I was interested in Tarot reading as a means of divination when young but later I read a bit about the Thoth philosophy which posits that a good reading of the cards can result in greater self understanding. Actually just talking with someone about a Tarot reading probably can shed some light on individual personality and motivations similar to talk therapy.

In university, I used to make a bit of extra cash doing readings for fun. Then I realized how seriously some people believed in them so I quit.

Exactly the same as religious beliefs.

They are a complete waist of time. I don’t even see any entertainment value in it.

I have my own tarot cards - stopped doing readings years ago. Did it for fun.

Meh. Not my thing.

It's no different than any other "psychic" reading. It's just cold reading and vague generalizations that would be true for 90% of people.

The same as a magic 8 ball, fun but not real.

ebdb Level 7 Apr 28, 2018

Lol...no .... i don't believe in the supernatural or spirits or ghosts or graves or dead people or the afterlife. I do believe in free enterprise and making money. Cons are all over. Preachers are the biggest ones.

Just another card game.

Duke Level 8 Apr 28, 2018

The Australian Skeptics have $100 000 for anybody that can prove that they can tell the future with taro cards.

Flip a coin. The moment the coin is in the air, you will have your answer, you will know what you want. Tarot readings, palm readings, tea leaves and all the other bunk can be useful because it is exposure to someone who is attempting to intuit you. It can provide an opportunity to look at things from a different perspective. As an software engineer/software mechanic, I believe fresh eyes are often useful in debugging, even if they are uneducated and barely "intelligent" in the field.

It's a fun "parlor game"
Nothing more than that.

I think it is the same as astrology. Quite useless.

Not a lot

The cards can be awesome to look at,
beyond that,
nothing.
Same as I ching or alchemy stones.

Just a novelty to pass time, like astrology, ouija boards and my favorite...the magic 8 ball.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:68755
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.