Agnostic.com

13 11

Nostalgia for a world that never existed can never be satisfied.

"A Hard Reboot of the Sitcoms That Raised Us," by Judy Berman caught my eye in Time Magazine this week. "Raised who?" was my amused reaction. I don't recognize any of the actors in the photo. Why?

I never bought a TV. I consider television a massive waste of time. Sappy sitcoms are stupid. After a hard day, people want to watch something where no no matter what happens, at the end of 30 minutes everything is going to turn out fine. Unrealistic.

Instead I volunteer, read widely, hike, exercise and cook from scratch. Life is fun!

To my amusement, in 2014 my then-boyfriend called me "culturally deficient" because I never watch TV. I laughed. John took me to Cosco and bought me a Sony digital television. He hooked it up, thank goodness. Now I watch Netflix. Often I read or do a jigsaw puzzle in the evening.

Growing up, the TV was in the downstairs library. The living room was for reading, conversations, storytelling, laughter, crackling fires in the fireplace, jigsaw puzzles, playing Scrabble, Monopoly and other family games.

In 1990 when Claire was born, research showed screen time hurts children's ability to learn and increases attention-deficit disorders. Terry and I severely limited Claire's TV. Starting at age four, Claire could watch only three half-hour kid's shows a week with parent veto. She loved Sesame Street. Claire was not allowed to play video games. She became a great student, varsity tennis player, reader and lifelong athlete.

The problem with sitcoms is that they exist in a time warp. American society at the end of the last century was no utopia. Nostalgia for a world that never existed can never be satisfied. What if sappy sitcoms set up people for a lifetime of disappointments?

"When I was a kid, my parents worked all the time, and I was usually home alone, studying and watching TV shows about families that always seemed happier than mine, " Claire's friend said. Sad.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm culturally deficient and proud to be so

Fully agree. I like NFL football and use the TV for that, and occasionally other sports like the Olympics or World Cup. I have never watched Seinfeld, Friends, reality anything......

I don't turn the TV on until 9pm. MSNBC 'til 11pm.

I have always been pretty selective. The Twilight Zone was a favorite, along with the occasional dose of Star Trek for fiction. Frontline, American Masters, Masterpiece and Nova gave me a good dose of nonfiction. I think the key is to avoid drivel.

TV has it's pro and cons. My favorite Master Piece Theater while growing up was "I, Claudius" and that got this dyslexic kid to read the book. I have read it many times as a matter of fact. The sitcom I remember best is "All in the Family" which I think was a very important mover of social culture and even politics. I think it made people think more critically. Another sitcom that was developed by Norman Lear was "One Day at a Time" which was about a single mother of two teenage girls. When that was on the air I was a teenage daughter of a single dad, so I could relate to some extent. I saw a recent "reboot" of it in which the main characters were Cuban American. I thought that having it told from a non-white point of view was pretty cool. I am not well traveled and I have lived my life in lily white New England so for me things like that are educational. My family played monopoly, scrabble, chess. We helped each other with our homework, shared music and books, but we also had some great family time enjoying MASH and The Carol Burnett Show. I shared some of my favorite shows with my daughter and she has enjoyed them as well. I also indulged in some of her favorite shows and I enjoyed watching them with her.

On the downsides are commercials, "reality" shows (except Deadliest Catch which I think is good) and cable news. I believe that Trumps reality show combined with 24/7 coverage on all the cable news networks is what brought him to power and Donald Trump is the worst thing that ever happened in my life.

I loved MASH later on but preferred Black Sheep Squadron at the time. I was a kid in love with Corsairs. Alda was a versatile actor. I wound up giving up on Blacklist, but the arc with evil bastard Alda on that show was priceless. He was intense til the splattering end! New respect for him. Damn!

Carol Burnett was awesome too. So many very talented stars in her skits.

This will probably call me out as TV nerd but Carol Burnett played a bit role in the reboot of Hawaii Five 0. As a show it had promise but I lost interest after two of my favorite actors left— Grace Park from the Battlestar Galactica reboot and Daniel Dae Kim from Lost. Letting them go was unforgivable for me.

Growing up, i Loved the TV, and wasn't into reading much, now, its the complete opposite. I'm outside more, and if the TV is on, it's background noise as i do creative work on the computer, clean, or do stuff in the kitchen. I have a "Winter watch list", way rather be outside when it's nice out.

I see the now infamous Will Smith up top of the collage as his Fresh Prince character. I thought he was bubble gum as a rapper but I didn’t hate the show. I see his costar Alfonso Ribeiro well below him. Not sure if that’s from Fresh Prince or Silver Spoons with future right wing loon Ricky Schroder (“don’t die Champ” ). Your collage is hard to make out due to resolution quality. I see John Stamos I think? Full House was 80s crap but he actually did OK on his ER stint as a TV doctor. ER was one of my all time faves. He started in General Hospital the soap opera. Yeah people watch that stuff. And wrestling too. Diff'rent strokes…which was itself a low brow yet socially biting show for its time. Sitcoms!

I can’t knock escapism or look down on it as many of the shows I watched then or now are likely beneath contempt for others. They redid Fresh Prince and it’s supposed to be grittier and more serious. It’s not on a platform I subscribe to, which is an issue in itself for cable cutters. I do watch hiphop TV show genre Atlanta with Donald Glover which is witty, funny, biting, and cutting edge. Another show called Rap Sh!t is ok, but struggling IMO to find its way. It’s about two Miami area women struggling to make a mark in hiphop. That’s compelling itself, no?

I do have Wondrium, which boasts plenty of high brow educational content, but sometimes I just gotta shut my brain down or just laugh. After the pandemic I can’t get into stressful horror or suspense as much. Escape into Archer? Yes!

Maybe the point is 80s sitcoms sucked? Yeah, so did the 80s.

My tastes have change since the pandemic too. I watched a lot of "Fin Noir" in the beginning but it got too gruesome for me to watch and now I can't take any violence at all and the mystery/cops show stuff I love has a lot of graphic violence. If you want some really good laughs look for "The Outlaws" with Christopher Walken and "Only Murders in the Building" with Steve Martin and Martin Short. Both are a riot.

@Scott321

I cannot watch violent or scary movies. This started at age 5 when...

My grandparents lived next to a kind psychiatrist and his wife. One afternoon, wife his ran screaming into my grandparent's backyard. She was covered in blood. She sobbed out her story before my horrified 5-year-old eyes.

She went to her husband's office to take him out to lunch. Discovered he had been murdered by an insane patient with a knife. The secretary was out to lunch. She found her husband dead and covered in blood.

My taste changed during the pandemic, too. Now I prefer comedies instead of drama.

I don't recognize anyone in that photo, must be way after my time. When my kids were growing up I only watched a couple of sitcoms regularly, Steinfeld and Married With Children. There were many that I loved as kid. I don't recall my kids watching much TV growing up, but they played video games non-stop. Which certainly didn't have any adverse effects. One son is an economics professor at the University Sydney in Australia, my other son manages and engineering research group for Texas Instruments.

My son is becoming a fireman because of video games

I never watched much tv while growing up and nothing has changed. I rather read a book.

I freely admit that I love television.
I have been able to see things I probably wouldn't have otherwise.
The Moon landing, the release from prison of Nelson Mandela, the Tiananmen Square massacre, the Watergate hearings, and a whole host of other historic events.
I've also been supremely entertained.
From seeing Elvis and The Beatles, and others on the Ed Sullivan Show, to nearly every episode of Saturday Night Live.
Not everything that has been on television has been worthy of my attention. I didn't care for most of the "popular" shows. Hated "Seinfeld", among other shows that lots of other people liked.
PBS has always been a favorite.
Mister Rogers, all the Ken Burns documentaries, Masterpiece Theater, Nicol Williamson's Hamlet, I, Claudius,
Monty Python's Flying Circus,
and the annual ballroom dancing competitions (WAY before Dancing With The Stars).
I learned to cook (better) watching Julia Child, Jacques Pepin, Hubert Keller, America's Test Kitchen, Ina Garten, and Lydia Bastianich.
Television is not a wasteland, IF you don't waste your time on the garbage.

*Edited to include Monty Python.

Ah, I cited I, Claudius too. That show and book had a huge influence on me. I was also thinking about the 1975 World series. One of my teachers pointed out that it was amazing that we could watch a game halfway across the country in real time. The six game, btw, was really amazing.

I limited my kids TV time, they often say they grew up Amish. They were also good students. Igrew up watching TV, what helped me to break the habit was being in the military especially overseas where we didn't get regular programming, and I worked shiftwork. I currently don't have cable TV, I turned it off when I needed to tighten my spending, AND I saw Ted Cruz's face in my living room. That was during the presidential election that gave us Drumpf as a president. I might watch Netflix or Amazon Prime. Usually I will turn on something for the grands when they're here. I will watch TV when I'm working on a project like knitting or crochet, my hands are busy but I can follow the story line. I can't think of the last time I watched something on TV. I think it was when I was making a crocheted blanket for my grandson last fall/winter, I watched several old TV series that I borrowed the DVDs from the library. Like you I read, and cook from scratch. I also sew which takes me away from the TV. I don't miss TV at all.

I watched Saturday cartoons as a kid. I also read books and played with my toys.

"I was born in a house with the television always on"

As an adult I've rejected what I consider useless TV.
I learned more from PBS and Documentaries & reading than I ever learned in school .....I also absorbed the Encyclopedia Britannica that my parents seemingly bought only for me (to my non studious family.....I was the stupid one ). I don't think any of my siblings knew they were there in the bookcase. in the hallway. They walked by it everyday !

Going back to my parents home and visiting, or holidays even, it was always a losing battle to have a conversation over the roar of the TV that was ALWAYS on.....and I don't mean tuned to PBS !

twill Level 7 Sep 22, 2022

@twill

Like you, I read Encyclopedia Britannica back-to-back. Enjoy books by famous authors across the world: black, gay, women, Native American, English, Irish, South America, China, Japan, Russia, and more.

Reading teaches us about different people, cultures and countries. It develops compassion, empathy and understanding of other people .

To me, the sound of a TV is jarring and distracting.

You have my sympathy.

The TV was on all the time at my cousin's house. We stayed with them for a summer one year and it was our habit to shut it off if no one was watching it, but we soon learned that you did not do that in that house. We watched TV in our house, but not if there was a conversation or other activity to be had.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:687875
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.