Agnostic.com

9 15

Cooked carrots have more vitamins absorbed by our bodies than raw.

Today I roasted two large carrots at 425-degrees for 25 minutes. Before cooking, I chopped the carrots into even-sized pieces and sprayed lightly with oil. Turned once while roasting.

A study by Yale University showed cooked carrots have far more nutrients absorbed by the body than raw carrots. Raw carrots are just fiber.

Read that in Health Magazine years ago.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I really like to add a couple of drops of ginger with turmeric at the end of baking carrots. Very invigorating taste! and for the gastrointestinal tract, only one benefit. I usually buy a few bottles of extract in the official shop [shopwellabs.com] but also I saw their products on amazon

I never knew that. Thank you!

I have heard, from a relatively reputable source that our digestive systems have already adapted to cooking, and that we digest more quickly to shove nutrients at our large, demanding brains. Anyone else hear that?

I think it's more complex than that. The way you cook is important as some methods like boiling will wash out nutrients, microwaving less so, and although cooking can increase absorbtion rates of some nutrients it will decrease others. It's probably a matter of what you aim to get out of it and if it tastes better you'll eat more of it. Who doesn't like roast carrot?

I cooked carrots just last night to eat with pork tenderloin. Simmer them to tender with about half orange juice to water. And a bit of cinnamon, ground allspice, and ground clove. Grated nutmeg would have been good as well, but I didn't think about it until now.

Hmm... good to know, I would never have guessed. I like raw carrots, rather than cooked, but maybe if I try to prepare them roasted l might like them better.

I love cooked carrots much better than eating them raw. They do have their place shredded in cole slaw and other salads but mostly I eat them cooked. Yum!

Good...I can't stand raw carrots. 😁

There are a few soups that I make during the winter that have roasted vegetables in them. Carrots is one of the vegetables i use frequently. Raw carrots have their place, fiber is necessary as well.

During the fall/winter I make a large batch of soup (usually meat free) every weekend, and then portion it into 2 cup containers and freeze. During the week I choose one for lunch each day.I have quite a few recipes I use, and I'm always searching for new ones. My kids were here for dinner 10 days ago, I served Apple Cider Beef Stew. There was quite a bit left over, (I can cook for one or for 20, there is no in between) so I portioned out the leftovers for future lunches as well. I am not cooking this weekend because my freezer is full.

Carrot soup is yummy. I make mine really thick, it’s almost hanging off the spoon.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:693072
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.