Agnostic.com

7 14

LINK Yes, you can sell your life insurance policy to a stranger, says Georgia Supreme Court – 95.5 WSB

Georgia. Now that Georgia is officially on the map, due to electing a Black man and a Jew on the same day, in special elections (gasp) ~ we're learning all sorts of crazy shit that goes on in Georgia.

In all my years spent in the defunct "justice" system in America, this actually is something I've never heard of, read about or drempt-up in my own imagination.

And yet, for decades, one attorney has been doing this with the full support of his State. And he had this to say:

It’s helped a lot of people over these decades that I’ve been doing it, and I’ve been proud to be able to help people,” he says. “It’s been a fun business to be in.

😳 OK. So insurance fraud is not only legal in Georgia, it's a damn good time. It makes sense. And more people should do it!!!!! So he says:

Freeman, who has handled these types of settlements for decades from his office in Buckhead, calls it “a real shame” that more people don’t know about them. He did one of the very first settlements of its type in 1989

The Georgia Supreme Court overturned a lower court's ruling that this equates to "wagering" which is illegal in Georgia.

Takeaway? You best not even think about gambling in Georgia unless it's church bingo and ain't for real money, but you can buy yourself a life insurance policy, sell it to a total stranger, and they can wager how many payments they're gonna make until your sorry ass is dead and they cash in.

Makes perfect sense. 👍👍👍👍

SeaGreenEyez 9 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That is a big no-no in the UK. You need to have some form of mutual interest to take out the policy like marriage or business partners etc. Also, you can only insure kids' lives up to the premiums paid in. Accrued interest can only be paid when the child hits maturity. This is because some evil woman in victorian times adopted kids, took out huge insurance policies and... Yeah, with arsinic she scraped off of fly paper.

It's not anything new. Back in the 1980's and 1990's AIDS patients would sell the beneficiary status of their policies to get cash for needed medical care or to pre-pay funeral costs.

This is a very good thing. Here's what happens to many people:

1. They purchase a life insurance policy and pay premiums for years.
  2. They become terminally ill, can no longer work, get slammed with medical bills, and can no longer pay their insurance premiums.
  3. They life insurance policy then lapses, and they get nothing back from all the years of premiums they have paid in the past.

Allowing a third-party to purchase the life insurance policy and continue to make premiums allows the terminally ill person to live out the rest of their life in comfort.

BD66 Level 8 Nov 3, 2022

@SeaGreenEyez It has become a reasonably competitive efficient market. There are a number of companies that buy up the policies for resale, then there are companies that hold the policies in a portfolio. Here is one of the largest:

[vidacapitalinc.com]

Before people and companies entered in to this space, many policies were cancelled due the inability of the terminally ill people to make their premium payments.

The people who buy these policies from the terminally ill are transferring the insurance company profits to the people who purchased the insurance policies. It has been so good for consumers, and so bad for insurance companies, that in many states, insurance companies have had to go back to the state insurance regulators to increase their premiums, because they have lost a source of easy profits.

@SeaGreenEyez @BD66 You might wish to delve deeper than a simple Google search. 🙄

>>> I have devled much deeper. I know Jeff Serra, the CEO of Vida Capital, quite well, and I was considering dropping one or two million into his hedge fund back in early 2018.

[vidacapitalinc.com]

STOLI stranger owned life insurance
[investopedia.com]

What Is Stranger-Owned Life Insurance?
Stranger-owned life insurance (STOLI) is an arrangement in which an investor holds a life insurance policy without insurable interest on the insured. Without insurable interest, the investor would ordinarily be prohibited from purchasing the original policy. Because of this, STOLI policies are generally illegal and difficult to obtain.

If you want to sell your insurance to a Wall Street broker who simply garners commission upon your death, that's entirely up to you. That's what your advocating here. That's an entirely different discussion than what I posted in the OP above. Same thing, however. It's unethical, amoral and in most cases, illegal.

>>>> I have already defined the benefits of Stranger Owned Life Insurance to life insurance consumers. The people who lose are insurance companies. They have lobbied legislatures and courts to make Stranger Owned Life Insurance illegal because they want to keep making the easy profits.

It's also deemed predatory. Because why?????? It doesn't matter how much you get for your insurance policy because the government is going to take it away from you. It takes a money to retire in America. Unless you're independently wealthy, you're going to use Medicare. It's the only health system we've got. And they're going to limit your assets, income. They're going to make you use that money without governmental assistance until it's gone and it's going to be gone quickly.

>>> It is deemed predatory because the insurance companies want to keep making their easy profits. The insurance company is the predator. They want to collect premium payments for the life of the policy holder, then see the premium payments lapse so they don't have to make a death payment. People like Jeff Serra were making sure the policy holders got a large percentage of their death benefit rather than nothing. The insurance companies have since been lobbying hard to make the practice "illegal"

In addition, there are cases all across America in the Appellate phrase that are saying, "Nope. Insurance fraud. And nope. Corporations aren't going to cash in on someone's life insurance policy because corporations aren't people and life insurance isn't tangible monies for investments."

>> The insurance companies are either bribing the appellate court judges, or the judges are too ignorant to understand that they are ruling in favor of insurance companies and against terminally ill policy holders.

It's the newest in ponzi-schemes. Buying something that's worth nothing, yet claiming it's worth x, y or z to invest elsewhere.

>> It's no Ponzi scheme. Vida Capital has been around since 2009, and they have generated steady profits for their investors.

Standard stuff in the world of scams. Just because someone buys a spot on a link in a Google search doesn't make it a legitimate company or a legal option.

Appeals Courts Are Setting Precedent To Halt Illegal 'Insurance Investing' scams
[reuters.com]

(Reuters) - Sun Life Assurance of Canada does not have to pay a $5 million death benefit on a life insurance policy because it was an illegal “wager on the life of a stranger,” a federal appeals court held.

>>>> The courts are literally ruling in favor of insurance companies and agains terminally ill people.

The 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed on Wednesday that former Illinois business owner Robert Corwell was acting as a straw man for an investment company, Coventry Capital, when he “seemed to buy” a policy on his own life in 2006.

Investigations into Vida Longevity
[investorlawyers.com]

In Missouri I heard stories from time to time of others making money by insuring someone, often someone that they did not know. I wanted insurance for my wife and they said she had to be a citizen first. WTF? Now that she is my ex I keep up her insurance simply because too much money has been paid in.

Wow. I worked in insurance around the time he made his first settlement, but the problem was insurance companies demanding proof of a personal financial loss so stringently that it wouldn't pay out for gay couples who had experienced the loss a life partner. Little did we know that they just had to move to Georgia.

I feel the start of a new, very lucrarive career...sell it to the sweet white-haired granny, whydoncha?

Unfuckingbelievable!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:693831
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.