Agnostic.com

33 5

Just wondering

If you were dying would you chicken out and decide to believe religion again?
Would you allow your family to go through a religious funeral?

Aherlowman 3 Apr 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hell no!

Most definitely no, and a definite hell no

I didn't when I went under the knife for my triple bypass, I didn't when I was going into anaphalactic shock, but during a long drawn out, painful death, the story might change. My family knows to have any useful parts donated to those in need, and as far as I am concerned, they are welcome to pray over the rest of it, stuff it and stand me up as a drinking buddy in someone's man cave, feed it to the worms, or eat it themselves. Actually, the drinking buddy idea seems the most appropriate idea.

never was asked to believe it in the first place so if I were dying my will would be made about what to do with my cremains and money left for a celebration - How could you stop them unless you hadnt made a will.

If I am dying would I chicken out and believe again? WTF kind of question is that? Let me ask you if you can believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny again. Do you think you can believe in them again? So, you are dying and try very hard to believe in them again because it just might have something to do with your final destination. WTF? Was this posed as a serious question?
As for me allowing my family to go through a religious funeral, I have no control of that. Keep me out of it please, as I'm going to be cremated in short order with not enough funds for anything at all like a funeral. It's already arranged.

It doesn't seem to me to be a matter of choice. Wanting to believe (which I don't) wouldn't actually make me believe. In any case, it's hard to think of many things more tedious than the Christian idea of heaven, even without harps. As for my funeral, if I should predecease my wife, she thinks I should have an Anglican funeral, even though she herself is no longer a church-goer. It seems silly to me, but if it's what she wants, it's not going to bother me, is it?

Negative. My family knows and respects my wishes.

HELL NO on both counts!
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:69563
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.