Agnostic.com

9 1

Theory of relativity?

how many of you have looked into the theory of relativity? and those who have do you think it is believable or too far fetched? If you think it doesn't add up what is you're reasoning?

adbenne96 3 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it depends. Until I take a paternity test... the theory of relativity does not apply here. 😉

It,s not far fetched, it has been proven in a lab in New York (Brookhaven National lab) 1990's in a lab when they accelerated muon particles to near the speed of light .The muons were measured to have lived about 14 times longer than normally observed just tootling along on earth.. Proving that time is relative to the observer...Kind of blows my mind....there were two time zones in one room.

The Theory of Relativity must be way over my head. I understand bits and pieces but I'm not sure how relevant to relative it is.

As we advance scientific the older science is necessary to reference. I believe Stephen Hawking has elaborated on several of Einstein`s theories. Just a general look back Newton concluded that gravity was present because of the centrifugal force caused by the earth rotation. A few hundred years later Einstein said that gravity exist because the earth warps the space around it. So all of this taken in account. Most likely the theory of relativity won't be disproved, it will be elaborated on.

It does add up. It's been tested over and over and over again. It works. (It has a slight problem with black holes, though.) It really isn't a matter of believing it or not — it's a matter of it giving correct answers.

There is nothing far fetched about it. It is a little counter intuitive until the light comes on, but that's about it. You might find these interesting and enlightening.

ROFLMAO ... Cute bit.

Special relativity is pretty accessible - you should read about it. He starts with a simple premise about the speed of light and explores the implications. It is beautiful! If the premise is true (and everything we know suggests it is), the theory follows clearly.

"Believable" isn't really a term to characterize anything in science. The scientist's goal is to explore evidence that supports or falsifies a scientific claim and to do so (as much as humanly possible) in a way that sets aside belief and opinion.

Are you asking me to argue with Einstein? I'll pass

Everything is relative. Unless you live in Alabama, where everyone is a relative.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6957
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.