Agnostic.com

2 3

Do you think there might be a viable future in the nuclear power industry? If so you better watch this. It will change your mind. If private industry (for profit) is allowed to control this power source all bets are off and no one will be safe from the greed, obfuscations and outward lies from those at the top. Netflix Three Mile Island

One thing I found of interest is the main character did the exact thing I did. When presented with a draft notice he went to a Naval recruiter wishing to join. He made it, I did not.
JackPedigo 9 Dec 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nuclear power is vastly better than burning fossil fuels to generate power. So I sure hope it has a future.

Burnbing fossil fuels is not the only viable way to generate energy. If our numbers and activities didn't stop growing, energy generation would not be such a difficult subject.

There is a wonderful future in Nuclear Power but it is is in Thorium, not Uranium or Plutonium. A Thorium meltdown is really no big deal and the spent fuel can be further used, A 1/2 cubic centimetre could power all your needs for a hundred years.

And why hasn't a thorium system been used? In the report it was (rightly) said, anything that is run by a for profit company is doomed to greed.

@JackPedigo Plenty on TED talks to answer you but simply, a Thorium plant was built in the 50s but the rush for Atomic bombs and nuclear warheads determined that Uranium was chosen, Thorium is plentiful and cheaper than U238 but does not break down into Plutonium. I believe that in theory a kg of plutonium dropped into a big pool of water in the midst of New York could flatten much of the city.

@rogerbenham So now there is one side. What happened to the other side? If it's so great why isn't it being used? The old saying when something is too good be true, it probably isn't.

@JackPedigo I don't know about your sides. What you have to appreciate is that U238 was chosen for military purposes whilst Thoium was not for the same reason. To go to Thorium requires swallowing pride, spending investment and replacing Uranium reactors with Thorium. At least a meltdown Thorium reactor does not affect its surroundings.

@rogerbenham Again, if it is so superior why hasn't it been used? I try to follow this science but have not heard anything about thorium. I looked into thorium especially the disadvantages. [nuclear-power.com]

@JackPedigo I can only suggest TED talks on the internet, I have been aware of Thorium since 1980 and using gas mantle lamps. Get a box of boxes and you will see a radioactivity sign on it. I wrote to Atomic Energy Canada then about it.

@rogerbenham Okay, the big problem, for me, is more technology being used to allow more toxic (worse than Uranium) to inhabit the planet. It's like taking a pill for a serious malady instead of changing one's life style. It's the lazy mans way to avoid the inevitable.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:702683
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.