Agnostic.com

7 7

LINK The Christians behind that 'Eye of the Tiger' cover know you think it's cringy

Despite all the drama occurring on Capitol Hill right now, the new year has also reminded us that some things will never change, like Christians rewriting old songs like “Eye of the Tiger” to spread the Gospel message:

There will be extra crowns in <strong>Heaven</strong> for those who watch the entire “Eye of the Tiger” (“Christian version” ). And may God have mercy upon your soul. #SoundOn #Yikes <b>#</b><a href="/tag/christianrock" style="float:none;">ChristianRock</a> #ChristianHipHop pic.twitter.com/u4uCe43m5i
— Lloyd Legalist (@LloydLegalist) January 1, 2023

That’s the sort of “Christianized” song you might hear in a lot of modern evangelical services. Or bootleg versions of Hamilton. And, for better or worse, both performers took their roles seriously. Maybe too seriously for the internet.

It didn’t take long before clips of that performance began circulating on social media. People commented on the man’s physique, the woman’s apparent technicolor dress, the way they looked at each other (which would be awkward if they were siblings and not a couple), the lack of enthusiasm from the mostly elderly crowd, and the guy’s attempt to throw a shirt into the audience only for it to get as far as… Row 1.

More than anything, viewers just cringed.

It didn’t help that one of the most popular clips online included the words “(Chrstian Version)”—with the misspelling—which some commenters used to mock the performers even though they had nothing to do with it.

snytiger6 9 Jan 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

ho hum

Al’s version is way better!!😎

Pa. has alot of "Christian rock " fm stations . I don't understand what thier audiences could be thinking . Mimicking is the dearest part of flattery
maybe ???. They sound deadpan.🛑
Thanks

Hope the writers and the record company sue for copyright infringement.

. . . I'm thinking Fair Use :

[copyright.gov]

Until this post I was blissfully unaware of any Christian re-working of the eye of the tiger song. I'm not even sure who does the original. Is it Journey? I did hear that some Christians got sued for ripping off the musical play Hamilton. Serves them right. Whoever the "eye" copyright holders are, they should do the same.

The band was Survivor, not Journey.
😉

@KKGator Survivor were the biggest Journey ripoffs, especially with that first singer. First time I heard it that’s who I thought it was.

@CuddyCruiser Everybody's different.
I never once confused the two.
Nobody sounds like Steve Perry.

Certainly being original is not a strongpoint for the religious.

How can one be original when they have made a point to be followers of something that isn’t real AKA ‘god’.

And i should care becuz?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:704306
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.