Agnostic.com

51 5

As an atheist/agnostic, what would you do if the Dark Ages were to come back?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

51 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree... They're here. Thanks tRump!!!

Hutch Level 7 May 28, 2018
    Keep a low profile whilst planning for the next reformation!

REFORMATION When Martin Luther, the jewhater, induced the German reformation he sascrificed the true revolutionary Thomas Muentzer who rightly claimed that the nobility derived their status from the religous authorities.

Luther only created a more aerodynamic version of the prevailing cult by stripping it of its folklore.

The keeping of a low profile and the dimming of the lights allows the darkness to creep in and s the lights of hope.

I think I would have to hide. Or resign myself to being killed. I just can't force myself to even pretend to believe.

Really it's only a tiny minority of religeous nuts that are causing all the trouble in the world, get rid of them and all will be well, exept for climate change of course which will kill us all eventually if we don't suffocate under the weight of our own garbage first. Happy days all.

Probably acquire guns then hide lols

Awe hell no! I would run and hide.

I have no idea.

Buy a flashlight.

Bunker with text books and join a rebellion. Probably get some incognito job, blend in, and use intel to inable infiltration by others in the rebellion.

Make godzillions of candles to hold it at bay.

"Not in my house you don't..! Be gone, Dark Ages..! Be gone."

Same thing I do now.

Wear black and sway to Robert Smith songs

I would re-introduce the age of enlightenment

Unfortunately, I would very likely do what most of the people did. Pretend to believe, give my money to the church and act as Christiany as possible in order to survive. The church controlled almost everything including education which is why it is called the dark ages. They destroyed anything that was not directly related to Godly wriings so there was no science or engineering. It was a horrible time in history.

@icolan It is an excellent example.

Be prepared for the fight of my life.

Pack up the fam, and haul ass to an island.

Never been to it before... it will be a first fime experience. Dark ages reference to a specific time in europe. I am in America.

I'd get used to calling beer grog.

Grog is watered down rum.

Reverse engineer modern technology to simpler technology. Sort of like steampunk. I think we will have a cleaner, greener environment.

If the few bastions of rationality we have were destroyed by religious insanity, I would keep my mouth shut, my head down and thank my lucky stars I'm not a young woman.

I would most likely be burned at the stake

Burn witches at the stake! No..
. I'd try to rekindle the fire of human progress.... we're getting to an interesting place in history I k.... we can go forward or back.... but I definitely think more depends on it then ever

sazz Level 1 May 1, 2018

I would re-introduce the age of enlightenment

I would invent the plough and become a celebrity.

I guess I would submit to Allah(didn't the muslims create the so called Dark Ages?)

the dark ages were caused, not by religious problems, but by the Maunder minimum which happens every 500 years or so, when the sun sends less sunlight to the earth causing a mini ice age. the temperature drop caused famine and drought to ravage europe, but caused a bloom in the desert areas that have been muslim. As far as what I would do...move south, find a cave, become a hermit, and spread the word of the local gods for spending money just like the preachers do today.

@heathen77 The fall of the western Roman Empire had a bit to do with it.
Also the Maunder Minimum was in the 1600s, which was late medieval or renaissance time. The dark ages started C 500-700 ad and were done by C 1000 ad.
The earlier Sporer Minimum was around 1100 ad so it's arguable that there was a previous solar minimum which contributed to the dark ages, but I've not seen reliable research to that effect.
Bear in mind that the Western Roman culture (kingdom, republic and empire) lasted more than 1200 years, enduring in that time more than one deep solar minimum. To ascribe the dark ages simply to sunspot activity oversimplifies.

@RobAnybody Pretty sure having the muslims taking Egypt,North Africa, Spain , Greece and into France could have contributed to the Dark Ages.Pretty sure the German Tribes invading Rome probably saved Italy from the Muslims .

@Grassy Islam MIGHT have contributed, but equally the Seljuk invasions could be seen as a reaction to the power vacuum left in the wake of Rome's decline.
These invasions didn't commence until the dark ages were well under way and the major European Islamic presence, the Ottomans, did not exist until after the dark ages had finished.
Add to that the fact that the sultanates were the preservers of much of the classical learning which sparked the renaissance and the most we can say is that they were a complicating factor, not a determinate. Rome would probably have been better served as part of an Islamic empire ( Indeed the name of one, Rum, was the Arabic form of Rome) from the fall until Otto. The germanic invasions hastened the fall and subsequent trauma.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:70515
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.