Agnostic.com

9 6

LINK What is a "Christian Country"?

It's one that gives me a headache.

rainmanjr 8 Jan 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A fable at best a nightmare at worst.

I'm astounded at the arguments advanced. How could Christianity have promulgated Western progressive ideas and technology now when it suppressed such values for the previous thousand years. And as we look at those values in the West that still endorse bigotry in all its forms, essentially all of that comes from Christian know-nothings.

Secularism or Humanist attitudes do NOT derive from Christianity, and such non-believers are the ones that actively oppose Christian tyranny. Understanding this, one can see the claim of a Christian country as dishonest propaganda. The lie comes from the Christian quarters who are desperate to retain their power and the public narrative.

A Christian country would be a theocracy whose laws come from Christian values. While many laws do reflect Christian beliefs, people recognize that the laws that align with Humanism provide much fairer, more honorable treatment of fellow citizens (pro-woman, pro-LBGTQ, pro-minority, pro-science). And, those laws that promote cruel, inhumane treatment draw support from Christians. Indeed, Christians are rapidly losing their purchase on the public narrative as Christianity is revealed to be intolerant and hateful.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts about the video. I have enjoyed J.J. for the last few years but he freely admits to being a conservative Canadian. He's certainly knowledgeable about Canada and, by extension, States of America so I was a bit surprised by what I seemed to have heard. That's why I shared it. He's a working guy and going where his spirit takes him but it's time to leave him. I'm really trying to be careful of what's going into the cranium these daze.

A "Christian country" is something to be avoided.

Good indepth reporting.

Difference between Canada and the US

Canada today has no state religion, and the Government of Canada is officially committed to religious pluralism. Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms makes reference to "the supremacy of God. Atheism is not a registered religion. Prime Minister were Kim Campbell- fairly anti-organized-religion. Jean Chrétien was anti-clerical. Sir Wilfred Laurier even more so. Clark, Turner and Mulroney kept their religion to themselves.

US constitution has no word, God in it, only God in part in new ammendment. America or the US Corp is based on corporatism not Christianity. Atheism is registered as a religion for protection , yet no atheist in US congress.

My personal objective and personal growth only come in very little part of religion or politics. And all centroism dominance brings corruption absolutely.

I'm told (by a college history Professor) that Jefferson had no mention of god in his original draft and Adams thought he should so Jefferson compromised with "Their Creator."

Oh, geeze. There was Lauren Bloefart in a video again.

Like Afghanistan but with Cardinals instead of Imam's

You mean like Rome and the Vatican?

@Mickey Yes, but with more land mass and loping of heads. Though if you take the historical account into consideration, Afghanistan probably has some catching up to do on the head count.

In simple terms. Any country with a majority population who identify as Christian, but it is rarely that simple.

A mythical land as yet undiscovered.

In the UK we have an ' established church ' and to me this means that the church has priorities in government which stop the ordinary citizen getting their just returns .

Mmmm I prefer to think of it as "inside the tent pissing out". The crossbench bishops only make up a small contingent of the Lords and most time they vote with Labour.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:705939
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.