Agnostic.com

27 5

How do you date?

I've been single for the last 10 year's. I have no idea what to do past chatting.

Sean_Noe 3 May 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I prefer MM/DD/YYYY, but for sorting I use YYYYMMDD. πŸ™‚

Hahahahaha!

You, sir. Win.

@bigpawbullets Yeah -- I do have a warped sense of humor -- and when I see something I run with it. As to dating, the last time I went out on a date was 1973 and have been divorced since 1998. I have no idea of how to date. From what I've seen it has changed a LOT since I was younger. I would guess conversation, asking for a date, going to dinner or a show, taking her home. Maybe?

I forge friendships. If feelings develop and it makes sense to explore that then I try to be open to those opportunities. I dislike all the time and effort put into dating to realize they aren't who you thought or that it is not going to work for any number of reasons. Also, if feelings don't develop past friendship, I have gained another good friend.

Month, day and year. The European order is confusing.

@Silvertongue year, month, day cause it sorts itself

Day / Month / Year is, in my opinion, less confusing, specifically when today's date is written as "1 May 2018". Keeping the numbers apart causes less confusion and for brevity just change the month to its chronological counterpart--i.e., 1/5/2018. But I'm based in the US so I would grudgingly write 5/1/2018 (although I usually use the Brit convention--with the month in the middle and spelled out-- 'cause it makes more sense. Plus, I'm fancy).

I have been on 3 entire dates so I'm kinda a pro at this.

You ask them to coffee or lunch and then take them some place fun but not overwhelming so you can keep talking and getting to know eachother.

My date took me to the museum, and then the second date was to walk around the state fair, and third was to a small summer festival in the community. It was very fun. It didn't work out between us, but it was a great date

How do I date? Profoundly infrequently ?

Be yourself, be polite,use manners.If you can make a Woman laugh you won't go wrong. It all comes back believe me.

Coldo Level 8 May 1, 2018

I'm in ignorance about this, too. Until February I was married for 17 years.

Deb57 Level 8 May 1, 2018

Day trips are nice. Outdoor music. Meet for beers or some wine. Get something to eat. You know, the basics.

Hey, hows things? Why not try finding someone you enjoy the company of first? Dating and love and ither squishy stuff comes later xx

Avoid the cliche "dinner and a movie" as a first date. Worst first date ever. You spend the entire date either eating or silently sitting in a movie theater. You don't get to know each other at all

Pick some interesting places to go to while on dates, depending upon the interests of both partners. I've been on dates to places like the Jersey shore, bowling, bookstores/cafes, and my local science center.

@Shelton Yeah, being that I live in eastern PA, Atlantic City NJ is my favorite vacation destination.

Go bowling!

@Funnygir175 When I used to take karate lessons, my karate academy had one day out of the year where you could bring a family member or friend to class, and I brought my girlfriend at the time. That made for an interesting date, but yeah, bowling is good too.

I only date one man at a time.

Very nice of you. πŸ™‚

My ex should have thought of that?

Just keep dating Palmla Handerson.

that sounds like a good start. Chatting in a neutral place if this is the first face to face contact , finding out common interests and see what you might want to do together when you meet again

You invite them to meet you at a public place. Now.

I don't know. I've never been on a date.

Well, when a boy and girl really like each other...

Same here bro, no good answers but so you don’t feel alone in the human experience: I think I’m on year 11 or 12 myself. Been on a few dates, very few second or third dates, but other than one random hookup and making a few new friends, I haven’t had much of shit to show for it. Just try to find a chance to take them out n have fun if you meet anyone through dating apps, but don’t expect too much.

It's like a friendship but more. How you make friends?

If you have some inclinations, talk about them. If the other person is into it, then do them. If not, then find someone else to chat with and go from there. That's it. It actually is that simple (assuming the other person is an aware, adult, and worthwhile).

If you drink alcohol,its easy,otherwise join a dating service to weed out drunks,and druggies.

Some of the best people l know drink and or do drugs. It is the teatotalers l have found the least trustworthy, more punctual yes, but the least trustworthy. ?

I look at it as, "is this someone I'm compelled to know more about?" If so, keep chatting, and if it feels right ask to meet maybe for coffee in a public place. Don't anticipate or assume anything, just be open and patient and curious.

I apologize if the following is a lengthier response than you’d care for. It’s based on a lecture by Prof Kerry Cronin of Boston College, entitled β€œThe Imperfect Art of Dating.” β€” I’ve found it to be a helpful system.

3 levels of dating:

Level 0, find someone you think is interesting, ask them on a β€œcoffee date.” If they decline, find another person to ask.

Level 1: coffee date, non-eclusive (could have two planned on the same day with different people.) 60-90 min max time. Spend no more than $10 on them.
Reveal a few interesting things about yourself, ask them some intriguing questions.

Level 2: get to know them exclusively (focuse on one person), feel free to spend more than $10, and go longer than 90 min. Note, at this stage both parties are still β€œin charge of their own emotions.”
(i.e. don’t burden eacother too much with the other’s challenges.)

Level 3: same as level 2, but now you have a deeper emotional comittment, and can begin to β€œlean” on the other person for support.

Enjoy

Chat. Find someone you find interesting. Find some place you are both interested in going. Say "Why don't we go to....." and if they say yes, you go.

Kimba Level 7 May 1, 2018

Please don’t be in the news for INCEL violence.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:70849
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.