Agnostic.com

20 3

Do you alway's follow the speed limit when driving?

I know it's the law to follow the posted speed limit but when I find myself in a rush, I get annoyed when I am behind a driver that chooses not to exceed the speed limit.
We have all seen these types of drivers who drive 35mph with both hands on the wheel and only look straight.

twshield 8 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

never, on principle that I'm being told not to do something 🙂

I drive as fast as traffic will allow me to do so safely. I usually stay under 80 85 on the highway . I always go slow thru residential areas. I was a trucker for many years , drove the lower 48 sates. I saw a lot of stupid shit out there and a lot of avoidable accidents. I once passed a scene were a big truck , 18 wheeler and a motorcycle had made contact. As I drove past I saw 2 yellow tarp like blankets covering some thing .One was very small and short the other was larger and longer , then I saw the blood. It was a man and his child .. dead. I will never forget that. It made me slow down and look twice before changing lanes or pulling into traffic.

About 7 over.

when people pass me on double yellow lines and want to exceed the speed limit I just figure they are on their way to a wreck, I follow the speed limit unless distracted then correct myself

On highways always., on side streets and in town most of the time

I am a very offensive driver. I tend to always drive 10+ mph over the speed limit unless I'm driving through a neighborhood. Then, I drive super slow because I would hate to hit a kid because they were chasing a ball or something (I have kids too). My biggest pet peeve is people who drive the speed limit in the left lane on the interstate and refuse to get over or speed up.

that interstate thing is actually against the law and I have seen peoplel ticketed for that.It impedes the flow

On neighborhood, town and city yes-Oh highway definitely not. We have some rural interstates set at 65-most people travel 70-80 on those if no state troopers around. They usually don't stop you till you hit eighty.

I was 'invited' to a speed awareness workshop back in 2012 (alternative to a fine, and worse, my insurance company knowing about it). At the start we were asked how many of us would go a few mph above the limit in a built up area. Around 60% said they probably would. At the end we were asked the same question and only about 30% said they would.

There's usually a reason for speed limits - though I might push it sometimes.

Religiously.

Nope.... 😉

I like a lot of folk as they get older follow the rules a bit closer. It probably because I don't trust my reactions that well anymore. I do however still get perturbed when people drive below the limit.

gearl Level 8 Dec 8, 2017

Were you following me? 😉

It depends but usually 5-10 over on the highway/expressway and on the side streets pretty close to what's posted.

I obey the laws of physics. 186,000 mps-- it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

I always do at 15 over. No tickets yet, since 2006.

I drive too fast, but I'm not insane about it.
I won't speed in school or construction zones.
There is this fact though, there are people out there who should not have a license or be allowed to drive.
Some look like they're absolutely terrified to be behind the wheel, and that makes them dangerous by being unpredictable.

I don't drive anymore due to vision problems. When I did drive I always drove 5 - 10 MPH above the speed limit on the highway, and at or slightly above the speed limit in the city .In really hilly country, when I topped a hill and could see all the way to the crest of the next hill, I would add another 5 - 10 mph.

I lived in the fast lane when I lived in California. If you were not driving at least 80 mph in the far left lane of an L.A. freeway you were a road hog blocking traffic. The posted speed might be 65 but the unofficial rules of the road said 80 and those were the ones that prevailed. Sure. There were cops handing out tickets. But they couldn't write them fast enough to make any difference. The benefits of driving in the fast lane were similar to the benefits of schooling minnows. There is safety in numbers from the predators. Here in Oregon it is hard to reach the speed limit. The roads are so bad and poorly engineered that one has to drive slowly to navigate the nightmare.

It has been 15 years. Even then, when I drove to LA from Santa Barbara for the weekend, I would wait until 3 am to return home.

I actually try to drive approximately the speed limit, at most five miles per hour over, because I don't want a ticket for something that doesn't get me to my destination significantly sooner. But, sometimes I'm not paying close attention and find myself creeping well above the speed limit.

On the highway I can crank it up to warp 8; on the side roads I'm more careful.

I didn't think anyone else thought of 10mph increments as "warp factors." I have been doing this since I got a license.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7088
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.