Agnostic.com

8 9

LINK The shocking confessions of a naturopathic doctor

I have long had questions about "naturpathic" doctors, I'm glad I trusted my gut...

HippieChick58 9 May 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Quacks are out there but keep in mind that the FDA seems to owe a lot to those who have spent millions to prefect a new medication. That tells me plenty. I'm also old enough to remember remedies that worked until the FDA came along and ruined them. This ruination consisted of cutting down on the active ingredients and just as often made you have to have a doctor's prescription to get the product. God forbid that anyone practice medicine without a license.

Lol... yep... they are real zeroes...

The author is a dummy. First, the article doesn’t even explain what a naturopath is. They go on to explain how they realized it was bunk after they went to school and started practicing it. A bit late for that.

They were convinced because their boss ordered a substance not regulated by the FDA, which doesn’t sound like a great reason.

I would need to know more about the author and his connections before I consider this a credible article.

Shared on FB.

I feel lost. I don't understand, is it one bad guy or is the whole field full of corruption?

Having read about the author [en.wikipedia.org] I think that she is sincere but mistaken. Both standard and alternative medicine have severe problems, but Ms.Hermes has only seen the failings of the alternative side with her own eyes, and with the passion of youthful idealism she has overgeneralized the case. In general, I would say that a good ND is better than a good MD for chronic health problems, because a good ND will prescribe diet and exercise, and that is what works.

The whole field is based on nonsense, pseudoscience and lies. Hermes is one of the few people who made it out the other side. I had the pleasure of meeting her last year, she's intelligent, expressive, and honest.

I am skeptical of all alternative medicine practitioners. including chiropractors. After 14 years of back pain, I once went to a chiropractor. He did his bogus bsack manipulations. The very next day, I had to go in for back surgery.

Sorry.... NOT shocking. We all knew that.

There are good and bad ND's just as there are good and bad MDs. I'd rather take the advice of Dr Michael Murray ND than almost all MDs I have met. [doctormurray.com]

Just because a drug is illegal in the USA does not mean it is ineffective. It may or may not be. The US FDA is a notorious lapdog of pharmaceutical companies that Trump hasn't gotten around to reforming. He's been too busy with the EPA.

The medical profession in general is a shocking mess. One of their own, Duke University Medical School grad Dr Frederick Klenner, published in 1949 that a massive dose of intravenous vitamin C would cure polio and other acute viral infections. Here we are 69 years later, and people still die unnecessarily from the flu, and the FDA says that intravenous vitamin C is an unapproved drug. If you want to read the story about what happened in New Zealand a few years back, Google "Alan Smith flu".

That was my thoughts too. I was skeptical of the accusations without understanding if these were last ditch honest efforts to try and save people or if these drugs were just garbage drugs to make profits. If I was faced with death and there was a drug untested by the FDA, I'm not going to care if it has any chance of extending my life. If it's just rat poison with no hope of curing me and the doctor knows this but wants a payday then that's different.

I don't know about the particulars of what her boss did. From what I read about Ms. Hermes she is very smart, but doesn't have a comprehensive view of medical practice.

I would use Dr. Murray's expertise any day over a number of MD's I have experienced.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:71080
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.