Agnostic.com

96 7

How long...?

How long have you gone being celibate?

LouRaven 5 May 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

96 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I see...

Five years. My ex came to visit me in Thailand in 2013, but I decided he hadn't changed and wouldn't return with him.

About a year?

Haven’t been with anyone for five years. But I don’t consider myself celibate. To me, celibacy is about much more than not having an intimate partner. Celibacy is the ‘choice’ to not pursue or engage in sexual or intimate activity.
I’m not celibate- if the opportunity comes along, with a person worth my time and love, I will most certainly be involved with them physically and emotionally.

Too long!

About three years. In talking with other guys though it appears my sex drive is lower than average.

Better than having a high sex drive and not being able to make it happen.

@Honestape I have never had any problems with performance. I just go through periods of not beign really all that interested.

HAha! From 1994 to 2009.

Around fifteen years. Arriving at the start was complicated - caused by wife running up credit card debt leaving us over £32,000 in debt (but only discovered this once finished employment that brought in £3,500 a month - income on retirement dropped to less than £12,000 a YEAR!) The debt had 'accumulated' over a period of some ten years but she never once expressed any concern - and in case anyone gets any wrong ideas, her silence was NOT because she was scared of me for I am not physically violent (unless as a matter of self-defence) and have never struck a woman in all of my 77 years and, to cover all bases (as my American friends might say) I have never applied 'psychological cruelty' either; it's not who I am. My affection for my wife was put on a back burner that slowly went out and any passion cooled until frozen. It was not the debt; money can always (eventually) be repaid, it was all those years of deceit and only revealing the problem when my income was greatly reduced. My most immediate concern was if one of our cats required medical attention resulting in a large vet bill and this nightmare occurred some eighteen months later: at that moment I actually hated her (the hate did not last long - just a sudden 'flash' because she had placed me in this terrible position, and it had cooled by the following day as I concentrated on fixing the situation. Circumstances and some hectic negotiations meant we were able to save our little cat) Of course, there is much more that I could write. We are still together but the relationship is more akin to that of brother and sister. It was tough going over twelve years but, three years ago, we finally became 'debt free' (HA! Bet you didn't expect that lot, did you?)

@beansontoast So funny it is you are.

So did you have sex to celebrate? (Is this what this post is about? I've forgotten?)

I plead the 5th (haha I'm Canadian!)

Bout a week.

Coldo Level 8 May 2, 2018

A year so far. But I take care of myself.

What is the equivalent of "Blue Balls" in men for women? Just curious

@Heart_Truth I believe the brits say randy

24 hrs now, phew ! It is a lifetime ?

The sad stories here is difficult to take ... We need to lighten the mood a little since of all days today is hump day.
Put those digits to work people!

@McVinegar (pointing my nose with index finger then point you)

I went about a month with no orgasms once, just to prove to myself I could do it. I wasn't very happy so I haven't repeated the experiment. But as far as not enjoying sex with others, the longest period was several months. I don't have a precise count. It's a time I try to forget, LOL.

This has to be one of the longest threads so far...about 6 months, maybe longer. Actually, I'm not thinking about this question right. I was celibate for 3 years when I was a fundy Christian.

A year and still counting

I honestly do not remember when the last time I had a partner in the bedroom. I remember who it was. Seems like maybe 3 years.

It's been 14yrs

I went 11 years, from 06 to 2017 before breaking the dry spell of the century. Which was a rather unsatisfying random tinder hookup. Still waiting on anything repeatable. Surprised there are a couple people who have me beat, but considering that decade dry spell was my entire 20’s, it particularly sucks.

@TampaHeathen I don’t take it personally. I appreciate it as I’m sure it’s either a supportive gesture, or a suggested place for me to sit and spin in the meantime ?

Not going to lie it has been 29 years.

Every time I masturbate I lose count and have to start over.

Huuumm!

Currently, about a year. Meh.

Ya, no. I'll pass on that celibacy thing.

Emme Level 7 May 2, 2018

The act, or the admission?

@ghettophilosopher
Here ya go:
16 years ago, I chose celibacy for 1 year. Happy?

@Emme If I in some way made you feel pressured to answered the question, it wasn’t my intent and I apologize. It was just a ham fisted attempt at light humor. Again, I’m sorry.

@ghettophilosopher
I'm so NOT at all offened?

Alright!

If I count the beginning of my life, 19 years because of religious reasons. I then realized I was an atheist and started living a little more because I stopped feeling guilt about it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:71398
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.