Agnostic.com

4 9

LINK I'm a public employee and the governor pushes religion at work — Ask a Manager

By ALISON GREEN on MARCH 13, 2023
A reader writes:

Unlike the bulk of your letters, I’m going to name my employer for two reasons: (1) I technically work for an elected official so it’s not a standard boss/employee relationship and (2) multiple reporters covered and recorded the behavior in question because these were public events. You can find it online everywhere.

I’m a state employee in Virginia, and I’m not appointed. Although I work at an agency, I am technically part of the executive branch, which means I work for Governor Glenn Youngkin. I am also an atheist.

AD
I’m pretty high up in my agency, which means I work directly with Governor Youngkin’s staff a lot on public events: speeches, ribbon cuttings, announcements, meetings, etc. During his speeches, he and his wife repeatedly mention their Christian faith, and they speak as though the entire audience is Christian as well.

Here’s what bothers me. One of Governor Youngkin’s habits is to open a public event or speech with a prayer (or a minister does it), heavily reference his relationship with Jesus Christ throughout his remarks, and request us to bow our heads and say “amen.” In one instance, he said all of us at a public meeting were “created in God’s image” and I was so uncomfortable and annoyed, but I hid my frustration. I refuse to bow my head or close my eyes or clasp my hands or say “amen” on command or applaud an anecdote about the power of believing in Jesus Christ. I merely stand or sit where I am and say nothing, looking off into the distance. Several days ago, my big boss (a Youngkin appointee) noticed that I wasn’t bowing my head during the opening prayer at a public event, and he gave me a puzzled look and then an eyebrow raise. Although I’m uncomfortable, I’ve never said anything nor drawn attention to myself. I doubt anyone else in my office knows how I feel. But…

There’s another event with the governor coming up, and my big boss said he wants to talk to me beforehand. (It might not be about my lack of participation.) I’d like to be prepared if he or anyone from the administration approaches me about my lack of participation in religious offerings. (My big boss is very concerned with appearances.) What are my rights? What can they legally ask me to do? How can I politely and professionally push back? Do I have to disclose that I’m an atheist? Can they forbid me from attending these events? (If they did, that’d be a huge blow to my career.) I checked my HR policy, but I can’t find anything specific to this scenario.

The other non-Christians in my office would like this information as well.

(To be clear, I don’t think Governor Youngkin is actively trying to convert people. I think he and his staff have been around people who believe exactly like them for so long that they don’t realize that employees of other faiths and no faiths exist as well.)

Youngkin is my governor too and it’s infuriating to watch what he’s doing in our state.

I asked employment lawyer Jon Hyman of Wickens Herzer Panza, who writes the incredibly useful Ohio Employer Law Blog and is the author of The Employer Bill of Rights: A Manager’s Guide to Workplace Law, to weigh in on this. Here’s what he said:

The workplace and religion do not mix, whether the workplace is public or private. An employer cannot force its employees to conform to, follow, or practice their employer’s chosen religious practices and beliefs. Anything different violates Title VII in either a public or private workplace. Moreover, in a government workplace there are additional First Amendment concerns. A state or local government does not violate the First Amendment by starting government meetings with a prayer, as the Supreme Court held in 2014 in Town of Greece v. Galloway. Still, there is a vast difference between holding a prayer and forcing participation in it, even nominally such a bowing one’s head or otherwise appearing to be reverent. The latter is unlawful (and in this case likely unconstitutional).

What that means in your case: You cannot be required to participate in prayer. You cannot be told to bow your head or say “amen.” You must be allowed to sit quietly and not participate, as you have been doing. They also cannot forbid you from attending public events or work events if you decline to perform religious observance in the way they want.

You do not need to disclose you are an atheist. You can disclose it, if you want to! But you’re entitled to keep that private too.

I asked Jon, “If the letter-writer’s boss does confront them about why they’re not bowing their head, etc. during prayer, do you have suggested wording to push back? I know they could just bluntly say that they can’t legally be required to participate — and that may be the way to go — but assuming they’re concerned about keeping things as harmonious as possible in their working relationships and since they appear to be dealing with zealots, would you advise any particular messaging? My first thought is to say something like, ‘Oh, I don’t participate in public prayers’ … and then only if pushed, ‘Legally, we can’t require that type of participation from employees.’” Jon replied:

If asked, it certainly puts the employee in a difficult spot. I like the idea of a softer approach first, something like, “My religion and spirituality is very personal to me, and I’d prefer to keep it out of the workplace.” If pushed, the employee could always fall back to legal argument, but at that point I feel like the relationship might be damaged to the point of irreparability.

I love the “my religion and spirituality is very personal to me, and I’d prefer to keep it out of the workplace” language if you’re comfortable saying it and would have that ready to go if you need it.

Jon also offered this advice to employers:

If you’re thinking of holding a prayer meeting, conducting spiritual discussions or rituals, or doing anything else remotely related to religion at your company, don’t. Religion has no place at work. Your employees have the unfettered right to practice the religion of their choice or not to practice any religion at all, and none of it is any of anyone else’s business.

HippieChick58 9 Mar 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Keep track of everything on this account. You are looking at a spectacular hostile workplace suit. And maybe more than one defendant?

Well that's a sticky wicket. I worked with a guy at a printshop back in the 1970's. He was the typesetter, I did the pasteup and camera work.
We were working on a little advert for a local modeling agency. The typesetter was a re-covering Catholic and atheist. He'd already put an image of Christ on the wall at his typesetting station. Frequently switching out the caption for this iconic image. The captions were usually blasphemous, my favorite was the "Don't Just Dream of Being a Model", from the advert for the model agency. The best part was when the boss saw, his back was to me but I saw his shoulders slump and I heard the sigh. He did not say a word, just turned and left our work area.
He knew he could not say anything or fire either one of us.
Instead he created all these "new" rules for the work place and we had all agreed to quit when he announced the "new" work place rules, when the meeting happened and he introduced these new rules I was the only to quit and walk out. I had no obligations other than myself so I can see why they did not walk out.
The kicker is when I applied for unemployment benefits I was denied at first because I quit. I challenged the decision based on the "new rules" and other work place bullshit the mini czar already had in place. After going over my reasons for quitting and reading the "new" rules, the guy reviewing my challenge had one question for me: "Why did you work there as long as you did?" I didn't know any better but felt the recent changes were just too much so I quit.
I won my challenge and received unemployment benefits until I found another job, which back before the printing industry went to computers it was easy to find another job.

NOBODY should be put in this position! Governor or not...this man should be required to STOP! Wonder what FFRF could do for the employees?

I must find more educated words, but I need to get "educated first". I guess under that fucking situation- I would probably lose my job. Enough of the bull-shit--- about every thing- including religion!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:714095
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.