Agnostic.com

7 2

What are some foreign words or phrases that you find funny?

I find it funny that Americans call the posterior a 'fanny'.

Fanny is what the British, Aussies, and Kiwis call a vagina. 😀

What you guys call a fanny pack, we call a bum bag.

That's just one off the top of my head.

Can you guys think of any?

Kreig 7 Dec 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Another one I like from the Germans is, "schtinktier". It's a smelly animal......a skunk.

Germans call a vacuum cleaner a "staubzucker" (sorry, no unlauts) which literally means "dust sucker". The Germans are so literal.

Coincidentally, this came up today as a memory I shared last year on FB.
A cute Aussie-American couple.

I'll say this word with all respect to anyone that thinks this word refers or applies to them. The word is used as a slang. It's ( coonass. ) it refers to cajons that had worn a raccoon hat. This word is still used. Not by me though.

I was on a band exchange between our Ottawa high school and a New Jersey marching band. They had no idea what a "fridge" was!

On a related note, what's funny to me is someone whose first language is NOT english, trying to use sayings, metaphors, and colloquialisms. One asian dude I worked with kept saying "I have an idea I want to run through you." I also had a manager who always said - "It's not rocket surgery".

Where's C3PO when you need him?

It is very difficult to translate Asian to English or English to Asian. Some things are just not translatable.

The German language makes compound words by forming them together in one long word. A German word I find funny because it is a perfect example of a German compound word is "aufeinandergestappelt" -- which means "stacked on top of each other. "

An even longer one is the "Donaudampffahrtschiffgescllschaftt" -- the Danube Steamship Trip Company.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7143
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.