Agnostic.com

3 8

Today was a momentous day for me. As a long time subscriber of the ‘Atlantic’ (the nations oldest and one of the most respected periodicals) I finally got a letter published. I have been trying for over 25 years and getting pissed off at a certain article got me to write and quit my subscription.

The article in general was titled: “The Eureka Theory of History is Wrong.” The passage was: ” One possible explanation is that progressives have become too focused on what are essentially negative prescriptions for improving the world, including an emphasis on preservation and sacrifice ( "reduce, reuse, recycle” ) over growth (“build, build, build” ). At the extreme, this ascetic style leads to calls for permanent declines in modern living standards, a philosophy known as “degrowtherism.” The aim is noble: to save our descendants from climate change by flying less, traveling less, buying less, and using less. But it is a profound departure from progressivism’s history, which is one of optimism about the ability of society to improve lives on a big scale through bold action. It’s self-defeating to tell voters: “My opponent wants to raise your living standards, but I promise I won’t let that happen.” It’s far better—and, arguably, more realistic—to tell voters that building more renewable power is a win-win that will make energy cheaper and more abundant.”

My letter was abridged but the printed version was: ”I saw merit in Thompson’s argument until I reached the final section. The great problem of today’s world is not economic but ecological, and Thompson’s idea of “build, build, build” won’t solve it. We live on a planet with limited resources. Our economic system is dependent on our ecological system, not the other way around. We think our technology will protect us and therefore feel we can continue to expand ad infinitum.”

jackjr 7 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, like so fucking what????? There are too many people, and therefore too many criminals, to get anything reasonable done.

The atlantic is all about whatever will Inflame anyone....

But, the population deflation bomb is already instigating the chinese communist party to expand their wars...

They are everywhere.... loans, projects,... the US is rife with invasion/infiltration... Progressives? Ignorant compliants.

You ain't wrong brother!

I wonder as I canceled my subscription but after printing my complaint I resubscribed (there are a lot of great articles. After 911 a famous journalist went to the site and they printed his report in four issues. His ability to go into normally no go zones (like a huge collection of gold bars underneath the site) was astounding. He had several intimate interviews with different groups and one group of firefighters were seen taking clothing from some stores, folding them up and putting them in trucks.

So now ya gonna be all snooty that you're been published? 🤣🤣🤣

Our planet is a finite resource and once flight was achieved it should have been obvious but that's just my opinion.

No, as it's pretty obvious. I can't imagine ever being snotty. It's just not my nature.

Funny thing, I did get printed once before. It was about an article during the 'W' years and a journalist went to Tehran to visit the prison (now a museum )where the American hostages were kept. The journalist said all the staff would say George Bush and give the thumbs up. My late partner laughed and said that was the Iranian sign for the finger. So I wrote a letter saying that. Problem was I couldn't use my own name as it is not Iranian so I used her name Parvin Baharloo. Of course it got printed but the journalist replied he was sure the staff knew what it meant in English. Again, my partner laughed and said, yes they did but they also knew the dumb Americans did not know what it meant in Farsi. She said Iranians are noted for being very sly. They got the last laugh.

@jackjr I was joking of course Jack, I know you could never be snooty - GREAT story about the Shrub years. So it really is true this emoji👍- the thumbs up - is the Iranian sign for the finger in Farsi? FAR OUT!!!! I gotta message my friend Tina! She'll love it!

@silverotter11 I just had a looong conversation with a female friend here (both she and her husband are from Dallass) about communication. She pounded me on how I tend to go on and on (I can just see the eyes rolling lol). She is right and if I want to attract a partner I have to, and want to, ask more questions. We also talked about body language and how that's another language of its own. When talking to my late partner I would remark, I felt I would have to wear a paper bag over my head as she was always mis-interpreting my facial expressions. In Rome when the crowd wanted the winning gladiator to kill off the loser they did not point thumbs down (as the kill would involve a knife thrust to the neck) but a thumb toward the throat. Communication can be a real maize sometimes.

@jackjr OH! Lordy is that a fact! I use my hands a lot when I talk and get pretty animated sometimes. I would not make a good poker player, whatever I'm thinking is right there on my face. BUT I too have experienced my expressions being mis-interpreted! Particularly when I worked with a bunch of guys.

@silverotter11 So like an Italian, if one wants to keep you quiet then they have to tie your hands behind your back!? My late partner was like that and even though she lost her ability to speak she still managed to communicate.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:714501
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.