Agnostic.com

9 26

It's Boulder Season

Springtime in North Central Washington is also boulder season. Driving to hiking trails, I stop to roll away large rocks and tree limbs and fill in potholes that could swallow my car. I keep a smaller "ladies" shovel in the trunk.

Residents on western Entiat River Road found themselves down to one lane this weekend after a giant rock slid off the nearby slope and landed on the roadway. The uphill lane remained open today, but crews have begun work to break up that boulder and remove it from the road.

Chelan County Public Works managers asked drivers to avoid the area if at all possible, and expect traffic delays if they must pass through. The road surface will also have to be patched due to damage from the rockfall.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Emoticons and emojis to copy For use in Discord, Facebook, iPhone, iPad, Android, Mails, and Instagram, there are more than 1800 emojis and emoticons that may be all emojis copy and paste

We’ve just had roads washed out due to flooding from cyclones season here in NZ.

You’re welcome to bring your shovel and help fix them.

This might be a situation where that boulder might be useful.

Yikes! That’s a big one. I lived in Southern California for 36 years and saw many a stone, albeit rarely that large on the road, especially in Angeles Crest.

Cones are good. I remember driving in Turkey, something had not landed on the road, but half the road had collapsed and fallen down the hill. There was clear drop of several hundred feet, with just enough surface left for a small car to inch round, between the solid rocks on one side and the drop on the other.

Some kind local person had come out and tried to mark it, though they did not have any cones, so they had just tipped a barrow load of earth at either end of the drop. It was lucky we were not traveling at night, because the earth was hardly visible, and one small barrow load would not have stopped a car going over.

It's always interesting to get to experience how other countries live. You just brought back some memories for me. What was Turkey like?

@BOBdammit Turkey is wonderful. OK it is sometimes great because it is so conservative, that it is like going back to childhood, and sometimes of course that is a bit of a pain. But what makes it wonderful, is that the people are by nature so kind, and so cheerful. They have their problems and have elected an ultra conservative right wing leader, who is not helping, but that sometimes makes me think that good people always get bad leaders, and only hard difficult people can hold their governments in its place.

The Islamic culture is very moderate and welcoming, not at all fundamentalist, and the country is a wonderful mix of rich farmland, high mountains and warm bright coasts. And it is much lusher and more green than most of the Near East. While there are so many historic sites, in what was for thousands of years close to the centre of Mediterranean culture, you can not even count them.

@Fernapple
Thank you so much for sharing! I would love to hear more!

I laughed at the rubber road cones surrounding a lump of stone vomited by a mountain, but realize the seriousness of nature being violent at times. To those from the city, yes. A bear might trample your tent. You may wake up to said trampled tent only to face a foot of snow in the night to finish your tent off. The next morning, you wake to a flattened camp, and knee deep in snow. Do I miss it? You bet!

@BOBdammit

You have the funniest username!

Over 98% of wildfires are started by reckless male idiots.

Wildfires destroy trees and vegetation that holds soil and rocks in place, causing landslides and mudslides.

We need trees to provide oxygen.

@LiterateHiker
And let's not even mention the 'enjoyment' of ATVs There is nothing comparable to listening to the birds singing to the background of exhaust belching.
I seriously hope you know of some special places. If you do, cherish them while they last. My last getaway was taken away. It would break my heart if that started to happen to you.

And you can thank a deceased British author for the first part of my username. ) I hope spring is treating your hiking shoes well! I always look forward to your adventures!

And you can thank agnostic.com for losing my original username: holysocks.

@BOBdammit ATV is a swear word at my house. You should see what they’ve done to the desert and the nearby sand dunes. And the state of Arizona condones it.

@MsKathleen
Neanderthals... Go fast and tear it up. It makes me sick. Unfortunately, it's happening all over the country and in unexpected places.

Looking at the photo reminds me of my trip to Flappy Bird Washington last year.

This reminds me of our drive in Iceland.
In central NY we have lots of glacial erratics dropped by the continental glacier.

I used to have a friend south of Issaquah who decided to put a basement under his house.

Being the kind of guy he was he laid out his plans and started digging. Unfortunately he quickly discovered a rock under his house.

Ok... He decided to uncover it and remove it. But he just kept digging and digging. It wasn't just a rock. It was a boulder!

Again being stubborn, he just kept digging. The boulder was 2/3 the size of his intended basement. It turned out to be too large to remove.

Some months later he finally sort of gave up. If he still has the house it has an odd shaped basement with a large rock dominating it.

I think boulders are just part of the landscape on both sides of the Cascades. There doesn't seem to be much we can do about them.

I remember crossing the state in the spring, you always paid attention when you saw the falling rock sign or the chainlink fence on the mountainside.

I don't know what state that was, but the state I grew up in had 15 mph signs for curves in the mountain roads. I'm sure both experiences were similar especially if you had a parent willing to travel down the mountain in an ancient truck loaded with hay in a snow storm.

End result, change underwear, then do chores.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:715071
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.