Agnostic.com

17 1

Is an 'open' marriage a marriage?

Would you consider being in one?

atheist 8 Dec 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No-wouldn't like sharing

Sure. It's your marriage. You live it however the hell you want. Well, you and your partner...

Yes, It made me happier and more lively as a person

I am married and had a first hand experience

Yes

Yes, the definition of marriage is changing all the time, some marry for love, some marry for money and some marry for the sake of not being alone.

Marriage means different things to different people.

Yes if it is ok with both parties.

no, i wouldn't have an open relationship

personally, I think marriage is a load of rubbish as I don't need some stranger telling me who I can be with and how I should be with them especially when I have to pay the stranger to do so. an honest relationship, on the other hand, has nothing to do with what you do so much as how you go about it. if you both enjoy orgies and both know about it and you're happy it's all good. if you lie and cheat that's another thing. a relationship or wedding is a compromise to one degree or another after all.

I would guess that's up to the couple in the marriage.

Yes ,it is because marriage is a type of contract and until that contract is legally dissolved, the marriage exists in the name of the law, no matter what the two individuals indulge in.

I'm happy for people to define marriage any way that suits them. My definition for my own use contains four elements.

1. Cohabitation.
  2. Sexual exclusivity.
  3. The assumption of permanence.
  4. The goal of constant relational improvement.

All other arrangements, look like dating to me (which is also perfectly fine).

Note: Legal status optional.

ps: I have never been married.

skado Level 9 Dec 8, 2017

Yes.

People get married for many reasons and with many intentions and goals. I think all that matters is how the people involved in the relationship define their marriage or the terms of their relationship.

If you are coming directly from the Christian perspective and definition of marriage, then no it is not. But neither would gay or lesbian marriages. An agreement to live in an 'open marriage' shouldn't be treated any differently than any other type of agreement concerning marriage.

I have been in one. Actually, I prefer open relationships as I personally believe that it is possible to love more than one person at a time.

A marriage is merely a contractual partnership so whatever both partners agree to is a marriage.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7156
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.