Agnostic.com

8 18

LINK Texas judge orders banned books returned to library shelves | The Hill

A federal judge in Texas last week ruled that Llano County officials must return more than a dozen books they had banned and removed from the county’s library shelves during 2021.

The preliminary order by U.S. District Judge Robert Pitman also prohibited the county from removing any other books as the court case is pending. The library’s catalog is required to be updated to show county residents that the removed books are once again available.

Pitman’s ruling comes as counties and schools around the country have limited what books can be taught or available to children and teens. Books that discuss gender, sexuality and race in particular have come under political scrutiny as parents and politicians alike argue over what their children should have access to.

In his ruling, Pitman said, “Defendants removed the books at issue to prevent access to viewpoints and content to which they objected.” He added that he does not think the defendants’ reasons for removing the books would “pass constitutional muster.”

According to the court ruling, Llano County Judge Ron Cunningham and Commissioner Jerry Don Moss, who are named as defendants in the case, pushed to have more than a dozen books removed from library shelves in the summer and fall of 2021.

They claimed that a Llano County community group believed the books contained inappropriate content, including promoting “grooming” behavior. The group’s complaints, which increased over the next several months, focused on books that discussed the LGBTQ community and race themes.

In December 2021, the Llano County Commissioner’s Court dissolved the library board to instead appoint others, including other residents who pushed for book removals.

The board then implemented a new policy that required new books to be approved by the board before the library system could purchase the material. Staff librarians and the public were then banned from attending the board’s meetings.

The lawsuit was filed in April last year by patrons of Llano County’s three libraries. The patrons alleged that their First Amendment rights were violated when county and library officials removed the books from the system.

They also argued that their 14th Amendment right to due process was violated because there was no notice posted of the removals and they were not given an opportunity to appeal the board’s decision.

“This is a ringing victory for democracy,” the plaintiffs’ attorney Ellen Leonida said in a statement to the Austin-American Statesman. “The government cannot tell citizens what they can or can’t read. Our nation was founded on the free exchange of ideas, and banning books you disagree with is a direct attack on our most basic liberties.”

The list of books that must be returned to Llano County library shelves are:

“Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents” by Isabel Wilkerson.

“They Called Themselves the K.K.K.: The Birth of an American Terrorist Group” by Susan Campbell Bartoletti.

“Being Jazz: My Life as a (Transgender) Teen” by Jazz Jennings.

“Spinning” by Tillie Walden.

“In the Night Kitchen” by Maurice Sendak.

“It’s Perfectly Normal: Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, Gender and Sexual Health” by Robie H. Harris.

“My Butt is SO NOISY!” “I Broke My Butt!” and “I Need a New Butt!” by Dawn McMillan.

“Larry the Farting Leprechaun,” “Gary the Goose and His Gas on the Loose,” “Freddie the Farting Snowman” and “Harvey the Heart Had Too Many Farts” by Jane Bexley.

“Shine” and “Under the Moon: A Catwoman Tale” by Lauren Myracle.

“Gabi, a Girl in Pieces” by Isabel Quintero.

“Freakboy” by Kristin Elizabeth Clark.

snytiger6 9 Apr 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have issues when interfering assholes try to foist their own ridiculous sensibilities onto other people.

Three cheers for the judge!

Good for that judge for doing right thing. If the cry babies don't want to read those books, they can stick them where the sun don't shine.

Why ruin perfectly good books by doing that with them? 😉

Thank you Judge Pitman. I may not ever read any of these books but others might want to.

My butt is sometimes noisy too... didn't know there was a book.

So is mine. I guess we should all avoid Texas if we're now in likely danger of being jailed or fined for farting and offending anyone...

Apparently several!

Not Freddie the Farting Snowman! Nooooooo! 🤣

Or Larry The Farting Leprechaun...... Have they no shame???

I'm not much of a fan of juvenile fart humor, but I do get a chuckle on how thin-skinned the censors are to have removed, not one, but at least a couple books about farts, butts, etc.. Obviously, some people need to get or buy a life, so they will not have such a compulsive need to control and obsess about other's lives..

Leave it in, everyone farts and to some it's an art form.

I think if a book about farting turns a child onto reading, then it is a very good book indeed.

Thanks to Judge Pitman!

When in reality the one book that has all the elements the christofascist want removed from libraries all over country should be the Bible!!!

The Bible has all the death, murder, incest, fratricidal tendencies, woman abuse, child abuse, perversion, and slavery included in it pages that it is a real horrific set of stories which is a form of child abuse which the clergy use to their advantage!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:717677
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.