Agnostic.com

11 10

LINK Religious jurors punish defendants who don't swear to God to tell the truth

New research suggests non-religious defendants are penalized for taking secular oaths

A defendant who doesn’t swear an oath to God is more likely to be found guilty by a jury composed of people who do. That finding, published this week in The British Journal of Psychology, upends the entire notion of justice under the law and provides a compelling reason for why we ought to get rid of unnecessary religious oaths entirely.

In Britain, as in the United States, witnesses in a trial are told to place a hand on the Bible and say something akin to, “I swear by Almighty God that I will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.” People who aren’t Christian, however, can always offer a secular affirmation. It’s the same idea minus the reference to God. The same rule also applies to members of a jury.

Without going into every detail of the paper, the research conducted by England-based researchers Ryan McKay, Will Gervais, and Colin Davis found that certain people equate a religious oath with credible testimony. Consequently, those people are less likely to trust someone who doesn’t swear to God to tell the truth.

In one experiment, faced with a hypothetical situation, people with no religious affiliation were equally likely to say a defendant was guilty whether that person took a religious oath or secular affirmation. (That’s on the left side of the chart below.) But among people who are religious, they were more likely to deem someone guilty if that person took the secular affirmation option. (That’s on the right.)

While there are all kinds of variables that might play into that discrepancy, the researchers attempted to minimize those effects. They also raised this question:

In 2011, 12,152 defendants were convicted by juries in the Crown Court in England and Wales, while 5757 were acquitted by jury verdict… How many of the 12,152 convicted defendants might have been acquitted if there had been no jurors biased against the affirmation?

They attempted to answer it, too:

… If all convicted defendants had been tried by oath-taking jurors, however, we can estimate… that 5665 of the convicted defendants had chosen the oath and 6487 the affirmation… in which case bias against affirming defendants would have resulted in 822 additional convictions in the space of a single year.

Even if that’s speculation, the idea that anyone could be found guilty because he didn’t play along in some religious ritual should be one too many. The way to fix the bias is to eliminate the oath entirely so everyone’s on an equal playing field.

Humanists UK, which has advocated for the elimination of a courtroom oath, sees two paths forward:

One solution is to abolish the oath entirely and just allow secular affirmation: ‘I solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that the evidence I shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.’

Another is, in addition to requiring everyone to make a secular affirmation, to allow religious people to swear an oath in private in front of court officials who have no connection to the judge or (other) jurors. Some people argue that swearing a religious oath makes religious people more honest. Humanists UK knows of no evidence for that, but this solution should satisfy those who believe this to be true.

The bottom line is that people should never be in more legal jeopardy because they also happen to be non-religious. The idea that someone could be locked up because of unconscious bias is a travesty to justice.

The paper notes that there was a proposal to abolish the oath in England and Wales was floated in 2013, but it was rejected because supporters of the religious oath argued “it strengthens the value of witnesses' evidence.” If that’s true, though, that’s the reason it ought to be abolished. The study concludes:

… Otherwise, non-religious defendants who choose to affirm, rather than “tell a lie” and swear an oath in bad faith, may be taking a risk—“subjecting themselves to a disability”... Ultimately, continued use of the oath may make justice more difficult to obtain for those who are unwilling to swear by a God they do not believe in.

Considering that previous research has shown how people distrust atheists to begin with, there’s no good argument left for keeping the oath in place. At least not if you actually care about justice and equality under the law.

snytiger6 9 Apr 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's sad that some people thinks religion is more important than justice.

I have known (because of my career) THOUSANDS of convicted felons, and by far the vast majority are religious in one form or another. No doubt some got religion in prison, but the law of averages means that many of them believed at the time they committed whatever their crime was. Does that make them more credible? Not in my book.

But I also think it averages out with religious jurors who believe that "eye for an eye" crap and are therefore more likely to believe the accused should go to prison, whatever the evidence in the case. I think believers are so obsessed with their own guilty feelings that they think everybody else is guilty, too.

The Bible bans you from swearing by anything (which must include the Bible and God). I can't remember where it says it, but it's somewhere in the NT. It says something about letting your yes be yes and your no be no. This should be the basis for removing the oath from the courtroom entirely.

Christofascists are always above the law in their delusional demented fantasized minds!!!

These Obstructionist Regressive republican chirstofascist maga death cult members only want for those not within their fantasy reality to be imprisoned and murdered wholesale if they could!!!

Abolish the oath please. It is designed to scare believers into thinking god will do something to them if they lie. That is ALL it was ever about. Just religious nonsense.

Ture, Religion is based on fear.

Effin nutjobbers 😒

Religious people are unfit to serve on juries anyway as they have no loyalty to the truth, and no honor to defend.

I swear to God and swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth.

I want to have sex with that woman in the third row.on the left.

A fool and his/her money are soon parted. The religious juror who punishes a defendant for not swearing to God is also likely to believe the most outlandish and incredible lies from some sanctimonious grifter (e.g. televangelist) with designs on their bank account. So at least there may be a little karmic justice in the end. But still this is no way to run a legal system. It's time to expurgate religion from the courtroom!

You can figure in the fact that believers are naturally less intelligent than non believers so the ritual of swearing to god would be of utmost importance to them, even to finding someone guilty for not agreeing to swear on a bible or to god as well.

"Zuckerman and his colleagues previously conducted a meta-analysis of 63 studies, which found “a reliable negative relation between intelligence and religiosity.” In other words, religious people tend to be less intelligent than non-religious people on average."

[psypost.org]

Good point. The oath really is an anachronism from the Middle Ages, pure superstitious nonsense really.

So true, people who testify will like or tell the truth, based on their own interests and motivations at the time, as well as their own personal ethics and morals. Taking some public oath will have no effect on those issues I stated above. Making someone take the oath has only the legal effect of then being able to hold them accountable under perjury laws later, if the prosecution can prove they lied under oath and knew at the time themselves that they were lying.

In this State (CT) you get 'sworn in' OR affirmed if you prefer, but we are a thoroughly blue state and no biggie thing is made of it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:717838
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.