Agnostic.com

5 5

LINK These are the pro-shunning videos the Jehovah's Witnesses don't want you to see

The religious group removed two videos promoting the cruel practice of disfellowshipping. But not before the clips were saved.

Two videos that were shown to Jehovah’s Witnesses during their 2023 Regional Convention—a three-day event meant to bring together large groups of believers—have apparently been scrubbed from streaming versions of the event. But not before the watchdogs at AvoidJW.org saved copies.

The videos in question are scripted vignettes in which a young JW woman named “Elsa” receives phone calls from her mother, who is depicted as a former JW. That would mean the fictional mother has been “disfellowshipped”—shunned—and her family is no longer allowed to communicate with her. Elsa has to figure out whether to talk to her mother… or avoid her indefinitely.

(Follow article link to view videos that accompany article.)

ELSA’S VOICEOVER: Mom’s disfellowshipping still feels so raw.

VOICEMAIL: Elsa, please pick up. I miss you so much. I just want to hear your voice.

ELSA’S VOICEOVER: It's such a struggle. I miss her. She taught me the truth, gave me a stable life. She was my closest friend. What’s the harm in just calling once in a while? To chat? Maybe I can even help her to come back to Jehovah.

The intended takeaway is clear: Of course it’s hard to cut ties with those who have left the fold, but the Jehovah’s Witnesses demand it of their members. Elsa just needs to overcome the temptation to talk to her mom.

In the second video, Elsa, sitting in a Kingdom Hall, comes to terms with cutting her mother out of her life and realizes it won’t be so bad. After all, she’s got everything she needs within her religious community.

SPEAKER: Abel was essentially a spiritual orphan. But regardless of what his parents chose, he listened to Jehovah and patiently waited on Him to fulfill His promises.

ELSA’S VOICEOVER: I never thought of it that way. What has Jehovah promised me if I patiently wait? [She looks around.] Spiritual Brothers… sisters... and mothers.

[Elsa receives another phone call from her mother. This time, she confidently ignores it.]

ELSA’S VOICEOVER: If I focus on what I do have and wait patiently, someday, what I don’t have may even come back to Jehovah.

The implication is that the other mothers in her congregation will just take the place of her biological mom (who is bizarrely referred to as a “what” and not a “who&rdquo😉.

The two videos were shown during a portion of the 2023 Regional Conference called “Better to Be Patient Than to Be Haughty in Spirit” in a segment urging members to “Imitate Abel, Not Adam.” The person delivering that talk, Corey Wadlington, spoke about the benefits of shunning people who have been disfellowshipped, albeit in somewhat nicer language than the blunt approach seen in the two vignettes.

How cruel is that practice? The Detroit Free Press published an article in 2018 documenting what it’s like for victims:

Shunning "can lead to great trauma among people because the Jehovah's Witnesses are a very tight-knit community," said Mathew Schmalz, a religious studies associate professor at the College of Holy Cross in Worcester, Mass.

"If you're separated out, you're really left to your own devices in ways that are very challenging and very painful," Schmalz said. "Once you leave a group that's been your whole life — letting that go is a kind of <strong>death</strong>."

…

An estimated 70,000 Jehovah’s Witnesses are disfellowshipped every year — roughly 1% of the church’s total population, according to data published by the Watchtower. Their names are published at local Kingdom Halls. Of those, two-thirds never return. 

It really is treated by JWs as a form of “tough love”—the best way to get fallen believers back into the fold. If ex-JWs are so desperate to regain contact with their families, all they have to do is embrace the faith once again. We’re avoiding you because we love you.

That’s also the same justification evangelicals have used when promoting “conversion therapy” or supporting discrimination against LGBTQ people. It’s always in the name of love. Even though the fact that that’s a lie is so painfully obvious to everyone outside the bubble.

Disfellowshipping is also a sign of the religion’s weakness. It sends the message that critical thinking will never be enough to bring someone back to Jehovah—they won’t come back on their own. They have to be emotionally manipulated.

There is a theory as to why these videos were removed from the presentation.

Recently, British celebrity Rebekah Vardy, wife of soccer star Jamie Vardy, has been in the spotlight for speaking out against the JWs in a documentary, saying sexual abuse she endured as a child was dismissed by JW elders and that she was disfellowshipped after leaving the organization at the age of 15.

Some ex-JWs are speculating that the two videos were removed from all streaming versions of the Regional Conference in direct response to Vardy’s documentary and the subsequent interest in the JW practice of disfellowshipping. (They point out that each segment in the “Haughty” part of the conference is 12 minutes long, each with two scripted videos, except for the one that included these two videos, which is now only 9 minutes long.)

Remember that Norway recently rescinded the "religious community" status of the Jehovah's Witnesses in large part because of their practice of disfellowshipping.

AvoidJW.org notes that, whatever the reason for the videos being removed, the organization isn’t publicizing it:

While the reasons for the removal of these new videos is still a matter of speculation, it seems evident that it was done hastily, with the vast majority of Jehovah’s Witnesses unaware of what has taken place. The videos provide very powerful visual evidence of the practice of shunning, and the expectations placed upon any Witness with a disfellowshipped relative.

If the secrecy was because the Jehovah’s Witnesses are no longer shunning people and these videos were a big mistake, that would be fantastic. But the reality is that the practice isn’t going anywhere; it’s the negative publicity they’re worried about.

Better to lie low and not draw more attention to disfellowshipping than give people another reason to despise the organization, right?

Still, the not-so-subtle removals say a lot about how this religion works.

Side note: The two videos of Elsa were uploaded to YouTube by ExJWCaleb, and they create an interesting predicament: Will the JWs file takedown notices to have them removed? If they do, they would essentially be admitting these videos are theirs…

snytiger6 9 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Shunning serves only one purpose, to silence dissenting voices.
If you cannot shut people up, make it a sin to listen to them.

I’d be glad the nutter wasn’t speaking to me. At the same time I would feel responsible for poisoning her mind….👀

No different than the Amish. They shun members who stray from the rules of the faith without begging for forgiveness. You can be a child molester and as long as you prostrate yourself and beg your congregation for forgiveness, you will have no real punishment. But take classes to be certified as an EMT or nurse, and you will no longer be allowed to sit at the family table or live in their home.

But they look so cute with those hats and burlap clothing (or whatever it is). Always churning butter or sweeping (chuckle). Just don't look at those famous turned down lips and pinched brow. The cute hats are supposed to hide those.

Back where I am from, Southern Lancaster County, I occasionally drank at a little bar in the country side. One of the old regulars was ex Amish and would occasionally talk about his only regret in "going English," the lose of family members. He said that he would still attend funerals and while no one seemed thrilled to have him there, everyone was polite.

The JW's will shun you. Scientology is worse. What did Jehover promise you? Now let's see. Take the unpronounceable name of god and throw American vowels in it, then use that word in every second sentence.A, e, i, o, and You.

Tom Cruise refuses a relationship with his child Suri because Katie fled from him and the cult.

And Bella and Conner to no contact with Nicole because they chose daddie's cult over their mother.

@BufftonBeotch Our species is goofy. I boycott Cruise (both the political and Hollywood creation) and don't even watch his shit on someone else's TV. I tell them why, as well. Most of them laugh at my childishness or agree but can't miss another great movie stunt so I walk away SMH. He has done some great work (i.e., Rainman and Color Of Money) with great actors so that's sometimes a shame but I've seen those movies before being told of his evil. Hold people accountable or stop whining. I've been trying to do the first of those for 60 years and it hasn't worked.

Yes. I have known JW people disfellowshipped. Many times it is their own family who refuse to speak to them. Absolute mark of a cult. Leave and we will cut you off from everyone
Even the Amish are not this severe against people that leave as families can still have relationships.

Amish are accepted by their families only if they leave before they are baptized into the faith. Any breech of the rules after baptism and you get shunned by your family and the community you have lived in.

@Barnie2years It is intriguing that they give an entire year for teens to try on all modern life. They must also fund this year for these young adults.
Amish can have quite a lot of cash.

@BufftonBeotch The kids are done school after 8th grade. They often start working both on the farms and off. They can make good money and still live at home, so not many expenses. They generally don’t have to commit to baptism until their early twenties or when the decide to get married, which is generally around that age. Until that time, they can have cars and trucks (drivers licenses), parties with booze, cell phones, etc. The parents for the most part turn a blind eye, even whe it is quite obvious. But once they decide to join the order, and most do, they are required to give all that up. Even a simple thing like competitive baseball or ice hockey (they don’t believe in competition). Then settle down and raise a family, practice the rules of their faith and follow the decrees of their local bishop.

@Barnie2years I can't imagine such a limited life. But if it is all you know?
and such a limited education and knowledge of the world.
But, I'd think the boys would have excellent carpentry skills. And a girl would probably have exceptional homemaking and culinary skills. Even with a limited 8th grade education they would be very employable if they had the confidence to walk away.

@BufftonBeotch Many of those who do leave before baptism are quite successful business people, and do very well for themselves. I had several very good friends who were ex Amish, had left the order and remained in good standing in their community. And many Amish are quite successful both at farming and in building trades as well as furniture production, and other businesses, that despite the limitations and lifestyle the church demands of them. They are really quite entrepreneurial and hard working. They just dress funny, ride in horse drawn buggies and shun the use of most modern technology, with certain limited exceptions.

@Barnie2years I do not see them as good people automatically. They are biggest people with puppy mills for one thing.

@Barnie2years Depends on the family and mostly on the Bishop's rules. I lived among the Amish much of my life - some will still keep contact and some won't. I met a kid, 22, who was being pressured to return to the flock and end his ongoing Rumspringer. His comment was quite telling. He said, "It's going to take a hell of a woman for me to give up my 750 Kawasaki."

@BufftonBeotch They are not saints by any stretch of the imagination! They have pedophiles, spousal abuse, and all the other problems any other group has, they just do a better job of hiding it from the public most of the time.

@Barnie2years No better or worse than any other humans. I am really bothered by the puppy mills.

@Beowulfsfriend And those Amish women generally have those child bearing hips and thick torsos, and otherwise look 40 by 16.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:725343
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.