Agnostic.com

5 12

LINK Six questions we should ask ourselves | Nebraska Examiner

08/11/2023

By Jay Jackson

A few weeks back I came across some alarming data from a group called More in Common, a nonprofit whose core mission is identifying and overcoming “the underlying drivers of fracturing and polarization” in our communities. In a 2019 study they call the “Perception Gap,” More in Common explored Americans’ distorted understanding of those on the other side of the political aisle.

The results were startling. Democrats overestimate the percentage of Republicans who believe “properly controlled immigration can be good for America” by about 35%. Republicans overestimate the percentage of Democrats who believe “most police are bad people” by about the same margin. Meanwhile, Democrats underestimate the percentage of Republicans who believe “racism still exists in America” by about 30%, and Republicans underestimate the percentage of Democrats who believe “I am proud to be an American, though I acknowledge my country’s flaws” by about 25%.

How can we possibly find common ground when we so poorly understand each other’s political views? Other than building actual relationships with folks who see the world differently than we do, the most important thing might be for us to better understand ourselves.

Consider someone who once participated in a vile crusade and came to understand a better path: political activist Megan Phelps-Roper, who grew up and later served as spokesperson for the Westboro Baptist Church. (Yes, that Westboro Baptist Church, the one that would shout unspeakable homophobic slurs at service members’ funerals in the 2000s. Remember them?)

Phelps-Roper left Westboro Baptist and has since engaged in some very public and very vulnerable soul-searching, a windfall for the rest of us. Phelps-Roper’s speaking and writing encourages us to maintain a healthy skepticism of views we might hold confidently, if mistakenly. Here are six questions she now asks herself when considering difficult matters:

Am I capable of entertaining real doubt about my beliefs, or am I operating from a place of certainty?

Can I articulate the evidence I would need to see in order to change my position, or is my perspective unfalsifiable?

Can I articulate my opponent’s position in a way they’d recognize, or am I straw-manning?
Am I attacking ideas or attacking the people who

Am I willing to use extraordinary means against people who disagree with me (e.g., forcing people out of their jobs or homes, violence/threats of violence, celebrating misfortune and tragedy)?

To be sure, we may end up at the same place we started, but this kind of self-examination is vital to ensure we are not so blinded by our own self-righteousness that we fail to fully and charitably examine difficult or complex issues.

The subtitle of Phelps-Roper’s memoir, by the way, is called “Unfollow: A Journey from Hatred to Hope.” Right now, that’s a journey we can all embrace.(Jay Jackson is an Omaha attorney and author of "Decent Discourse: Saving Your Country by Loving Your (Wrong?) Neighbor." He received his law degree from George Mason University School of Law and a master of laws in international law from George Washington University Law School. Prior to settling down in Nebraska, Jay served on active duty in the U.S. Air Force for 14 years.)

(Jay Jackson is an Omaha attorney and author of "Decent Discourse: Saving Your Country by Loving Your (Wrong?) Neighbor." He received his law degree from George Mason University School of Law and a master of laws in international law from George Washington University Law School. Prior to settling down in Nebraska, Jay served on active duty in the U.S. Air Force for 14 years.)

HippieChick58 9 Aug 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The results of this survey help Jack in the Box better understand the preferences and levels of satisfaction of its customers with the food's quality.
[visit here JackListens.com Survey ][jacklistensus.pro]

The police as good or bad issue might just be a matter of definition. I think that murdering an African-American is bad. From the prosecution point of view Res seem to think that it is good. Of course there will be a difference on the score. The same definitional conflict applies to many socially important issues.

I never assume anything about the perspective of others. As a child, I was taught to deal with individuals based on their own actions and statements, rather than any group stereotype. This was the greatest gift my mother gave to her children.

I continue to try and educate people I know who are on the far right. Sadly for 2 that I know it's just not possible, they will not watch or listen to fox, newsmax or right wing talk radio.
All they hear or see from those sources is vitriol and hate, when reading or listening to just the actual facts both have stated it's too far left. YIKEs!! When just the facts seem too left there's no hope of getting through.
I will keep trying.

You are a brave man ... you are confronted by adversaries armed with "alternative facts".

MAGAs are impervious to facts. Facts just make them mad. Their minds are destroyed and they'll never be back.

@BitFlipper You can't destroy what never existed.

@silverotter11 How much success have you had in “educating” others? I do not believe it possible to achieve your mission.
@BitFlipper your sweeping generalization is questionable.

“Why Is It So Hard To Change People’s Minds?”: [greatergood.berkeley.edu]

@KateOahu Well, not much. BUT I'd rather go down trying than to have regreted not sayin' something.
One person I started following during the COVID pandemic was Heather Cox Richardson. A history professor who specializes in the history of the republican party. Understanding where we came from has been a great help in relieving the confusion I think we all had to some degree over how the hell did trump get into the WH. AH, The Long and Winding Road. ☺️

@silverotter11 I’m very familiar with Dr. Richardson and frequently share her essays on my fb page. That is “my” non-confrontational way of trying to put fact out there for those who might be open to reason. I doubt many bother to read them.

I hold that anybody who refuses to examine and make explicit to other people the bases for the positions that he or she holds is guilty of a prejudice. In other words, what evidence does such a person have for their claims? (Any comments, @Betty?)

I posted this in General and Hellos but I'll put it here also. A bit of history on our problem with racism in the U.S.
How the past is repeated in the present.
[cafe.com]

A child is abused and bullied by a teacher. The child reports it to their parent. The teacher denies it. No evidence so the child is branded a liar.
Is the child guilty of prejudice for not having evidence?

@Betty Certainly not in that case, and thank you for prodding my grey cell. I was speaking of mature adults, not defenceless people of whatever age.

@anglophone Even mature adults can be caught in situations where they can not supply evidence. Sometimes you have to go by trust and the knowledge you have of that person.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:727736
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.