Agnostic.com

20 10

Must see in DC?

In between NYC and WV I have one day in DC to see sights... I have things I think I want to see but would love input from people of things they loved or things that were awesome there. (I'm not interested in going to the White House)

pepperjones 8 May 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Ooooooo!!!!!" Don't forget to hang out at the Smithsonian Museum where all the exhibits comes to life at midnight!!!!!!!

Anyone of the Smithsonian Institutes would be AWESOME!!!!!!! My second cousin William Stolpin has a painting hung on display at the Air and Space Smithsonian Museum, "?&?"

@pepperjones Well the painting is a painting of Christopher Columbus' three sailing ships: The Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria sailing out into space floating towards the moon---"? . . . ⛵⛵⛵ ? "The painting is about how the space age began when Christopher Columbus set sail across the Atlantic Ocean.

Who would with that dumb ass in office.

Holocaust Memorial
100 Raoul Wallenberg Place, SW
Washington, DC 20024-2126

CS60 Level 7 May 3, 2018

Smithsonian air and space museum and the natural history museum.

I had one day a few years back and I had to pretty much run through the Smithsonian. Still worth it

@pepperjones The Lincoln Memorial is great but you probably have time for both.

The Wall Vietnam memorial is literally breathtaking: could not speak. Smithsonian Museum of Natural History was great, too. Have fun!

Vietnam Memorial....nobody who advocates war should avoid being chained to it for 24 hours, and if they haven't changed their mind after that, shoot them. SO moving!

If you're into art, the National Gallery is amazing.

Are you going to be there after dark at all?

If so a drive around view of all the buildings and monuments is a must. With only a day I would do the Lincoln memorial. There s no way to convey through images the impact it was to stand in front of him.
On that theme, maybe the Ford Theater and the Petersen house, across the street, where he died

If you have time, I would try to do museum or museums. The Civil rights museum would be great, but I'm not sure if there is still a waiting list for that.

I want to see this one below the next time I visit. But the established Smithsonian museums are all great too

[newseum.org]

@pepperjones Actually African American History museum

[nmaahc.si.edu]

@pepperjones A bit more trivia about Lincoln.
John Wilkes Booth's brother Edwin (who was also a very successful stage actor) saved the life of Lincoln's son Robert at some point before the assassination.

[todayifoundout.com]

That's not enough time to see just the Smithsonian. Find a way to extend your stay.

JimG Level 8 May 3, 2018

@pepperjones that's better than nothing any way.

@pepperjones
Mind if I ask where you are headed to in WV?

Pick your favorite museum(s).

If you don't mind me being nosy, where are you going in WV? I live here and am curious, since we don't get that many from other places.

@pepperjones I'm clear on the other side of the state. Have a good trip!

So many museums, so little time.

Smithsonian is worth visiting-many museums.

Besides the AMAZING DC Air and Space Museum, there's a relatively new one near Dulles Airport for the bigger things that needed an airport to bring in... like a space shuttle. No parking or traffic hassles either! I've not yet been, but looking forward to doing so. What are you doing on your NYC and WV trip?

The Hamilton restaurant.

If it is only one day then I would say walk from the Lincoln memorial towards congress, then you will see where the good stuff in between is located, so you can plan a much better visit for another time. Parking is insane everywhere, you'll be better off if you don't have a car. Plenty of stuff to discover !!!

The national botanic garden is underrated. Arlington it's very sobering, but takes a while if you want to see the changing of the guard and Lee's house. Is close to the Lincoln memorial. Smithsonian air and space museum, and natural history museum of you want to stay close to that area. Lots of good Ethiopian restaurants. All kinds of art museums. The Vietnam memorial too. The Capitol to it's also an eye opener. Argh, too many good things.

@pepperjones They have a corpse plant that was in bloom last time I was there! And a bunch of bonsai!

i liked the air and space museum.. also lincoln memorial is nice - there are a few more in same area.

If it were me, I'd definitely go to the Air & Space Museum! 😀

@pepperjones yes you can't go wrong going to either....there is a lot to se there. when i was a kid (14), i spent all day at the museum. if you could get to george washingtons's house, that is also very cool. they have a display of his wooden dentures that i remember very well as being kinda strange but cool. and it's right on the Patomac

@pepperjones some are original - over 200yrs old...Washington died in 1797... maybe the coolest thing about the mansion is that it's not brick or block like it looks... it's like a masonry textured wood.....sorta like grout smeared on wood.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:72842
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.