Agnostic.com

11 16

Bears, cougar, wolves and rattlesnakes. Which animal am I afraid of? Dogs.

While hiking and snowshoeing, I have been attacked by eight unleashed dogs where dogs were required to be leashed. It's terrifying. It took six months for my knee ligament to heal after one dog attack. None of the dog owners apologized. They were far below.

With aggressive dogs now I briskly whisk my hiking poles back-and-forth with the points crossing at my feet. It works. Dogs back off. "Stop waving your poles!" an idiot woman yelled. "You will poke out his eyes!"

"That's the point!" I replied cheerfully. "Grab your dog's collar! He is required to be on a leash!" She did nothing.

The Pacific rattlesnake is non-aggressive. Just don't step on one. We have seen wolf tracks in the snow. What a thrill!

Of course there are bear and cougar. The last time I saw a bear or cougar was at age 22 in Olympic National Park. We see sign of cougar and bears. A stump torn apart by big claws? A bear was looking for insects to eat.

In a high meadow we came upon a huge, fresh pile of bear poop. "Let's be loud to let the bear know we are here," I suggested. I promptly led the rousing camp song, "The Bear in Tennis Shoes."

Karen and I see and smell signs of cougar quite often. Cougars are extremely elusive. They are watching us. That's one reason why I never hike along.

Cougars mark their territory with their spray, poop and pee. All in one place. Yuck! Stinks like cat litter x 20.

After driving to a trailhead, I nearly stepped from my car into glistening viscera of a freshly killed deer. Cougar disembowel their prey. They don't like eating the guts. A bright blood trail led over the cliff and down into a gully. A cougar had dragged the deer down there to hide it. Karen spotted the deer carcass below.

While hiking, we came upon a bloody deer leg on the trail surrounded by fresh coyote scat. "Looks like a cougar killed a deer and coyotes stole the leg," I said. "The cougar probably wants its deer leg back and is watching us right now. Let's get out of here!"

We skedaddled.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Bears and me understand one another. It's alligators I don't trust!

I am not really afraid of any of those animals, that is until I will meet one eye to eye. Then I may just poop my pants.

@Jolanta

Bear encounter

Rounding a corner on a hillside in Olympic National Park, I surprised a black bear eating berries. He stood up. We both froze, looking at each other. Then we turned tail and ran in opposite directions.

Why do animals always run in the direction I want to go?

At age 24, I backpacked to Flapjack Lakes with two guys in Olympic National Park. When we arrived, the lake was crowded. We quickly put up the tent and shoved our heavy packs into it. I loaded a rucksack with food, jacket, frisbee and grabbed my dad's old Super 8 movie camera. Up we climbed on the slopes of Mt. Gladys. Heavy snow that year.

I ran ahead on the snow crust while the guys broke through.

Where's my ice axe when I need it?

A white wall of snow loomed ahead. "I wonder what I can see from the top," I thought. I ran up that wall, kicking steps in the ice as I went. A taller white wall loomed. Up again. Halfway up the third white wall, I heard "Kathleen! STOP!"

Turning, I couldn't get down. It was too steep and I had no brake (ice axe). I sat down on the frisbee I was holding in my hand. Hollered "Catch me!" and pushed off. Steering with my boots, I shot down three steep, icy hills. If the guys hadn't tackled me, I would have shot down the river into the Hood Canal.

"You could have been killed!" the guys yelled. I ran ahead to get away from their complaining.

Stalked by two cougars

Suddenly my attention was caught by a giant, tawny cat. It leaped 15 feet atop a boulder. It was a cougar. He was magnificent: a few hundred pounds of solid muscle, his tawny coat gleaming in the sun. The cougar was less than a quarter mile below me in a small meadow. I began filming.

The cougar jumped down, walked across the snow, stopped in the shadow of the river, and I couldn't see it. It walked toward me, froze in a patch of yellow flowers, and I couldn't see it. By then, the guys had arrived at my side. The cougar was heading up the hill toward us. We yelled and threw down rocks. It didn't stop. Suddenly it was joined by another cougar on the side. The two cats relentlessly headed uphill toward us.

"Put the camera away! We're leaving." We hurried down to the lake, staying close with me in the middle. Giant boulders overhead. A big cat could have easily jumped down on us.

We hurried down to Flapjack Lake. People. Safety in numbers. But was Sunday evening and everyone had gone home. Nobody went outside to pee that night.

The next day, we excitedly told the ranger at Staircase Ranger Station. He was amazed. Over 14 years, he had never seen a cougar although he saw their footprints. "Cougar follow the deer that were driven down by heavy snow this year," he said.

@LiterateHiker Wow, and you still insist on hiking. Why can't you just buy the video?

@Jolanta

Hiking is a transcendent, uplifting experience to me.

"Japanese researchers found that people who spend 40 minutes walking in a cedar forest, had lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol, which is involved in blood pressure and immune-system function, compared when they spent 40 minutes walking in a lab.

Another researcher, Dr. Quing Li, a professor at the Nippon Medical School in Tokyo, found that trees and plants emit aromatic compounds called phytoncides that, when inhaled, can spur healthy biological changes. Li has shown that when people walk through or stay overnight in forests, they often exhibit changes in the blood that are associated with protection against cancer, better immunity and lower blood pressure.

Recent studies have also linked nature to symptom relief for health issues like heart disease, depression, cancer, anxiety and attention disorders."

From "The Healing Power of Nature," Time magazine, July 25, 2016.

@LiterateHiker I wonder if the same applies to lots and lots of indoor plants?

@Jolanta

Although indoor plants add oxygen to the air, they don't have the healing properties of walking through forests.

Trees and plants emit aromatic compounds called phytoncides that, when inhaled, can spur healthy biological changes. Li has shown that when people walk through or stay overnight in forests, they often exhibit changes in the blood that are associated with protection against cancer, better immunity and lower blood pressure.

In Japan and Canada, doctors prescribe "Forest Bathing"- walking through forests- for patients with cancer, heart disease, depression, insomnia, sleep problems, anxiety, stress, attention difficulty, and other conditions.

Japanese doctors consider "Forest Bathing" preventative medicine.

@LiterateHiker After the 2003 fires here in Canberra, the government established an arboretum. It is just lovely. All kinds of trees from all over the world. I so enjoy going there. Just when I drive close to it makes my heart feel happy.

My late partner was almost fearless. The only things she feared were slippery roads and dogs off lease on hiking trails. She didn't hesitate and would tell the owners just how she felt. At the Anacortes main ferry terminal is a wide beach with a wonderful beach/board walk. We would often arrive early and do the walk but this became a fearful time for me. She was all of 5'0" (the zero had to be there) and weighed a hefty 100 lbs. Every time a dog was not on leash the owner would get a tongue lashing from her. She also complimented these that obeyed the law which often turned into a long discussion. Many dog owners say the scofflaws that flaunt the law gives all dog owners a bad name. One big older guy once emerged from the woods and, of course, his big dog was not on a lease and she shouted he needed to get his dog on leash, now! He asked, and just who are you and she said a concerned citizen. He replied Okay and pretended to lease his dog (but I saw he didn't but she turned around and walked on. Later, when we were returning I saw this guy eyeing the beach and his, of course non-leashed dog was sitting behind him. I heard him say, Uh oh and turn around to not give her any eye contact. We were conversing so she didn't see what was gong on. Whew, I breathed a sigh of relief. Another problem are dog owners that clean up after their pet but leave the bags beside the road. Does owning a dog affect some people's minds!?

@jackjr

Descending hiking trails, I routinely pick up litter but refuse to touch plastic bags of dog poop broiling in the sun. (I eat with my hands.) What do these selfish dog owners think? A Poop Fairy will magically swoop down and clean up after them?

Butt wipes are another problem. People bury them. Animals dig up butt wipes and they blow around in the wind. I refuse to touch them. There's nothing like hiking to a high alpine meadow to find it littered with poopy butt wipes. Disgusting and appalling.

I pack out my human waste and used toilet paper. It's not hard.

@LiterateHiker A German study found owning a gun does change some people's thinking about guns. It seems this is also true for people with dogs. The bigger the dog the more the mind change.

Sad story.
Rattlers are probably the most predictable and I have seen many of them in the mountains above Osoyoos.
However, I’ve never met a dog that didn’t come up to me and say “hi”, in gestures of course. Even street dogs in Egypt…and not because they were looking for treats.

I’m afraid of all of them…in certain circumstances. And I’ve had many dogs over my adult life. I am slightly allergic to cats and dislike dogs who are not properly trained.

I dislike the owners of those dogs who do not train them.

What a story !
Do u have any pets , dogs or cats ??

@Pralina1

I grew up on a lake with two Labrador retrievers. Lady (95 lbs.) won the Michigan State Dog Obedience Championship twice. Trained by my mother.

Photo shows Lady with me and my siblings. I'm third from the left.

Lady was smart, sweet and gentle. Never heard her growl. Not a barker. Mom let Lady outside with a sign around her neck, "Please don't feed me." Neighbors loved Lady.

Now I live in a place where pets are not allowed. I don't want the responsibility. No barking dogs, yowling cats or animal poop. Perfect.

@LiterateHiker cute pic !
Did u had any cats or dogs b4 u moved in this place and after u moved out from parents ??

@Pralina1

I loathe cats and am allergic to their dander.

I love a clean, organized home. Don't want pet hair or dirt dragged in. My home has been shoes-off for decades.

@LiterateHiker a clean home is nice

You are brave and that is awesome. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Oct 11, 2023

@Betty

Thank you.

Awe...it's a friendly giant kitty cat. 🙂

I live in a large metro area, heavily populated, so there are many dogs. They are required to be on a leash in public. 25-30% of dog owners have to hold their dogs back when someone walks by. I have literally seen dog owners stand still with a smirk on their face as their dogs go berserk on the end of a leash, snapping at passers by. It seems to be a status thing for young males in their 20s or 30s to own a Pit Bull. No further comment necessary. Some stores are no longer allowing ESA because, surprise, they are not really ESA and they cannot be trusted.

Of course none of this equates to encountering a threatening dog in the wild, with little support or the owner nowhere within a few hundred yards, but I empathize. And the majority of dogs are friendly, harmless and affectionate.

I blame the owners. The dog's behavior reflects how they are treated and trained. Hitler had German shepherds/Alsatians. He made the point that he would feed them so that they would be docile and obedient to him, yet still a symbol of aggression. Thus most aggressive dogs are the same towards their owners, but retain their nature and how they act to others.

@Switchcraft

What does ESA stand for? Emotional support animals?

@LiterateHiker Yes.

Hitler was a vegetarian and some dog owners do feed their dogs vegetarian food. Unfortunately, cats need a certain item that can only be found in meat. I once met an owner of a large German Shepherd who only fed his pet vegetarian food. We asked if he was also vegetarian but he said not but only wanted the best for his dog. Seemed strange.

You are quite right to fear and prepare for dog attack. A local vet was nearly killed by dogs as she was out for a walk a few years ago. She was so traumatized that she had to change her practice and now only treats cats. Her story is just one of many I have heard. When I'm out riding my mountain bike, I always wear leather work gloves and carry a sharp sheath knife on my belt.

Adventures in the hinterland! When we lived in Washington and took the girls hiking we'd give them whistles to use if they got lost and encouraged them to make lots of noise. We didn't want to surprise any critters.

When we came back to AZ from the NW I worked for a company that made animal tracking collars. When Wild Kingdom darted some animal so they could strap a radio around its neck, we probably made the radio.

We dealt with a lot of bear researchers and they all had two things in common -- they all wore bells so the animals could hear them coming and they all carried shotguns. The guns weren't to shoot at the bears but rather the guns were the loudest, most violent noise makers they knew.

Wild animals are almost always inoffensive as long as you don't surprise them. It's the animals that have learned to have expectations of people that are dangerous.

On a related note... I heard a story once about a group trying to relocate a problem bear up near Wyoming or Montana or somewhere. They trapped the bear and took it out to release and a local TV news crew decided to come along to film.
The clown reporter thought it would make a good image if he stood on the culvert trap and released the bear himself so he asked permission.
But he didn't realize that bears most always do the same thing when released -- they turn around and belt the trap with their paw. It knocked the reporter off onto the ground right in front of the bear.
They ended up having to put the bear down to protect the newscaster on live TV.

It's when people get involved and don't think things all the way through that problems arise. Animals often don't understand the consequences of their actions and put themselves and others at risk. It's up to their owners to keep them under control for everyone's safety.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:733603
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.