Agnostic.com

3 2

The issue that could save America from fascism in 2024.

Flyingsaucesir 8 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It’s easy to understand why the abortion access question has done well on the special ballot initiatives because a majority of Americans support abortion access. I just don’t see it being a big issue in a national election, most will vote on economic issues there.

Some argue that it played a big part in reducing an expected red wave in 2022 down to a ripple.

How? Vote Biden and you'll get a pro-abortion law on the federal level?
Why didn't the Dems pass such a law when they had the majority in Congress under Obama?

Every president has only so much political capital, and Obama spent his on saving the economy from the worst recession since the Great Depression, and covering the most uninsured people with health insurance since LBJ signed Medicare into law.

Will a future Democratic administration sign an abortion rights bill into law some day? Maybe. But right now there are bigger fish to fry: protecting voting rights, outlawing gerrymandering, getting rid of the electoral college, investing in green energy, adapting to ever more severe effects of climate change, fighting off creeping authoritarianism, banning assault rifles, etc., etc.

@Flyingsaucesir Not sure which is "the bigger fish to fry", as our daughter's body autonomy is pretty damn big. What other controls of one's physicality may be in the future remains a looming question.

@Mooolah I didn't mean to diminish the importance of bodily autonomy. It's just that, with a few egregious exceptions, the states are protecting abortion rights. Even some red states. And Democrats are successfully using it as a wedge issue. Will it be enough to overcome gerrymandering and voter suppression? That I cannot say.

[politico.com]

We live in "interesting" times, and I'm kinda tired of it.

Following current events is now a full-time job 😂

@Flyingsaucesir OMG yes!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:736706
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.