Agnostic.com

9 8

LINK Bizarre Things People Really Believed 50 Years Ago - YouTube

Wow... Just wow. I can remember the late 1960's, but being a kid, and a male raised in the Mormon church, I really didn't catch on to just how inequal things really were.

snytiger6 9 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Remember the Xray machine for one's feet in the shoe store? Then there is "hahaha. Women don't tend bar." Then too I was reprimanded in school & as a phone operator for wearing culottes.

Yep, I was a kid and it’s how I got my being difficult and black sheep status because I’d always say that’s not fair, that’s stupid, why is that okay when it’s wrong?

Oh, I am so disappointed. I was so hopping to shift that fat on my butt.

Reduce your portion sized by about 20% and take long walks.

When my oldest brother died and I went to the funeral, I discovered I barely fit into my suit. When I got home, I reduced my meal portions by 20-25%, and started going back to the gym 2-3 times a week, and lost 15 pounds over about six months. I had let myself go when the gyms closed for the pandemic, and only just started going back at the end of last June, or beginning of July. It's amazing how making just a few minor changes can make a big difference over time.

@snytiger6 True, but, oh it is so difficult to reduce the portions I find.

So much bullshit, for so many years...

I confess that I have one of those useless machines. With a stomach rupture and back pain I bought a belt massager. My doctor said that will not do you a bit of good. I told her I begged to differ. it will gently massage me in stomach and back areas bringing in fresh blood flow and maybe help me manage pain. She never said another word. I think she really believed I was trying to shake off some pounds. That part is a myth.

Ridiculous.

50 years ago I believed in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, how effin crazy is that!!?!! 🤠

I was a young adult then.....with a young child.
Divorced from an abusive asshat, at 23 I had to have my Father co-sign for an $800 very used car as women had no credit...I guess getting to work wasn't going to be important?
One of those jobs was a Go-Go dancer, lol!!!!!!

Thanks to you generation mine had it so much better, sorry you had to fight so hard for against so many idiots.

Only a couple of years ago, my mid twenties aged niece went with my sister to pick up her new Mazda car that she had bought.

At the car yard, the sales rep asked if she needed any help. She pointed out what she thought was her car and said that she had come in to pick it up. The salesman said that it wasn’t hers, clearly assumed that she was too young to be able to afford the car. Neice politely repeated that it was her new car, still no change of attitude.

My niece had worked hard (She’s a midwife) for a couple of years after graduation to save up the deposit and negotiate a sweet repayment deal for the vehicle, which was also going to be used for client visits..

My sister was understandably furious. She didn’t say anything as she didn’t want to derail the purchase process as it wasn’t over the line.

Unfortunately, bias still exists.

Yeah, many people find it hard to believe that as late as the 1970's a woman could not get credit without the signature of a husband or father. For some institutions it took until the late 1980's for women to be granted credit in the same way men were/are.

@snytiger6 ME!

@snytiger6 New Zealand is the first country that gave women the right to vote in 1893.

To almost the day she died my Mother in law always served dinner to her husband and myself first and we always got larger portions than the women.
When I insisted on doing the washing up after being a guest, my father in law took me aside and told me to stop giving his wife "silly ideas" and ordered my younger sister in law to do it instead.

My mother had one of those daft jiggling belts, you could hear it running all over the house and even in the garden. My Dad bought it for her for Xmas one year, he got it second hand from my godfather, whose wife had basically thrown it at him in anger.

The guy in the second coffee commercial is Paul Lynde, the voice of many cartoon characters, and uncle Arthur in Bewitched he came out as gay shortly before his death. Seth McFarland uses an impression of his voice for Roger the Alien in American Dad.

Paul Lynde was also Mr. McAffee in the movie "Bye, Bye Birdie". Most people who remember him, do so as the center square on Hollywood Squares. He was consistently a funny man.

Paul was indeed hilarious!! He might as well had come out when he was young, not like we didn’t know he was gay…..☺️

@Aaron70 as with his contemporary Charles Nelson Reilly, complicity in their open "secret" was a part of their comic charm and our admiration and love for them.

@LenHazell53 Indeed, I had almost forgot about Charles, lol….😆

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:741831
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.