Agnostic.com

9 11

LINK Is Raising Your Kids Without Religion Better?

Is Raising Your Kids Without Religion Better?

by Catie Keck
Feb. 4, 2015

Gone are the days of the unyielding God-fearing mother as the archetype of good parenting, suggests a recent article from the Los Angeles Times. According to multiple reports, research has shown that a secular upbringing may be healthier for children. According to a 2010 Duke University study, kids raised this way display less susceptibility to racism and peer pressure, and are “less vengeful, less nationalistic, less militaristic, less authoritarian, and more tolerant, on average, than religious adults.” But the list of benefits doesn’t stop there.

Citing Pew Research, the Times’ Phil Zuckerman notes that there’s been a recent spike in American households who categorize themselves as "Nones" — their religious affiliation being “nothing in particular.” According to Zuckerman, modern nonreligious adults account for 23 percent of Americans. As early as the ’50s, that figure was only four percent. And with godlessness on the rise, researchers have begun analyzing the benefits of nonreligious child rearing more closely.

“Far from being dysfunctional, nihilistic and rudderless without the security and rectitude of religion,” writes Zuckerman, “secular households provide a sound and solid foundation for children, according to Vern Bengston, a USC professor of gerontology and sociology.” Bengston oversees the Longitudinal Study of Generations, the largest study of families and their religious affiliations in America. After noticing an uptick in nonreligious households, Bengston added secularism to the study in 2013. “Many nonreligious parents were more coherent and passionate about their ethical principles than some of the ‘religious' parents in our study,” said Bengston in an interview with Zuckerman. “The vast majority appeared to live goal-filled lives characterized by moral direction and sense of life having a purpose.”

"For secular people, morality is predicated on one simple principle: empathetic reciprocity, widely known as the Golden Rule. Treating other people as you would like to be treated. It is an ancient, universal ethical imperative. And it requires no supernatural beliefs.”
And check this out: Atheists “were almost absent from our prison population as of the late 1990s,” accounting for less than half of one percent of inmates, according to reports by the Federal Bureau of Prisons. “This echoes what the criminology field has documented for more than a century,” Zuckerman writes, “the unaffiliated and the nonreligious engage in far fewer crimes.”

Additionally, a troublesome report from the BBC last year found that religious children were less likely than their nonreligious peers to distinguish fantasy from reality, based on a study conducted by Boston University. Presented with realistic, religious, and fantastical stories, children were then asked whether they thought the story was real or fictional. Researchers found that “[c]hildren with a religious upbringing tended to view the protagonists in religious stories as real, whereas children from non-religious households saw them as fictional.” And why is this problematic? Because it muddies the waters of a child’s differentiation between reality and fiction, and even the spiritual from the fantastical.

“For secular people, morality is predicated on one simple principle: empathetic reciprocity, widely known as the Golden Rule. Treating other people as you would like to be treated,” writes Zuckerman. “It is an ancient, universal ethical imperative. And it requires no supernatural beliefs.”

Read Zuckerman’s full report over at the Los Angeles Times. And then with all this in mind, go forth and rear your godless hellfire demon children, y’all.

HippieChick58 9 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion being taught to children is child abuse

It does not matter as long as some sort of "spanking" and other disciplinary methods allowed and not treated as child abuse. Overall status of child and juvenile education is extremely "softened" to giving children way too much choice to decide before they grow up. Physical education had been "shrinked" to just writing essays on exercises and nutritions instead of proving yourself with physical abilities so to accommodate overweight and/or obese children. Way too much anti-bully going on instead of encouraging to engage in sports to train to resist. If let's say religious school would provide workshop and physical education lessons and pay less attention to the bully victims, then graduates of such school will certainly be more superior and knowledgeable than ordinary public non-religious school.
There's way too much generalization and emphasis to advantage/disadvantage of religious education or religious school vs. secular school.

I, as an atheist, and my husband, as a recovering Catholic, decided to raise our daughter "exposed" to religion but free to make up her own mind. I usually worked on the weekends, so on Sundays my husband and daughter could be found at one of the local religious institutions. There were also family events that would take place at churches like funerals and weddings. She got the idea and when she grew up she chose to be an atheist. So I am good with the outcome. I am not like a lot of atheists. I am not anti-religion. I believe that people have a right to worship or not.

Having been raised religious, I was raised to be of the Mormon faith, I found myself at a disadvantage when it came to dealing with the realities of the world. I was, in effect, unprepared for the realities of the world. As an adult i found I was very naive about a lot of things, and that my childhood was very sheltered, as I and most of my siblings were discouraged from learning about the world outside of the church, and even from making too many friends who were not also members. Yes, the Mormon church is kind of cultish in many ways ...

Children should be aware of religion but not raised in religion. My 2 daughters claim to believe because they know my past and cannot figure out why I stopped believing. If I talk to them they both claim to understand what I am saying but they appear to be afraid to say "I do not know" on religious subjects. To be honest with yourself and others not knowing is a big part of life.

I believe that children should be taught 'reality'. It is a hard road to learn it latter in life. Trump supporters still live in 'a form of flat earth'. I knew that astrologers already knew that the earth was a globe in BCE, but there was a PBS program about that a few nights ago.

Children should be protected from religion.

I believe I have read the the Chinese philosopher, Confusious, was born about 300 BCE. He was a person who actually lived; I don't think he ever claimed to be able to "walk on water", as the mythical Jesus was reported to have done. I have not read one word of what was recorded of him, but I believe his fame is due to his vieuws on compassion. I think kids should be taught realistically between 'good and evil'.

Wow, the article is 9 years old, but still holds true, in my opinion. I raised my kids without religion and they are quite fair minded, non-racist, and can tell fiction from reality quite well. They read a lot of books when they were young and "fiction" and "non-fiction" was written right there on the library card! Too bad the bible isn't labeled so. 😉

Despite some actions by the religious ''right'' (in my daughter's pre-school.) I just told her that some people believe in god and some don't. But, as she got older, religious administration (no doubt) inserted a lot of xtian ritual. Luckily, though, they failed to capture her and.....she's never looked back.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:744499
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.