Agnostic.com

3 4

LINK After saying women who wear shorts deserve to be raped, pastor admits "I was wrong" -- Friendly Atheist

Pastor Bobby Leonard made the despicable comments in a resurfaced sermon from 2023

In a sermon clip that’s gone viral online, Pastor Bobby Leonard, the head of Bible Baptist Tabernacle in Monroe, North Carolina, complained about how so many women today wear shorts and that he would sympathize with any men who sexually assaulted them.

The clip was first shared online by BadSermons, who regularly shares clips of preachers behaving badly.

… I told my wife, I said, “Mama… when we go to Pigeon Forge, to the outlet malls… you'll find more women going to have shorts on than you will with pants and dresses put together.”

So I sat there… I sat there in my car. I thought, “Okay, I want to see if that's right.” And I counted. Try that!

You’ll find more women go into those places with shorts than you will women with pants and dresses put together. Try it. If you got time, try it. Have your boy go there and try it. Just watch for it. Have your girl go there and watch for it.

And you know, I used to say this. I haven't said this in a long time. You ready? I said, “If you dress like that and you get raped, and I'm on the jury, he's going to go free.”

You don't like [that], do you? I'm right, though. I can't help it if you don't like it. I'm right. Because, you know, a man's a man. A man's a man.

When I was a boy, 85 years ago… 80 years ago… I don't even remember women wearing anything but dresses back then…

There’s no subtlety here. Leonard openly said a woman who wears shorts deserves to get raped and that even if he had the power to punish her assailant, he wouldn’t use it because “a man’s a man.”

Which says a lot about how horrible he thinks men are. (To be fair, if you had to live in this guy’s mind all day, you’d probably think men were awful too.)

Meanwhile, he freely admits spending his time sitting in parking lots in order to stare at women wearing shorts.

It’s also disturbing to hear him say that when he was a child, he only remembers women wearing dresses, because the implication is that women weren’t sexually assaulted back then. They were. To put it in words Leonard would understand, men were still men.

Don’t let the congregation off the hook either. It didn’t seem like anyone walked out when he said that.

If you think that clip is taken out of context—not that there’s any context in which what he said is okay—I’d love to show you the full sermon… except it was removed. The church appears to have taken down both its Facebook page and YouTube account since the clip began circulating. (The original sermon was delivered in August of 2023. I was able to obtain a full copy of it from BadSermons.)

None of this, unfortunately, is new. Just a few years ago, Paige Patterson, the former head of the Southern Baptist Convention, was under fire after we learned he encouraged women to stay with their abusive husbands because divorce would go against God’s will. When he was head of a theological seminary, he also told a woman who claimed she was raped not to tell the police and to forgive the rapist.

All that’s to say the whole “Well, what was she wearing?” crowd is well-represented in pulpits across the country.

On a side note, the son of a (different) preacher at Bible Baptist Tabernacle was once arrested for sex crimes involving children. So maybe the focus of these sermons should be on the criminals working at the church’s day care and not random women wearing shorts.

While the social media pages for the church were still down on Thursday, a picture circulated online of the marquee outside the building. Signed by Pastor Leonard, it read, “I am sorry for any hurt. I was wrong.”

That’s a start. It would be far more useful if Leonard publicly explained what he was wrong about.

snytiger6 9 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

He has a problem.

Over the years I've seen many women in shorts. The thought of raping any one of them never entered my mind.

Gee, what incredible insight and introspection, lol..

The man is an arrogant prick! (And the the last word of the previous sentence was chosen carefully.)

Maybe he should spend a week in Cap D'Agde in France.

(For those of you unfamiliar with that place, it is a gated resort, and nudity is common there.)

The women would need bodyguards because... "A man's a man."

@Betty There are (gentle) men, and there are violent male assholes. 😟

@anglophone I don't think the "pastor" qualifies as a (gentle) man.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:747691
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.