Agnostic.com

11 23

LINK Amish man arrested for sex with daughters.

When I was driving bus, I befriended an Amish woman and if the bus wasn't busy, we would often talk. At one point she was coming into Lancaster on a regular basis and I could tell she wasn't acting her normal feisty self. She was coming in for the trial of her father, who had been arrested for molesting his niece. She was supposed to testify against him, because he had molested her when she was little. She was so upset that he had done it to her relative as well, not to mention who knows how many others. But her "church" group was putting a lot of pressure on her not to testify. In Amish land, pedophilia and sex with your daughters should be punished by God and taken care of by praying it away! Pretty much their treatment for the children who were molested as well. I can tell you, the praying didn't help Linda very much. She was a nice woman, but never married and continued to live the Amish lifestyle, but was severely damaged in many ways. Especially when she learned that her father's perversions were still going on and affecting more young women. But the Amish are so indoctrinated into their beliefs that fear of being shunned for not obeying their bishop is stronger than their fear of allowing a monster to continue to hurt more family.

Barnie2years 8 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have commented a few times about how humans are animals who evolved instincts to gather in groups for safety, and how those instincts are still active today, and people will join churches or remain in churches, because their animal instinct to belong to a group is so strong. They feel a really strong "need" to belong, that rationality does not figure into their actions.

Religion provides a sense of community and belonging which, in many cases, fulfills our instinctual need to belong to a community, and "belonging" makes a persons feel "safe". While that instinct may work well for humans living out in the bush, in modern civilization it creates opportunities for (sexual) predators, because people tend to let their guard down with others who are a part of the group or community.

If you ever wonder what a former atheist was thinking, or what happened to them, because they joined a religion, it is because their animal instinct to belong overcame their sense of reason and logic.

There are no Amish communities in the Pacific Northwest where I currently live, and there weren't any in Los Angeles where I grew up. Most of what I know about the Amish is what I have seen on TV or movies or read in books.

It is my impression that like every other religion there are those who honestly try to follow the teachings and live a righteous life, but there are also those who live a secret or double life, where they hide their true selves from their religious community.

The Amish are hard to pin down, as there is no central church authority, but each local community has a bishop who is the local church authority and it goes no higher. So, each Amish community ends up being slightly unique, even if they are similar in most ways. While some local churches may not do anything, others may cast out or shun members known to violate church doctrine (or to abuse children) hoping they will correct course, repent and return to the fold. I would not expect the Amish to be consistent from one community to the next because they have no central authority.

There is a book series I particularly enjoy by Linda Castillo, about a woman who grew up Amish, but left the fold and became a sheriff enforcing the law in the same Amish community where she grew up. Her upbringing gives her unique access to the reclusive community. Just thought I'd recommend the book series as, at least to a total outsider, it seems to give insight into the Amish, and does deal with the issue of their not wanting to cooperate with the laws of "the English".

Anyway, the problems of sexual abuse in a closed religious community are often a lot worse than in a religion that doesn't so adamantly separate itself from the rest of the world. From what I have read, sexual abuse for some is innate, while for others it is modeled. For those who it is modeled, that means they were abused as children themselves and for some of them, they internalize it as a "normal" sexual outlet, and go on to abuse other children. Of those, not all continue to do so (contrary to popular belief), but if they are in a community where sexuality is suppressed or discouraged, using children for sexual gratification is far more likely to happen and to continue as a cycle for many generations.

Note. When I say not all will continue sexually abusing children, there are many variables involved, and as a general rule is is "safer" to assume that they will, and if their life circumstances change it is possible they might resume after many years or normal or healthy (consensual) sexual behaviors. It all depends on how much psychological damage they experienced. It is possible that the parents reactions to finding out their child was sexually abused does even more psychological damage than the actual sexual abuse itself.

Personally, I do think people should be more honest and open about discussing sex and sex crimes to lift the stigma of shame from the victims and redirect all the vectorial for the predators and abusers.

Religion and churches are mostly responsible for the victims of sexual crimes being blamed for having been victimized in the first place.

I had lived in Amish areas of Lancaster for about 10 years. And as a bus driver, dealt with them as riders for 43. Amish are, first and foremost humans, just like the rest of us. Which means that like the rest of the population, the vast majority just go about their business as best they can. There are ambitious Amish, lazy Amish, bully Amish, queer Amish, pedophile Amish, sexual predator Amish. Amish who steal, Amish who are generous, Amish who are happy and ones that are depressed. The biggest difference is how these variations are handled. You are correct in stating that the Amish are lead by their local group bishop, who has to be consulted for any questions on the rules of being Amish, and has some discretion on enforcement. But the bishops have gatherings throughout the country where they set the standards for the entire Amish community. And though not as diverse as their Mennonite and Brethren anabaptist groups, there are certainly many regional differences The Lancaster PA Amish are the Old Order Amish, buggy driving, bearded men, traditional black garb with colored shirts. Men and women must keep their heads covered and they have religious servies every other Sunday in the homes of their group on a rotating basis. And we have what’s called the church Amish. They dress and look like the Old Order, but they have religious services in a church building and are allowed to have cars and tractors. If you go to Ohio or Indiana, you would notice many difference in those Amish. From the way they dress, the style of their buggies and even their language. But they still have gatherings with PA Amish to maintain their general Amish lifestyles.

@Barnie2years Thanks. Not having any Amish around any place where I have lived or traveled, like I said, all of my knowledge of the Amish comes from books, movies and TV shows, which I know are not exactly an accurate picture of the community. Although, the books by Linda Castillo do seem to come closest to what you described.

Religion and those that practice it are some pretty perverted fuks. And to think that they can stand there and proclaim to be the shining light to the world as our moral compass. What a joke.

In small conservative religious communities, that's where the highest number of sexual molestation and incest happens.

They're hard working and all and some are nice but many are scumbags they don't have to pay taxes either. They control a lot of wealth in Lancaster County but always plead poverty. Fuck the Dutch bastards.

Well now……some of ‘em certainly know how to keep it in the family!!

how biblical

Not only the Amish.

This is horrifyingly common in cloistered religious groups of all stripes. The more insular the group, the more common from I have heard.

Sounds like a good-old-boys cult and real-life handmaid's tale. What a nightmare.

It's no accident that religions are patriarchal communities that isolate from the public and enforce total submission of women. It's all predator 101 shit. I can't imagine the strength it takes for someone to break free of that indoctrination enough to stand up to it, especially since the abuser will doubtless get a hand-slap sentence. It's so heartbreaking ...

Lauren Level 8 Apr 20, 2024

With the help of religion that glorifies the supremacy of men, it is easy for men to protect men.

Betty Level 8 Apr 20, 2024

That's what happens when women are chattel and the OT reigns.

Write Comment More
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:753646
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.