Agnostic.com

4 5

LINK Minnesota man urges school district to erect his Nine Commandments monument -- Friendly Atheist

Dennis Dodge, who can't count, wants the Park Rapids School Board to put up his donated Christian display

May 24, 2024

While some states like Louisiana are about to require public schools to post the Ten Commandments in every classroom, one delusional man in Minnesota is taking a more local approach in forcing his faith on others.

On Monday, Dennis Dodge appeared in front of the Park Rapids School Board to make a case to put a Ten Commandments monument on school grounds after it completes a renovation by fall of 2025.

Dodge knows the board well since he sat on it for 32 years, until 2022, so he felt comfortable telling his former colleagues why they needed to promote his personal God:

In his presentation, Dodge argued that current society is in a war between good and evil, and “Satan seems to be winning because we are allowing him to,” by allowing God to be pushed out of government, churches, homes and schools.

“Our society has lost its moral compass, its values and its respect for each other,” he said, adding that “if we can save even one child from Satan’s grapes, it is worth every cent we spend on this donation, because God’s children are priceless.”

Some people fear school shootings. This guy worries about “Satan’s grapes.”

Dodge appeared to know that there might be legal problems with his plan because he acknowledged prior Supreme Court rulings during his presentation.

In short, the Court has said in the past that a stand-alone Ten Commandments monument on public property is obviously an illegal promotion of religion while a broader display that includes the Ten Commandments is probably fine. Separately, the Court said in 1980 that a law requiring schools to post a copy of the Ten Commandments in classrooms was illegal because it lacked any secular purpose.

But, bizarrely, Dodge said none of those precedents applied in his situation because he wasn’t trying to win converts.

According to a Voice of America article that Dodge attached to a copy of his presentation, the U.S. Supreme Court “permits the 10 Commandments to be on public property so long as the goal of displaying them is not to gain support for religion.” 

He seriously argued that he’s not trying to gain support for Christianity; he just wants God to defeat Satan. See? Not religious at all.

It probably doesn’t help his case that a design of the monument he wants to donate says, on the back, “We must put God back into our educational system before we lose our children and this great nation.”

That’s not the most ridiculous part about the design, though.

That honor goes to the front of the monument… which only lists nine Commandments.

The missing Commandment is either the one about not worshiping false idols or not bearing false witness against your neighbors, depending on how you choose to count. Still, it’s hilarious that Dodge didn’t even bother looking at his own damn design and overlooked something so obvious.

If he can’t be expected to read the front of the monument, why the hell does he think students would?

In a letter to the school district, the Freedom From Religion Foundation’s Patrick O’Reily Legal Fellow Hirsh Joshi is warning officials not to allow this proposal to go anywhere.

“It should be obvious to anyone that the First Commandment alone — ‘Thou shalt have no other gods before me’ — is the antithesis of our First Amendment, which, by the way, is one of the principles that truly makes America great,” says FFRF Co-President Annie Laurie Gaylor. “The Park Rapids Area Schools has no business telling students which gods to have, how many gods to have or whether to have any gods at all.”

Referring to the missing Commandment, Joshi jokes, “The monument sends the message that school children don’t need to learn how to count.”

For now, the board hasn’t made any decision. Board Chair Sherry Safratowich said at the meeting that they would need to discuss the issue more before taking any sort of vote on the matter:

“What I’m looking for is information from folks in the community,” she said. “I know how I feel, but I’m only one person.”

That’s… not encouraging. The correct answer would have been to laugh Dodge out of the building and reject his idea without hesitation. It’s not just illegal; even if there were no legal obstacles, this still wouldn’t be a good idea. The Commandments serve no useful purpose when dealing with the very real issues confronting students today.

The students need a decent education. Hopefully one that includes a basic understanding of the Constitution—something Dodge clearly doesn’t value.

What they don’t need is a reminder of archaic rules about not obeying the Christian God, not working on the Sabbath, not committing adultery, or not committing adultery again (with the neighbor’s wife).

snytiger6 9 May 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In the mid 1800s' we used to commit people like him to asylums... I think ending that policy was a huge mistake...

It was in the early 1980's when the Ronald Reagan administration changed the definition of what kind of mental illness symptoms warranted a person being committed to an asylum. If a person was not an immediate danger to themselves or somebody else, they were taken out of asylums and put out on the streets. We had a huge explosion in homelessness in the 1980's due to that rule change. The idea was to no longer, or not bother to, spend money to treat the mentally ill to make them functional members of society. The money was diverted to defense spending instead.

Reagan promised to cut deficits and the national debt by cutting government waste. He changed his tune after an attempted assassination attempt. I can't say if the change of heart was related to the attempt on his life, but Hinkley, the assassin, who it turns out was deemed to be mentally ill (which is kind of ironic, as Reagan was responsible for a lack of resources to treat the mentally ill), was also known to be an acquaintance of the Bush family. George H.W. Bush would have become president if Reagan died.

Perhaps unrelated, but photos of George H.W. Bush, who was a member of the CIA at the time, shows him in Dallas on the day and near where president Kennedy was shot.

After Reagan's near death experience, he suddenly changed his tune and instead of reducing deficits, he more than doubled them, adding more to the national debt than any president before him.

Not that I am sure it is cause and effect, but his change of mind after being shot is note worthy.

They're going to force us all to believe so we all can remain stupid! I'm scared for our future!

Blashphemy!!! Altering the Word of Gawd is a stoning offense!!!!

It's right out of the scene in Monty Python's Life Of Brian, where the old man is set to be stoned to death for blasphemy, for merely saying the word Jehovah, while complimenting his wife's cooking. Then he defiantly starts shouting the word over and over, since they're going to kill him anyway, while the head priest tells him, "You're only making it harder on yourself".... Such perfect portrayal of the whole absurdity of religious dogma...

School children do not need to know how to count. I bet yo could end up cheating them out of a lot of money.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:756723
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.