Agnostic.com

21 2

Has religion deprived society of being able to cope with death? True or false?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It seems to me one of the reasons for the creation of religion was the inability to cope with death. I don't believe that has or will change.

Fear of death has been the greatest marketing tool for all religions. The fear of the unknown,and of death in particular, is inherent in the human condition, and while that leads to our survival instinct that is decidedly positive, but fear also sells. The shameless shamans have been using it like that for centuries and centuries. Some people catch on, but far too many swallow the bait hook, line, and sinker.

it's a huge factor though it doesn't deal with the worst part which is dying at all

I'm not sure that where society is now (at least, in America) is because of religion, or just ignorance. We have gotten so far removed from Disease and Death as a whole, that instead of realizing that death is simply the natural progression of things, Death is feared, the sick are chastized, and we treat the passing of people as though it was unexpected thing. It's almost like we all expect to live forever - and we know we won't. It reminds me of try to tell a five year old something they don't want to hear - they hold their ears closed and go , 'La La LA Lala LA' until they drown you out - because if they don't hear it, it's not real.

But it is very much real. So, is the fear cultural, religious, or something even deeper?

NO! Religion has always existed in one form or another. It's pretty much our default setting. Native Americans didn't fear death and they had forms of religion. I think materialism has. We're so focused on what we can get... and then we feel like we need to keep it. I think the Buddha was right when he said that suffering comes from our unwillingness to accept that everything is temporary.

I don't think you can blame religion for this one. I blame Doctor shows where there is always one last procedure that saves the day.

My grandmother had to bury a husband and three sons. Yes, she was deep in grief, especially Uncle Walter, her youngest boy, but at the same time I felt she had a sense of acceptance. I think people who grew up on the farm, that visited neighbors to help, none of that end of life care stuff, I think they understood life and death better.

I'm a mortician by trade. I think religion changes the way people grieve greatly, and gives a bit of common structure to how they plan the funeral. It also gives them a hopeful outlook on what the afterlife holds for them. But to answer the ability to cope with death, I think it causes a confusing situation for those that are religious but not necessarily true believers.

Religion is a way of coping with death, just an illusory way of coping with death. In fact, if there were no death, there may not be much of a need for religion. Why would you need religion if you lived forever?

Not sure, but I believe it deprives people of the opportunity to progress. It's usually the ultra religious that are the most resistant to change. Examples of that would be Christians attitude towards civil rights, women's rights, equality in marriage, abortion and birth control.......

WHY DO I BELIEVE IN SOMETHING THAT YOU CANNOT SEE, HEAR OR FEEL?
It's simple, Faith! The same Faith that ye all have when you turn on a 'light switch' you can see, hear or feel what makes the bulb light yet ye all have faith that it will work!
It's the same Faith that ye all have when you go into a shop to buy something for a few cents with a 20 euro/dollar bill. Ye have 'Faith' in the countermand giving you the change!
Tell me what's the difference?

IDK... ive never comforted an atheist thats dying. What do you say. Have a wow journey?

I don't kno was I have always been atheist but I am not scaared of dying and pretty sure death is going to be the end of me.

Personally i do not believe in death but the new life, the word death is too final a 'cul de sac' in life. Religion even organised by the church helps me in these beliefs

False i believe religion help one understand the pain and loss with death and i think it can help us prepare for our own in a totally individual way!

Interesting that you claim to reconcile being a humanist, a freethinker, and a believer. Seems to me that freethinker and believer are mutually exclusive. In what way do you think that religion helps us deal with death? Is it by believing in heaven and hell, and that we will be reunited with our loved ones in another life after death? That seems like wishful thinking to most of us here.

I think so. There is so much uncertainty if you think your soul will go on beyond death.

To a certain point yes definitely so!!, people that are religious and Christian or Catholic literally revolve their life around what happens after death where does the soul go..,. Cause they are scared of the spooky language in 2,000 yr old. Writings,!!

I think so

I don’t think it has deprived anyone of being able to cope with death. For some, the only way they know how to cope with death is through religion. For me, I have long accepted that as far as I can tell, what happens when you die is you simply cease to be as you are: that’s all we know so far anything else is mere speculation. I’ve made my peace with this, largely because there is nothing I can do about it and that is the stoic way. However, for some the hope that one day they will get to see long lost family members or live on themselves helps to get them through the day. Religion serves to allieviate the burden of these topics from people: it’s like a pain killer. However for some like myself we enjoy facing the pain, we enjoy facing the bare truth because at least for me it makes me feel brave and gives me strength.

True They make everyone fear death and there isn't anyway around the fact it will happen.

I don't think any of us can truly 'cope' with death 100%. It's too profound, final, brutal and incomprehensible because it's tied to the universe and all its mysteries and unanswered questions.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:75683
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.