Agnostic.com

37 5

What's the nicest thing you've ever done for another person?

kensmile4u 8 May 9

Post a comment Reply Add Photo

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Held an 82 yr old woman in my arms to cry, when 5 minutes before she had found out her 55 yr old son had died of a heart attack.

Refrained from murdering them despite the fact that they deserved to be snuffed out.
I'm nice like that. Also, jail sounds hideous.

hahahaha!

Opened my home to a homeless woman and her infant until she could get back on her feet.

What about you, Ken?

Thanks for all that you do Victoria. πŸ™‚

I have opened my home on several occasions to help extended family until they could get back on their feet. I opened my home for two years to a homeless couple so they could get established. When my cousin in South Florida contracted ALS I dedicated one weekend a month (as did other members of my family) as his care giver until he died. I have spent many weekends volunteering with habitat for humanity. I occasionally volunteer at a local safe house for victims of domestic violence. When the US Government asked for technical help on a secret military system i helped design i volunteered to go to Saudi Arabia and become embedded with the US Air force during operation Desert Storm to ensure successful deployment of that system. I have been an AAU basketball coach for several years in the past and I have paid for several tournament entries and uniforms for the boys. I have played many concerts for charitable causes. Just yesterday I caught a man as he was falling to the floor while having an epileptic seizure at my local Publix grocery. I held his head and monitored his breathing and pulse while another good samaritan called EMT's. It was a response that most people would do if the situation was presented to them. That event is what caused me to write this post. The list goes on and will continue to grow. I pay it forward as often as I can. πŸ™‚

@kensmile4u "I pay it forward as often as I can."

I love that -- my motto, too -- and thank you for all you do and have done, Ken. In addressing your question of a singular nature, what do you think was the nicest thing you've ever done for someone?

@VictoriaNotes It's hard to narrow that down. It depends on my definition of the word nice. Is a life guard being nice when saving lives? After all that's what they are paid to do. Is a brother being nice when he pays for his brother's relocation after his divorce? Or is that what a brother must do? @Slappy_Longarms kind comment reminded me of something i did that brought an unfortunate woman to tears. I'll call that the nicest thing for today. I was flying my family back from a Jackson Hole backcountry vacation. On the flight from Denver to Orlando my son drew a center row seat next to a woman who was a quadruple amputee. I had a window row seat a few rows ahead. After we took off I could see that my young son was uncomfortable so i switched seats with him. I immediately started talking to this woman and quickly found out she had recently been through an unbearable experience. She had been in the hospital for many months fighting a flesh eating bacteria which resulted in amputations at the knees and elbows. Prior to that she was perfectly healthy. She was flying to Orlando to have a family vacation. She had been house bound prior to the flight and was emotionally fragile. She was grateful that i was showing a sincere interest in her story. She slowly told me about her infection, the tragedy of the amputations, the long recovery, and how it effected her daughters. She was so hopeful that the vacation would help her turn the corner on her despair. I told her how impressed I was with her strength and resilience. I told her I was sure that her family was grateful that she fought so hard to live through all that pain. She looked at me and started to cry. I gave her a hug and she told me that people in the airport treated her like a leper. We spent the rest of the flight talking about her vacation plans in Orlando. I gave her some tips on where to eat and so forth until the flight was over. I learned that day a simple act of kindness at precisely the right moment can create a big difference in a person's life to lift them up. Lift and repeat. Lift and repeat. Lift and repeat!!!

@kensmile4u Thank you for sharing the story.

"It depends on the definition of the word nice."

OK, what exactly did you mean in your OP when you used the term, nice --- when you asked us that question?

@VictoriaNotes In the question I posted I opened up the definition of "nicest" to include anything done by the community for anyone else. In my own case I narrowed it down to things done for strangers.

"In my own case I narrowed it down to things done for strangers."

@kensmile4u Same with me. I was just curious which one was the nicest (for you) because you seemed to indicate that you wanted us to answer with the nicest thing, as in singular act. I guess I misunderstood.

@VictoriaNotes I posted the question with no expectations or limitations because people interpret questions differently. I create posts mainly to learn from the stories this community has to tell.

@kensmile4u No prob. I've learned a lot from this post about your wording style.

The person was my sister, and I booked and paid for a vacation in the lovely city of Asheville, NC. It was my gift to her, as well as a chance for us to spend time together after five years apart.

Your sister is lucky to have you. Good for you.

what did you think of asheville?giving serious consideration to moving there.went las month and I thought it was cool.thanx

Hmmm... I don’t want to say because a good deed needs no reward... but it made me feel good, perhaps as much if not more than them... I think we are wired to feel good when we do good to the point of selfishly helping others. I can’t imagine a better way to be selfishπŸ™‚

"I think we are wired to feel good when we do good to the point of selfishly helping others. I can’t imagine a better way to be selfish."

Well said, and studies show that we do get rewarded neurochemically for doing good deeds.

I've done volunteer work with handicapped children and their families. I've advocated at medical evaluations in Boston, educationally at IEP meetings (indl educational plan) and support with social services.

That's awesome! Thanks for being you.

There are a number of things, but my favorite happened this past winter. I lived in an extremely bad part of the city where addicts would stand outside stores asking for change. (Trust me, they were zonked and not homeless) A man approached me as I came out of a store and promptly asked for change because his family was starving. I told him I couldn't give him money, but would gladly walk across the street to a take-out and let him order whatever he wanted. He almost hugged me.

Donating work as part of a volunteer crew to the Habitat For Humanity, and seeing the joy of struggling family walk into their new house.

That must be so awesome to witness. Warms my heart reading your comment.

Give them my heart and my time.....

jasen Level 7 May 9, 2018

Saved their life

Hard to say. I've done a lot of nice things.
OK....at a strawberry festival in upstate NY/US...lots of people milling about.
Two young women were sitting at a table, one obviously under developed mentally, smiling and waving to everyone. Everyone ignored her.
I waved, sat and talked with her and her sister for a while.
Her happiness at having someone stop and talk was exuberant and her sister appreciated it also.
I grew up with challenged people next door.

Nice!

I would have talked with them anyway but I was really dismayed at how many studiously avoided them.
People can be assholes.

I don't think that's up to me to determine. If I were to start naming "nice" things I think I've done for others, it would just seem like bragging to me.

Same. I'm always trying to do nice things, make someones life a little easier. I don't ever keep a tally. Hopefully my actions speak for themselves...

I married her !

Happily and forever after.

I dunno...I don't really think of it in terms of "nice scale" I just do good things

Like what?

When I lived in the lake district, Ambleside, the school children had their sports day and then ran up Helvellyn ,the local fell. One boy was told not to go as he had asthma but he went anyway and my partner and i had already climbed the fell in advance to cheer on the stragglers from the top. The asthmatic one sort of 'fitted' ,and I carried him down. He was pretty big and when people came running to help I was near the bottom but there was a gate to be crossed - people by this time had realised that we needed help and I couldn't let go of him - I Think I was in some sort of altered state like in a battleground situation - All was well in the end wehn lots of people were around and the local doctor etc.

Nothing that I wasn't justly punished for πŸ˜›

Lol

Let them go.

Taken care of myself.

Today I got my boss a free Rt 44 drink from Sonic. I filled out the survey. They wouldn't let me have a water, well, they charge for water. Oh well. It was 80Β°F out. I walked the whole way to Sonic.

I told them the truth about Jesus.

Waited in the wings for over 12 years. Still waiting to some degree I suppose, only from 1,400 miles instead of 1.

I left.

Hmmm.... that rings a bell for me...

@BucketlistBob ?

TOLD THEM THE TRUTH. Painful for them and it can take a long time to sink in. But when you speak from your heart as most Native Americans tried to at one time you will become cognizant of the ritual.

Whatever it is, I did it when no one was watching and nobody needs to know anyway......but yeah, I have and its awesome

Paid a friend's rent from my own money when she couldn't afford it.

I was fortunate enough to be there for my mother in the last several years of her life after she suffered a stroke. She had other issues too and was completely disabled and could only get around her own house with a walker. We had to use a wheelchair to go outside of the house, to visit friends and family, and to appointments. I took care of her and took care of her house, and made it so she could stay in her house. The last year I had to hire a full time caregiver. She was always there for me and deserved to be treated like a queen In her castle in her final years.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:77356
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.