Agnostic.com

38 5

Do You Think We Tend To Over Endulge When It Comes To Our Pets?

I do not pose this question as a hypocrite as you can see from the picture provided, I purchased this couch for my dog today.

I remember as a kid, pets were usually outside, eating leftovers, and basically allowed to be one with the environment instead of the household.

These days we treat our pets like children. We keep them inside, we groom them, get them vaccinated, and we often take them with us in our cars. Some even put their pets in daycare or pet retreats.

Please tell me do you think we over do it with our pets....

• 27 votes
  • 21 votes
twshield 8 May 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think we over indulge our politicians. Pets deserve special treatment, they love us.

I think we should give our pets AND our children everything we're capable of giving! We adore them!

Duke Level 8 May 12, 2018

My cat deserves all the indulgence I provide to him. There is no such thing as over-indulgence when it comes to pets. Unless they have their own iPad inside their private Yurt...

What a ridiculous suggestion! Overindulge? I would never overindulge my pets!
Why just today, when I agreed to take the small one for a ride, I told her we would have stop at the store because I needed to pick up cat food. It didn't bother her, as long as I agreed to go to the store where they are happy to see her and the staff all know her on sight. Fine, they have cat food. BUT, I told her clearly, I was NOT going to buy her anything at the store, we were going for cat food.

I stood by that promise, I did not buy her anything. She rode around the store in the cart, sitting on her blanket that I keep in the truck for trips to the store. She has well behaved, politely sniffed the clerk's hand and didn't bark at any children running in the store. Since she had been well behaved during her Saturday bath and had put on her fleece onesy, she believed that she deserved a reward, so I did share the cookies I couldn't resist buying, but only 2 pieces.

We stopped to visit the neighbor on the way home and she took a short nap on my lap, after checking for any dropped goodies in the kitchen. The neighbor hadn't put down a snack for her so, rather disappointing but she felt better after a nap. When she decided it was time to go, she kept it mostly to howl..whuffs until she thought I was ignoring her but she held her big barks for when we went out the door, in case the dog at the next house was out.

She had supper, like the other dogs, with only a little "gravy" on top for flavor and has been sleeping in her bed in the library as I type. I covered her with her library blanket, per our agreement, except for that one time when she had to politely remind me that she had gone for a drink and needed covered again. Otherwise, she has been the picture of average doginess all evening. How someone could think I overindulge my pets is............

Sorry, gotta run, the cat would like the window to be opened now that it is dark.

❤

Sounds like a perfectly normal day to me, except how you kept it down to 2 treats in the store.....

Since my pets are my "children", they live better and eat better than I do. I wouldn't change a thing.

We have cats... of course we over indulge them. They demand it.

@SACatWalker Right.

This is a tough question for me: I believe indulgence is an integral part of caring for someone, so the things you named aren't over-indulgence to me. When a human extends the love for their pets in an unhealthy - even dangerous - way, then they have crossed over to indulging themselves, not their pets. For instance, me lifting my aging cat to the sink to drink isn't over-indulging, it's a kindness.

btw, that couch is ADORABLE, and it looks like she agrees!

@twshield Right you are! I'm sure she feels likewise - I can tell by that adoring gaze. 🙂

Mine was my favorite child. Always happy to see me. Never asked for money. ?

jab60 Level 6 May 12, 2018

Some do, some don't.
If it makes you happy, and your pet is happy and healthy generally, then go for it. I would rather spend money on my pets than for a sport.

Around me, there's people who believe animals should be left on chains outside. My husband actually rescued his family's dogs from only living outside, with bare minimum food and few vaccines. He moved out and took the dogs. Had to treat one for heartworm.

She's now a spoiled brat, but happy.

Some people definitely do, to the point of absurdity.
As much as I love my girl, I do not feel that she is over-indulged. I don't spend
money on unnecessary stuff. She gets good food, the proper care, and has
her own bed. She's not getting around as well as she used to, but she still acts
like a puppy when she's of a mind to. She has been my constant companion nearly
every single day of the last 12 years. She'll be 13 in September. I'm going to do
everything within my power to keep her healthy and with me as long as possible.
I am well aware of the inevitable, and already know I'll be able to do what's best for
her, when the time comes. Until that day comes, we are a package deal, and I wouldn't
trade a minute of that for all the money in the world.

My dog of almost 17 years died 2 days ago. He was a pit/lab/boxer mix. As he got older, I made sure he had what he needed to be comfortable & maintain a good quality of life. When he could no longer jump up on my bed, I made steps for him (I'm handy like that). When those became too much, I moved into a different bed that was smaller & lower to the floor & got him an orthopedic bed. He went everywhere I went on vacations & trips & was a welcome addition. Friend & family met today for a memorial cookout in his honor (yes, Puck was a very good boy).

He was my responsibilty & my companion for all that time. I made sure he had quality food that was healthy for him & did not trigger his food allergies as well as proper medical care. Grooming was an at home experience.

If some folks want to indulge their pets, more power to them as long as the indulgences do not cause health problems or risks for the pet.

I'm sorry about your loss, @SallyInStitches - just two days ago! The memorial cookout sounds like a heartwarming way to honor him.

some of the breeds that exist today don't seem well suited for outdoor life 24/7. our Indulgence to have these breeds causes us to be responsible for taking care of them I suppose. I wonder if it's not a question more like are we over indulging ourselves. I really don't know.

Every thing my dog gets he deserves

Yes... we got a whole shelf of doggy treats and bags of dog food.

Sure, but they give more to me than most humans. I spoil my furbabies.

For the love and loyalty they give, we can never overindulge them enough.

If we have pampered pets, instead of children, I would say yes.

I own a dog daycare business and make my living off of "Pampering" if that s what you want to call it. Seriously though choosing to have a dog as a life companion is a huge commitment. Most dogs these days if well cared for can live well into their teen years. We humans are there sole providers and they are like having a toddler in your life daily as we must do everything for them. That said I have found that the more time, care, training and affection you put into a dog, the more you get back. In fact you get it back at an exponential level. They are always there for us, don't generally hold grudges and are always able to make us laugh and smile. They do require our attention though. If we neglect them or don't fulfill their needs or train them to understand our wants and communication they can become a burden on many levels. As far as spoiling, educate yourself on their safety and health and then spoil away. If it makes them and you feel good then we both win.

That is what they are there for. Spoil them l say.
??

I admit I cook up an extra beef patty or chicken breast for the dog when I make them for myself. We both get a lot of joy from it think. I've tried giving it to my cats but they could care less and would rather have their crappy canned food.

Hey there TW,

Put simply I would say,in my opinion, on balance no we do not overindulge our pets.
However like everything in life there are many exceptions to the rule, and sometimes pet owners, albeit well meaning, do cross the line.
When they indulge their pets to the detriment of the pet itself, then that line has been crossed. Examples: over feeding or feeding them the wrong foods like chocolate etc
Or dressing pets in silly outfits for the sole amusement and ego of the owner. The same goes for dying a pets fur unusal or unnatural colours for stupid and selfish reasons.

@twshield My wife tried once with our Jack Russell....once....the dog bit her..never tried it again! ??

@twshield She had it coming..anyway. ??

We can indulge our pets as much as we like without 'spoiling' them. It is unwise to do this with our children.

Yes, we do.
But I like them and it's my choice.

I do!!!!!!!!

I don't overindulge my pets. I sometimes buy things for them for my amusement. I regard myself as a parent to them, I do make sure they get their vaccinations, however that is a city ordinance to keep them licensed and legal in my city. I occasionally will make things for my cats, again for them but because it is for my amusement. As for food, pre-WWII yes, animals were fed scraps and they lived longer for it. After WWII factories that made military supplies were retooled to make things for civilian use, and with the help of advertising the pet food industry was born. My cats are not allowed out of the house, they have to eat what I bring in for them, and I don't have time/interest in making my own cat food. When I had a dog it was the same way. I don't begrudge someone spending more on their pets, but you have to admit it is for the pet parent much more than for the animal. Is that indulgence of the critter or the human? It is for the human. All our critters want is to be with us. If it makes the pet parent happy who cares if it is overindulgence or anything else. I'm not going to judge how someone spends their money, and I'm not losing sleep wondering who is judging me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:79861
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.