Agnostic.com

59 12

Did something bad that happened to you as a child turn you away from religion

When I was in my 20's I was looking for answers about my life and why I never seemed to be at peace. I talked to preachers and anyone that would talk to me about the dark reality of human nature (Why seemingly decent people could hurt children for example) one preacher I spoke with about my disbelief asked me right off the bat "if I had been molested as a kid" I told him yes and he immediately said that was the reason I turned my back on God. He was wrong but I never forgot his way of thinking..ive heard it in different ways from others since then..i don't believe it and never will. I was already aware to some extent of the problems I had with a god before. My first memories are of sunday school lessons and my doubt. So to answer my own question- I do not believe that my rough childhood lead me to turn my back on religion but it did lead to the critical thinking at a young age that ultimately lead me to what I feel is the truth (That there is no god) I can be a loving caring person without God and probably more so..so how did any bad experiences lead you to your ultimate truth?

River-david 5 May 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Actually something good happened I just didn't know it at the time. My mother was a fundy in the Nazarene church but she always allowed me to question everything. Big mistake, I left god and the church at 18 and never looked back. I am 75.

Reading the Old Testament..so much rape, stoning ,pillage, human sacrifing, and general smiteing that it struck me as very strange as a child...and as an adult..so full of contradictions and hypocrisy...all seemingly encouraged and sometimes perpetrated by God or who ever he happened to be directing his will at the time. Just dreadful nonsense....

On the flip - nothing ever happened to turn me to religion.
Never had it or saw any reason to.

Yes, something did happen when I was young that turned me against : the frontal lobes of my brain became fully developed! 😉 But not to make light of your question ( which is a good one), there seems to be a pervasive message coming from many in the religious community that trauma, damage, or at least some sort of confusion took place somewhere along the line that made people "turn their back on God." It's that patronizinly beatific smile you receive when being spoken to by someone who clearly believes you are misguided and in need of saving. I'm sorry about the real trauma you experienced and even more sorry that the messages you received from some were that you were clearly broken and in need of fixing as a result of that trauma, which must only have added to your sense of isolation. But kudos to you for developing your critical thinking skills and forging a rational path to peace of mind for yourself!

Never believed so didn't have to have anything bad happen. But always knew that good without god is the best way to be.

Yes I was introduced to God and that ruined my free will so I let god go.

EMC2 Level 8 May 13, 2018

Over religious people who tried to talk “God” into me 24/7. Going to church with my grandparents. My over religious friends. My athiest family/friends.

If God wanted us to follow all these rules and “not commit sins” (which if there was such thing as God condemning us for sins, I woulda been smited 7 times by God himself like 5 years ago) he could’ve made us all the same. We have choices, were not FORCED to follow any rules. I don’t believe in the bible for this exact reason. “You’re going to hell if u breathe” pretty much what it’s saying in my opinion.

No and I thought the adults in my life were stupid for believing in fairy tales.

No. something good happened. i discovered reality

I like that alot.thanks

It’s hard to say. For me it’s a combination of my childhood experiences, my personality, and the family situation I grew up in. I can look at all those things and see ways in which each one of them influenced my decision to leave organized religion behind.

No

Marz Level 7 May 13, 2018

Yes.

I was born a catholic and we had some not so nice nuns and a very arrogant bishop where I came from. Not that I had to suffer from it. For me common sense tells one that there cannot be a god as it says in the bible.

Well, many things, good & bad happened to me as a child, but none of it had anything to do with my atheism. I loved Science Fiction & Fantasy (still do), but I early on realized the difference between fiction & fact, or at least reality! Tho I didn't become active for years I just stopped believing the "story". It made no sense to me. The actions of the nuns & priests in Catholic school didn't help bolster their claims, either, but that is not what led to my unbelief. I just could not reconcile the narrative with what I observed, & the more I observed & the more I learned, about anything, the more this was so.

yes, being sent to Sunday fucking school when I didn't like the normal school that much.

Honestly I looked for god didn't find either him or anything else so I looked harder and saw the truth gave up hope embraced nihilism

Somebody tried to convince me about a belief system that was the dumbest thing I ever heard of.

my father disgusted me on so many levels. he was a phoney, crazy, religious person. enough said.

Bad things did not make me an atheist. However, bad things encouraged my journey toward being an anti-theist

Although our fine details of the badness of religion are likely different, we have arrived at the same conclusion with similar rational. Kudos.

There wasn't any one particular experience. More like a long procession of people behaving in a decidedly un-Christian manner, such as when I worked for a bishop who was verbally abusive and threatened me with things like, "I WILL make you cry." I tend to be absurdly loyal so I blamed myself for not being good enough well into my twenties. And a good part of my thirties. Sometimes I battle it still.

Loyalty is a honorable equality. I share that with you. My loyalty has been miss placed at times, it's definitely a part of the learning process...ty

I wrote you a book and deleted it. Yes i didnt believe in god as a child. Personal reasons.

David, your comments about the reaction to that Pharisee's judgment of you for having been abused makes me angry on your behalf. It is such a cheap shot. Many many children are abused. Most remain religious, so his assumption explains nothing. If you had told him "no" to his question, he would have fished for another experience to blithely explain your coming to sanity...or what he surely considered your loss of holy Truth, with a capital "T." Parents divorcing, death of a family member, being bullied, struggle academically, family financial hardship, and on and on. Nearly everyone has gone through something. And ass-wipes like this guy would grab at any of those excuses just to dismiss the possibility that, just maybe, you came to a logical conclusion based on principled reasoning. It is quite obnoxious on that guy's part.

Thank you

My husband did. He was 8, 9ish I think? He was very studious and religious, haing read the entire bible twice over by that time. His church caught on fire and he couldn't reconcile how a good, just God would just let that happen. It all went downhill from there...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:80038
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.