Agnostic.com

21 7

What is your ultimate goal in life?

That age old question what is the meaning of life to you and what is your ultimate goal for yourself? I feel confident there is no grand purpose other than what we create ourselves and what it all boils down to is living an enjoyable life perhaps leaving the Earth and the people we meet a little better off than before we came and met them. There are so many factors out of our control that each of us must simply do the best we can with the hand we are dealt and control what we can. Having a positive attitude is paramount and taking care of ourselves first I believe is the way to ensure we can give our best to others for as long as possible. We only have one life and however long that is as long as it can be happy and enjoyable then I think we can call it a success.

lkahleski 6 May 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I really just want to be happy. I recently realized possessions are meaningless. I find comfort in minimalism nowadays.

Me too. I’ve moved a lot in the last four years so needed to ditch nearly everything. I find that I’m better off.

At age 10, I laid on the living room floor watching President John F. Kennedy give his Inaugural Address. When he said, "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country," his words hit me in the center of my chest.

I got a Master of Public Administration degree because I get the greatest reward from doing work that helps other people. Also, I have been volunteering since age 21.

As a volunteer college mentor for 14 years, I help low income, minority students write essays for college entry and scholarship applications. These are remarkable young people. It thrills me to send these kids to college.

One of my best success stories is Brenda, won $269,545 in scholarships and grants in 2016. A sophomore at Wesleyan University in Connecticut, Brenda plans to become a medical doctor and pathologist. She hopes to cure diseases.

Being a high school mentor is the most rewarding volunteer work I have ever done.

I wanna die before my savings run out. That would be the ultimate goal, enjoying the hell out of life while doing it is the other.

Seems achievable.

@lkahleski You haven't seem my savings 😟 And then there is the SS question... will it still be there when I retire, if I retire. And medicare. Lots of uncertainty due to the current administration.

Mine's kinda shallow - make lots of money and spend it all having a great time traveling alone and with family to ultimately die with just enough money left to throw an amazing party to celebrate my life.

Whatever makes you happy! Just don’t waste your life while you’re making all that money 😉

Yeah ya right!

to become a recognised artist

Good luck!

@lkahleski thank you

I really hope that happens for you.

@Ellatynemouth again thank you

Pretty much what you said. But I would like to pay off my home before I croak so that my girls will have a nice nest egg and can afford to do something awesome that I could never afford for them as a single parent. Twenty years ago I would have wanted so much more but aging gives one a nice adjustment to perspective and a greater appreciation for inner peace and life harmony. On a much more superficial level, I would like to discover the world's most comfortable shoes and stockpile a lifetime supply!

I’m sure your kids will be just fine with or without a nest egg. It’s an admirable goal though.

I wanted to live through work on Monday. Woah another success story!

What it has been since my mid 20's, to live my life on my terms. I have managed to do that for most of the last 45 yrs., and hopefully into the future for a while.

Are you truly living on your own terms?

@lkahleski I have played music, something l love, for a living for most of my adult life. I sleep when l want l eat when l want. I have way more free time than most folks to play golf, or paint, or read, or do nothing. So l think so. ?

Hah..! My ultimate goal is to die peacefully and painlessly in my sleep, as I suspect it may be for most. Perhaps you should have asked about penultimate goals?

Quite a goal there!

To enjoy each day, whatever I choose to or not to do.
And I do.

I gave up on goals way early in my life. I found that people that focus on goals tend to miss life. I prefer to not worry about a goal or destination, I enjoy the journey.

Living a long and healthy life, surrounded by loved ones, in New Zealand, as a successful critically acclaimed writer and artist. And it would be nice if my writing and/or art made the world just a tiny bit better for everyone. And the too big to dream would be if I'm somehow remembered as a positive influence for centuries to come because of what I will leave behind when I go. Chances are small, but possible. Like Mark Twain or Shakespeare or Michelangelo or DaVinci, etc. (Too small, but there's still a fraction of a percent, lol)

Good luck!

Pretty much the same, I put a lot of energy into making sure I leave the place at least a little better for my having passed through. In all honesty, I should do a bit more re my own happiness. I am quite content, but never really do much for myself, there always seems to be so many other things that need doing. I turn 60 in 3 months, I do have a goal I want to achieve before then, but it is x rated, until 2 weeks back it was looking likely, now, not so much. Big disappointment.

Three people having sex is called a threesome, two people a twosome...now I know why they call you handsome!

@lkahleski ha, I have not heard that, love it.

I think you pretty much nailed it

Thank you!

To finish my mission here, my journey here with dignity, grace and a legacy of a job well done no matter how miniscule.

Constantly learn and simplify. Jettison the people/experiences/stuff that drag me down or distract me. Share what I've got, spend my life learning. (cool photo, BTW - I like the tilt)

My ultimate goal, and this is assuming that I may be mortal, would be that after everything I wanted to take care of is done so after I shuffle off this mortal coil I have a bank balance of Zero 🙂

My sole goal is to raise happy, healthy children who are able to become successful (whatever that means for each one separately), adults.

I've always said that if my kids want to hang out with their mother and I after they are adults and if they want to get together as a family for the holidays, then I will consider my life a success, and my goals achieved.

Just living life the way I want to is my goal.

Are you truly doing that?

@lkahleski At the moment, yes.

My goal has become to drop out. I bought a cargo van to live in but that got sidelined when I moved to Kansas City for work. I have 3 years before hitting 62. At that point I plan to start SS and move into the van, live where there’s sun and enough warmth for being outdoors, and drop out.

To have in every decade of my life exept the first one and my last one. To expand it , continue to have . It is not cheating... is my honest ultimate goal in life.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:81376
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.