Agnostic.com

26 2

How do you handle unwanted robo phone calls?

I always seem to get them during dinner. I have registered to the do not call registry and that didn't work, and blocking the call helps sometimes. They are getting sneaky and using the same area code and even the local three digits to call. Sometimes they tell you to hit 2 to not receive anymore calls and that is a waste of time because they keep calling.
I think it's hopeless!

• 17 votes
  • 29 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 12 votes
ebdb 7 May 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don’t answer my phone unless they are already listed in my contacts. If it’s important they’ll leave a message

Ha !!!... Been doing the answering machine for quite a while now. Some telemarketing are very persistent. Also some interesting patterns keep emerging. I get the call on regular basis where the message goes like "Is the lady or the men of the house please?"... Then couple of seconds of silence...then "Hello?... Hello?... Anybody there?'. At first I thought it was kind of stupid on them for talking like that when clearly they where talking to the answering machine... After few times then you recognize the call is exactly the same every time... It is a recording message that looks and feels like a real person !!!!... I do find that impressive and disturbing at the same time.

If I don't recognise the number, I don't answer the phone. If it is important, they will leave a message.

^^
me too

If I have the time, I play a game to see how long I can keep them on the line. My current record is 8 minutes 37 seconds.

lol

Try living with an 87 year old Republican who has written checks to various conservative causes. The phone calls start at 10am and continue until 9pm. I've told them he's dead. I've told them I am dead. I've told them to fuck off, and NOTHING seems to discourage them. I'm settling now for answering the phone while sticking it into the toilet and flushing. I mean, I feel bad for the schmoes who get paid to do these calls, but it's completely annoying. My dad will NOT give out his CC info over the phone. He will ONLY respond to mailed stuff with a mailed check. They don't care. They keep calling. Every. Single. Effing. Day.

@Shelton It is maddening. I have to constantly remind myself that some of those on the other end of the line are basically the poorest of the poor and this is the only job they can get. But I am still enjoying flushing the calls in the toilet.

I find the call center and burn it to the ground.

I never know what country the call center is.

lol

I do not answer the phone if I have not already saved the number or don't recognize it.

My VM message states that I will not return a call if a message is not left with a compelling reason that I do so.

Asshats.

Messages too.

I get one every few months that is:

"Liam wants to know if Michael would like to come over to play."

What in the actual Fuq?

If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. Especially if the area code and prefix match my own; tends to be a dead giveaway that it's a robocall.

Automated message - hang up.
Live person, depends on what I feel like doing.
I've hung up, kept them going with play, told them to kill themselves.

Easy. Let my answering machine (yes, I still have one !) take the call. If no message is left, I know it was a BS call !

I answer and don't say a word. They hang up after 15 seconds.

I don’t even answer the phone when a friend calls

As well as just hanging up I also wait till a person comes on the line and do the following:
1.Tell them about my day at work until they hang up.
2.Sound eager but every so often ask them to speak louder until they are shouting and eventually hang up.
3.Sound eager ask questions, answer theirs, stay on the line as long as possible, then when it comes to the sell I say they should talk to my mum or dad cus I can't make those decisions.
4.Say that sounds great but I just need to put you on hold for a minute, then walk off and make a cuppa. If they're still there after that I'll listen a minute before saying oops gota put you on hold again.
5.used to happen at work so I would just transfer them to another department and say they wanted something else.
Think thats everything ive done.
I may try yelling down the phone to the next one. Seems only fair I do it the other way around too.

Some creative ideas! The big question is does the same company continue to call?

@ebdb pretty sure they don't. But the point is to make the call go my way not theirs. As long as I have fun I don't have to care if its only ever been the one company calling.

I only answer numbers I know. If it is important they'll leave a message.

Lay the phone down and walk away.

Have a display on my phone. Block the persistent ones and don't answer the phone numbers I don't recognize. They can always leave a message if they are legit.

Options 2 through5, depending on how I feel at the moment.

It really depends upon my mood when the call comes through.

Mr. Number and got rid of the home phone

If you don't text me I don't answer.

I forgot to add answering machine to the poll. Looks like most people just let it ring.

ebdb Level 7 May 17, 2018

Answer and mess with their head !!

BLOCKED

N7EIE Level 6 May 17, 2018

Depends on my mood and if the caller id has a name I complain and vent.

Just block the number and don't answer private numbers

I thought you were going to give us an answer. None of the above work. When I get a 800# I pick up the phone, but don't say anything. It hangs up after about 10 sec. They are automated. I just can't stand listening to the phone ring.

I wish I had an answer.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:82995
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.